Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Difference in engines?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference in engines?

I'm a noob to this site as well as to civic's. I have a 98 civic ex (fiance's car). I looked up the engine and it said it was 1.6L L4 PFI VTEC 16V engine. I have noticed that there are different types of honda engines. Where does mine fall in the order of taking well to mods? I'm basically looking for some good bolt on or slight custom mods for her car. Already put a WAI, OBX Headers, upper front & lower rear OBX strut bars. Next is to finish the exhaust but after that...????
Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 09-25-2003, 12:56 PM

Default Re: Difference in engines? (boricuacivic357)

N-O-S
in reality forced induction is the way to go IMO. i have 00 stock block ex with a jackson charger and some nitrous. a lot of people are going to tell you to turbo. in all honesty this is what i would do. turbo it, then down the road if you want to swap the motor, you can throw the turbo on the new motor with just a few mod's. (like a new turbo exhaust manifold being the biggest)
Old 09-25-2003, 01:17 PM

automatic will (should) waay limit your choices...
Old 09-25-2003, 01:45 PM

Default Re: Difference in engines? (mathusala)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mathusala &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">automatic will (should) waay limit your choices...</TD></TR></TABLE>
Your telling me. My finace doesn't know how to drive stick and doesn't want to learn. I told her we could make her car the audio car and make mine the fast one, but she didn't like that answer. I've explained the whole auto vs manual issue.
Old 09-25-2003, 08:48 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boricuacivic357 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I've explained the whole auto vs manual issue.</TD></TR></TABLE>

based on the avatar, I surrender, i don't know what you are waiting for...
Old 09-25-2003, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Difference in engines? (mathusala)

im sorry what was the question i was to busy lookin at that ***
Old 09-25-2003, 11:43 PM

Default Re: Difference in engines? (HXvtec)

dont go with nos!!!! do a manual conversion whether she likes it or not. she will thank you later... maybe
Old 09-26-2003, 06:16 AM

Default Re: Difference in engines? (jwn0183)

mathusala, HXvtec...sorry about the diversion. That's the rear view I see every night
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jwn0183 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dont go with nos!!!! do a manual conversion whether she likes it or not. she will thank you later... maybe </TD></TR></TABLE>
Why do you say no NOS? I have heard that for the money, it is the best mod to do. As for the manual conversion....well she won't let me do that cuz her car is under warranty and she is more concerned with voiding that than making her car fast. i have a friend in Ft. Walton Beach Fl who was going to sell me his race engine out of his civic dx for dirt cheap, but she didn't want to do the swap. I spoke with him the other day and he had already sold it since SHE didn't want the swap. Is there any other advice as what I should do? I know that my options are limited.
Old 09-26-2003, 06:25 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boricuacivic357 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Why do you say no NOS? I have heard that for the money, it is the best mod to do. As for the manual conversion....well she won't let me do that cuz her car is under warranty and she is more concerned with voiding that than making her car fast. </TD></TR></TABLE>
NOS IS THE BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK. but will void your warrenty.
Old 09-26-2003, 06:33 AM

Default Re: Difference in engines? (JICEK9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JICEK9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
NOS IS THE BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK. but will void your warrenty.</TD></TR></TABLE>
So I'm kinda stuck in a catch 22. She wants her car fast but doesn't want to void the warranty. Almost all bolt-ons will void the warranty. That is why I told her we need to make her car the sound audio car and make my car the fast car. My ride has way more to work with.
Old 09-26-2003, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My wife and I went through the same thing. She had a Sentra auto and wanted an S2000. We bought her an S2k, and I drove it for two months while she learned stick on my Civic. While driving the Civic she wanted all these mods because it was slow. Finally she gets ahold of the s2k and it's too slow for her. While thinking about supercharging she decides that speed isn't a big deal anymore, and she hates sitting in traffic with an s2k playing with the clutch non-stop, so we bought a Civic Hybrid CVT and she's as happy as ever. Still though, she almost cries when she sees a 350z.. " I used to be able to beat those ".

I say, if she doesn't want to learn stick don't worry about making it fast. Make your car the fast manual tranny car, and just let her drive it when she wants to race around.
Old 09-26-2003, 06:55 AM

Nitrous will eat your engine up quick, though, won't it? I mean, faster than any other type of engine boost you could do.

Personally I'd want something that can give my motor an extra punch, but will keep it running well for a long time. Even if it's only a 20 or 30 HP increase. I wouldn't sacrifice engine life for a few fast joyrides.

IMO.
Old 09-26-2003, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nitrous sucks because...

it doesn't even give you the power all the time.

it only makes you faster when you push a button, and pushing the button cost money.

it causes your engine to wear faster.

in the long run after paying for refills and damage to your engine it isn't the best bang for the buck.

I see nitrous as a shortcut and you can't take shortcuts when modding a car.
Old 09-26-2003, 07:26 AM

Well it appears that there is a lot of controversy surrounding Nitrous. I aggree that shortcuts wil only results in lots of extra dollars to fix the shortcuts.
Old 09-26-2003, 07:40 AM

Default Re: (boricuacivic357)

Try some skunk2 cams. They y8 is a good engine to mod. Get some camgears and get some tuning.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:24 AM

Default Re: (m0dr0cker)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by m0dr0cker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nitrous will eat your engine up quick, though, won't it? I mean, faster than any other type of engine boost you could do.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
WRONG!
people that think nitrous is going to "EAT" your engine quicker are uneducated on how nitrous works. i bet "modrocker" has never used nitrous.

so to make this short, what makes you go faster? more air and more fuel.

how nitrous works- air has a lower level of oxygen then nitrous. nitrous is a cool compressed gas. by shooting this into your engine AND ADDING THE RIGHT AMOUNT OF FUEL TO COMPENSATE, you are forcing the engine to work harder thus go faster. now as far "eating" the motor up quicker, any forced induction will shorten engine life. a civic with a turbo is not going to go 300,000 miles, unlike a normal daily driven civic by your grandma. and as far as your warranty goes, take all the juice out before you bring it to the dealership. if that doesn't work, the only thing i have to say is "you have to pay to play!"

on another note, i put the bottle in my car about a month after i drove it off the show floor and now the car has 45,000 miles on it with the NOS a Jackson Racing charger and going strong as hell!

Modified by JICEK9 at 5:57 PM 9/26/2003
Old 09-26-2003, 08:28 AM

Default Re: (JICEK9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JICEK9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
unedjucated </TD></TR></TABLE>
Huh?
Old 09-26-2003, 08:36 AM

You're right. I haven't used nitrous, nor do I ever plan on using it because I know what nitrous does to work.

Pumping more fuel into the mixture as well as putting in a higher concentrated level of oxygen will create hotter combustion inside your engine. Which is why nobody ever runs on nitrous all the time.

Nitrous is application specific, but if you pump it through your engine enough, you WILL have to repair the damage it causes.

Yeah, you pay to "play", alright. I'm just not into dumping thousands into a motor just so I can smoke a Neon on the quarter mile track on the weekends.

Old 09-26-2003, 09:00 AM

N2O is like anything else, if you use it like an idiot you will blow things up. Same with boost. Dont be stupid, ie spraying a dry 150 into a stock civic. Using what your car can handle wont cause instant terminal damage, so dont be afraid of it.
Old 09-26-2003, 09:00 AM

unedjucated
I'm an idiot-that's why I'm in the garage and not the office i guess lol
Old 09-26-2003, 10:09 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by m0dr0cker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, you pay to "play", alright. I'm just not into dumping thousands into a motor just so I can smoke a Neon on the quarter mile track on the weekends.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
famous quote from Jay-Z "I WILL NOT LOOSE"
some people like to loose, I like to WIN

like I said before, YOU HAVE TO PAY TO PLAY! and we're off the subject, nitrous (when used properly) is not going to blow your motor.
Old 09-26-2003, 10:47 AM

..... and we're off the subject, nitrous (when used properly) is not going to blow your motor. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well in all actuality you are off the subject as well.... I do appreciate everyones input, but my original question was:
....I looked up the engine and it said it was 1.6L L4 PFI VTEC 16V engine. I have noticed that there are different types of honda engines. Where does mine fall in the order of taking well to mods?.... Yes I did also ask about what types of mods I can do also, but I didn't mean for this to turn into a debate about whether or not Nitrous is good or not.
Old 09-26-2003, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It all depends on what you want out of your car. Do you want something that is just slightly faster or do you want an all out race car? Bolt ons for light mods and if you want more power go forced induction. Like they said before, you have to pay to play.
Old 09-26-2003, 11:21 AM

Default Re: (teknoracing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by teknoracing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It all depends on what you want out of your car. Do you want something that is just slightly faster or do you want an all out race car? Bolt ons for light mods and if you want more power go forced induction. Like they said before, you have to pay to play.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Looking for bolt ons that will add a little pep in her step. Suggestions???
I still would like to know the differences in the engines? Where do I find more info on the different types of engines and how do I confirm what type of engine I have?
Old 09-26-2003, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If I'm not mistaken, the EX has a D16Y8... there was a really good thread on d series motors a while back. It should be a good engine to mod, but without FI you won't really be "fast", unless you wanna wind it out to 13000 rpm.

Quick Reply: Difference in engines?