Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Differental Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differental Bearing

Hello all, new to the forums. Been lurking around trying to find out how to replace a diff. bearing.
After doing a lot of reading and process of elimination on my car I've narrowed my problem down to axle/tranny/differential bearing. Currently I'm trying to find some sort of a write-up on how to do this, but I'm not having much luck. Anyone out there have a link or knowledge on how to do this? Suggestions? Is it really that hard, or pretty easy to do? Any information would greatly help me out. Thanks ahead of time....
Old 05-01-2007, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

just follow this:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=596873

That will take you all the way to the differential - it just pulls straight out, after you get the shafts/forks out.
From there, use a bearing separator and a bearing/gear puller to remove the bearing:
http://www.harborfreight.com/c...=3979

Then just replace the bearing - if youre good, you can use a large socket and a hammer...otherwise, a press to get it back on
Be sure you put it on facing the correct direction or it will not spin freely. Ask me how I know....

Id be interested in how you came to the conclusion your diff bearings are bad though. Are you sure its not the ISB or pilot bearin?
Old 05-01-2007, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Differental Bearing (bshaw)

Thanks a ton for the reply!!

My conclusion worked out like this. The other day I let my roommate take my car . He comes back and there's a hell of a grinding/rubbing noise coming from the front, deep sound and I can feel it in the floor a little.

Here's what I checked out..... Back of my tires for groves, rotors and calipers (car was not pulling anyway), axles at the transmission to make sure they were all the way in and I tried to jiggle them- no play. Had every tire off the ground, spun them, looked for play, and listen for noises.

While driving, the noise stays whether the clutch is in or out. It does not go away if I turn left or right either. So from the reading I've done, and the tests I done to the car I determined that it has to be a tranny/diff bearing unless I'm overlooking something.... I'm still going to double check the wheel bearings again too just to make sure.

Also, my throw out bearing is going bad too, and reverse is hard to get into. Thought I’d throw that out there too, probably has nothing to do with my problem though.

Thanks again, much appreciated!!
Old 05-09-2007, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Differental Bearing (bshaw)

Well found a tranny on here I'd like to contact Blinger about, but I'm restricted cause I'm in newbsauce status.... Can't IM him or reply in the For Sale fourm!

Can someone contact him if he does not see this for me? I'd really appericate it! Sorry my hands are tied!
Old 05-09-2007, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

youre not restricted
Old 05-09-2007, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

thank ya!
Old 05-13-2007, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bshaw)

Found the problem, and it wasn't the tranny or bearings.
It turned out to be the retaining nut that holds the axle shaft on. About a month ago I replaced my drivers side axle shaft cause the the cv joint was destroyed. Apparently I did not make enough of a indent into the nut where it's suppose to be beat into the axle slot (not sure what the correct term is). So anyway, it worked itself loose and was causing one hell of a racket. Problem solved, thank god .