Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Different fenders... (Need help)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Different fenders... (Need help)

Hello guys, I have a 97 coupe civic EX, and it seems like it had two different fenders on when I got it, but I could not tell till I dropped it, and changed the wheels and tires on it.

It seems to me that the fender on the passenger side is a bit narrower than the drivers side, it also seems to me as if the passenger side "comes in" on the front half and it seems to be just a bit shorter since it does not meet with the hud.

I know there are different ones since people like to do front end conversions, so, here is my question, what fender is the right one for my car? The one on my drivers side, or the one on the passengers side? I've tried to do my homework, but last time I though I had it right, I ended up having to buy two sets of wheels...
Attached Images   
Old 01-12-2014, 03:31 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Different fenders... (Need help)

The one on the passenger's side doesn't seem to line up properly.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:02 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep. It looks like it's for the correct model year, but it's just a cheap replacement.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For some reason it looks as if the entire fender in narrower, I even get some very mild rubbing on that fender, and the front half seems to show more of the tire.

I don't know if that fender comes from a hatch, or maybe a different year, I was not able to capture the full differences on the pics.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ROMEO_ek
For some reason it looks as if the entire fender in narrower, I even get some very mild rubbing on that fender, and the front half seems to show more of the tire.

I don't know if that fender comes from a hatch, or maybe a different year, I was not able to capture the full differences on the pics.
The hatch and coupe fenders are the same...But like already said, it is def not lined up properly for one. The gap with the hood gets very narrow towards the headlight. And if the car has been wrecked and that is an OEM style aftermarket made fender, they will not be 100% alike. I deal with this all the time in the body shop.

I would try to adjust the fender gap with the hood. You can loosen the bolts on the fender to bring that front edge out a little bit. Try to make it match the hood gap on the drivers side. That might help a bit.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you guys, I will try to adjust it and see how it goes, I wanted to get confirmation and make sure it was not from the wrong year/model/type before trying to play with it.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ROMEO_ek
Thank you guys, I will try to adjust it and see how it goes, I wanted to get confirmation and make sure it was not from the wrong year/model/type before trying to play with it.
Only ones I know are different are:
99-00 coupe and hatch are the same,
98-96 coupe and hatch are the same.

Sedan fenders are different for the same year ranges as well.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:50 PM

Uh...no, they aren't. All 96-98 fenders have the same part number, and thus are the same. 2, 3, or 4 doors, it doesn't matter. For 99-00, only the coupe has a different part number. Hatch and sedan fenders are absolutely identical. Get your facts straight.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARacist
Uh...no, they aren't. All 96-98 fenders have the same part number, and thus are the same. 2, 3, or 4 doors, it doesn't matter. For 99-00, only the coupe has a different part number. Hatch and sedan fenders are absolutely identical. Get your facts straight.
I appreciate you correcting my info.

However, you dont need to come across so rude about it.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:33 PM

I have a problem with people who claim something to be true, when they are wrong. It takes less than a minute in the parts catalog to double-check things like that, and someone searching in the future might just come across something incorrect. If no one calls someone on an incorrect statement, that future searcher will only have more problems.

The fact of the matter is that the PO of OP's car put a cheap replacement fender on, thus it doesn't line up. It's that simple.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARacist
I have a problem with people who claim something to be true, when they are wrong. It takes less than a minute in the parts catalog to double-check things like that, and someone searching in the future might just come across something incorrect. If no one calls someone on an incorrect statement, that future searcher will only have more problems.

The fact of the matter is that the PO of OP's car put a cheap replacement fender on, thus it doesn't line up. It's that simple.
I think you might be right about the cheap part, I will still try to line it up, but by looking at it, it just does not look as if the problem if just fitting it better, it really seems to be narrower.

I guess the next move would be to try to find a OEM part.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:41 AM

Yep. You should be able to find one at a junkyard fairly easily, if you know where to look (or have a friend who does).