Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

DIY Digital Tach

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Digital Tach

I'm currently working on a digital tach project primarily for EG Civics but it should work with all OBD1 Hondas. The project details can be found here: http://hackaday.io/project/2614-Honda-Digital-Tach

There are links to the code repository and I'll be updating as I make progress. The goal is to get the whole thing down to a single PCB and inside a 1 or 2 piece 3d printable case. The project will be open source so anyone will be able to download, make and modify the design to their own needs.

Let me know what you guys think and if there are any features I should look into adding. Thanks!
Old 08-20-2014, 11:35 AM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: DIY Digital Tach

I like it when people have their own go-get-it projects What is your projected final cost? Neptune TunerView II is a similar (mass-produced) concept, and is only $179.99.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that's nifty! I suppose it could be adapted for a speedo, am I correct?
Old 08-20-2014, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARacist
I like it when people have their own go-get-it projects What is your projected final cost? Neptune TunerView II is a similar (mass-produced) concept, and is only $179.99.
Hahaha. For PCB+Components I'm hoping for under $20. Case cost I guess depends on what you make it out of and/or where. The 3D printing isn't something I'd be doing on my own so I'm not really sure of the costs involved. I'm more used to metal and CF.

Originally Posted by stupidhard
that's nifty! I suppose it could be adapted for a speedo, am I correct?
Yea that shouldn't be an issue. I'd have to get the waveform from the sender and adjust the code and the filter but there's no reason why the same approach couldn't be used.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:14 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Have you seen this thread? All sorts of words in there that I don't understand but I know enough that it gives me tingles.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by deschlong
Have you seen this thread? All sorts of words in there that I don't understand but I know enough that it gives me tingles.
Yea, those are pretty cool looking. However, it seems like getting the tach readings were something they weren't able to do so hopefully my filter can help those projects out. They go beyond what I was aiming for for this project but my next one I'm thinking will be a full on Motec style DAQ.