Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

distributors, timing, and engine idle speed.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default distributors, timing, and engine idle speed.....

can anyone explain to me how rotating the distributor one way or another affects the timing??

I adjusted my timing today since it was crazy advanced and was just curious about the above question....

and also, I realized that the timing of a car is also dependent on the engine's idle speed, correct? I noticed that if I altered the idle speed, the timing changed.

This means that I would need to get a handheld tach to set the correct idle speed for my car and then adjust the timing accordingly, right?????

Thanks for any info.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: distributors, timing, and engine idle speed..... (jefe)

bump
Old 08-09-2004, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ttt

Might as well ask this question too. While adjusting my timing this past weekend, I saw that my coolant was extremely low and I traced the leakage to the water pump (SUCK)......and I was curious if in the process of moving belts the crank pulley, etc to get to the water pump, if that can throw off the timing of a car????

I'm definately on a timing adjustment kick lately. Any info to quench my curiousity would be appreciated.

jefé
Old 08-09-2004, 02:10 PM
Electrician

Yes, the timing can be affected. It was affected when I did my timing belt. You definitely need to set the belt on straight and make sure your on TDC and you don't skip a tooth on the belt/gear. Not too hard to do.

If your timing does get thrown off and you know you didn't skip a gear, you'll need to adjust it with the distributor and don't forget to jump the ECU.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dimi)

anyone else on the questions posted at the top of this post?
Old 08-10-2004, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jefe)

ttt
Old 08-10-2004, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When the engine rotates at a faster speed the ECU works with the O2 sensor to adjust timing to optimum so it can be retarded or Advanced accordingly,

Now as far as idle speed goes, Yes you first adjust idle speed on your car by adjusting the Idle set screw above the Throttle body, Now you first have to bring the car to operating temperature before you can do this.

Once you set the Idle speed then you adjust Idle by jumping the ECU and putting into a Limp mode. Then use a timing light and adjust timing accordingly ( usually 16 degrees or the red mark on the crank)

Now when you change the water pump what you do is turn the crank till its TDC and also the Cam is TDC, to do this you will have to remove the valve cover and plastic timing belt cover to see the TDC for the CamGear. so when you put on the new water pump the timing should be close but always double check. Now if I was you I would replace the timing belt at the same time and also the drive belts.

Find a post on how to do a timing belt on your engine and becarefull of the Crank bolt, thats on tight and make sure you torque it to specs.

any other questions PM me