Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dilemma

Hello fellow H-T'ers! A bit of a dilemma has presented itself to me, and I thought I would ask your advice.

As I have said before, I drive a 1992 Civic DX with manual transmission, manual locks, manual windows, manual mirrors and a stock D15B7 with no real upgrades besides a K&N drop-in filter, tinted windows, two 10" Kicker Comp subs and a 500W Boss amp along with an old Pioneer head unit that was in the car when I bought it.

However, the opportunity has presented itself for me to purchase a 1990 Accord LX with manual transmission, power locks, power windows, power mirrors, a full body kit with fairly fresh paint, 17" 5Zigen rims with fresh tires, a stage 1 XTD racing clutch, a Ractive SRI, front upper strut bar, headers, iridium plugs with better wires, tinted windows, HKS catback and HKS lowering springs. The guy wants $3500 for it, but I only paid $1700 for mine and have since invested the money in it for the sound stuff, new tires and the tint.

I am trying to decide whether or not to keep my Civic and invest more money in it in upgrades or go ahead and buy the Accord. I should mention that my Civic has 239k on it, and the Accord only has 140k.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:23 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

It depends on what you're looking for in your car.

If you plan to swap the Civic, then I'd be more inclined to keep the Civic.

Do you want 17s and a body kit on the Civic? If you bought the Accord would you keep the body kit and 17s or would you replace them?

Besides basing it on mileage, what's the condition of the Civic? Besides mileage and paint, what's the condition of the Accord?

If there's nothing wrong with the Civic, I'd keep it. Then again, the Accord doesn't sound like the type of car I'd be interested in as a replacement anyway.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dilemma (Missouri_Civ)

you should do waht you want. what are your plans for the civic? if you get the accord wat do you plan on doing to it? IMO i would much rather choose the civic over the accord, plus 3500 seems a bit steep. But in the end its up to you, do wat you want with your money, you only live life once haha.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:34 PM

Default Re: (NOFX)

Well I like the wheels and body kit on the Accord, but the lowering springs would definitely have to go. I would either go back to stock springs or get some coilovers, because the thing only sits 3-1/2" off the ground, and for the places I drive to that's just way too low.

As far as the condition of the cars:

The Accord is a nice deep red color and looks pretty straight from the outside. The body kit does have a small tear in it on the rear edge of one of the side skirts. I'm assuming the guy was parallel parking and smacked it on the curb. The interior looks to be in pretty awesome shape. It has a full set of custom made leather seat covers for the front and back, racing pedals and custom carbon fiber shifter and e-brake handle. It rides nice and sounds good. I didn't notice any problems mechanically with it. The guy has done the distributor cap, clutch and brake cylinders, regular oil changes and all that good stuff.

My Civic is a nice maroon color, though the paint is not in as good of condition as that on the Accord. It has some of the usual dents and dings in it and some hail damage all over (nothing too major), and the front bumper is cracked at the bottom. It uses a teensy bit of oil between changes and has a problem with pulling to the left despite having it aligned a while back (I have yet to take it back in and get the struts and everything checked). It was a smoker's car, and so it has a few cigarette burn marks on the seat in places, and the driver's seat has a small tear in it. The rest of the interior is in pretty good shape. The car is otherwise mechanically sound and goes down the road excellently besides the aforementioned alignment problem.

As for engine swaps, I'm not too sure. I have thought about it, but I think if I did keep it a turbo would be the more likely scenario in the future.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dilemma (Missouri_Civ)

I would have to say that you are going to get a lot of biased opinions in this particular forum since it's for civics... I would keep the civic. Making decisions on what you are going to do to your car is half the fun! The other half is doing those things! I personally think that buying someone elses car that already has mods takes the fun out of it. It seems to me to be the same thing as seeing a car you want at a dealer and then buying it. That's not bad if you don't have much interest in doing things to your car but there is nothing like the satisfaction of taking a stock car and adding your own personal touches to complete your own vision.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Missouri_Civ)

Honestly, if you like it go for it. If it makes you happy, I have an older co-worker who is retiring tomorrow and he drives his 1990 Accord from Salem, OR to Portland, OR everyday which is roughly a 130 mile trip every day and he bought his brand new in 1992, It has 360,000 miles on it and he never changed the block, head, suspension, or exhaust/muffler. It is bone stock. Of course he did maintenance evry 40-60,000 miles through Honda and what not. Anyways, I think the Accord is an awesome and reliable car. Now, being a Civic owner myself, i'm not saying your civic or civics suck in general but considering the values of the car, i'd go with the Accord considering that it seems like you like its appearance anyways. Just go for it and if you end up not liking it, hell, trade it for something else later. I owned 7 different cars in the past 2 years just to end up with the cars I have now and I am happy and blessed. Just go for it man. Nothing to lose really.