Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

The difference between Short ram and Cold air

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 11:24 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The difference between Short ram and Cold air

What is the difference between short ram and cold air intake?
Which is better?
Which do you perfer?
What brand do you perfer?

Im running this on a d16z6 bone stock.

i was thinking of Red Aem cold air intake with K&N filter.

This is probably a dumb question but im a noob still trying to figure out how to work this. Any advice would be awesome.

Thanks
delsoldude30
-Frank-
Old 07-07-2009, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: The difference between Short ram and Cold air

short ram is going to stay in the engine bay, where as cold air is going to drop down into the fender well/behind the bumper area. dont waste your money on something fancy from aem, its not necessary. it's just a pipe and a filter. there are times to purchase name brand things, but this isn't one of them.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

+1 Stock airbox and K&N drop in. Looks better too.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:04 PM

I agree with the previous posts, to add to that it is dangerous to get a cold air intake, because of its location, during a decent rain it is very easy for water to splash into the intake and hydrolock your engine.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:08 PM
I'm not Rick!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

suck hot air or suck water
pick one
Old 07-07-2009, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 615 Likes on 487 Posts

Originally Posted by D16SiHatch
short ram is going to stay in the engine bay, where as cold air is going to drop down into the fender well/behind the bumper area. dont waste your money on something fancy from aem, its not necessary. it's just a pipe and a filter. there are times to purchase name brand things, but this isn't one of them.
x2... put a drop in filter in the stock box, remove the silencer crap behind the fender, and call it a day.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:43 PM

I have one I did custom I didnt want it low to the ground to suck water when hitting puddles and I didnt want it close to the block. My car dosnt have ac anymore so I make a tube that runs were the old ac fan and stuff was so it sucks air from the front bumper vents.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by spAdam
x2... put a drop in filter in the stock box, remove the silencer crap behind the fender, and call it a day.
Do you have a pic of this installed? I want to do that
Old 07-07-2009, 01:09 PM
I'm not Rick!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

dont forget to take off the bumper when you take out the bottom part of the air box. i destroyed the bummper tabs yanking it out
Old 07-07-2009, 01:16 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Delsoldude30
What is the difference between short ram and cold air intake?
Which is better?
Which do you perfer?
What brand do you perfer?

Im running this on a d16z6 bone stock.

i was thinking of Red Aem cold air intake with K&N filter.

This is probably a dumb question but im a noob still trying to figure out how to work this. Any advice would be awesome.

Thanks
delsoldude30
-Frank-
I prefer the stock air box.

The CAI runs the risk of you sucking water up, but you'd have to submerge the tube. Hydrolock isn't inevitable just because you have a CAI and it rains where you live.

The SRI loses low end power. It was enough to be bothersome and noticeable on my D16Y8.

I went with AEM on both because though some say it's just a tube, those brackets keep it from knocking around in your engine bay, damaging other parts or the paint finish in the bay.

In the end though, they're both worthless unless you really need that extra room on the passenger side. I felt it made the engine bay look empty anyway.

I only put the SRI on my car after the CAI was stolen. I wanted to replace it before with a stock airbox, but had trouble finding one even after the CAI was stolen.
Originally Posted by aznsyco
Do you have a pic of this installed? I want to do that
You don't need a photo.

A stock airbox and drop in filter are what you currently have.

A drop in filter by K&N is a reusable air filter that you can clean. When the car is assembled it looks exactly the same as it does now (if you have a stock airbox).

Go to Autozone or anothe auto parts store and ask them to look up your vehicle's air filter. They should sell K&N air filters too. If you were to look at it, it's square and shaped to fit into your car as is.

As far as the resonator in the bumper, my understanding is not all cars have that. But yes, remove the entire bumper before you remove the resonator. When you remove the bumper you will be able to see the plastic resonator connecting to the air box. It's usually black or sort of clear.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both on my car... a short ram that gets cold air. Comptech Icebox system FTW.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 615 Likes on 487 Posts

Almost forgottoo lol... A stock airbox doesn't make your car sound like a freakin hoover when you get on it

I run an icebox and stock itr intake tube on my racecar... it made a noticeable difference when I switched from an aem cold air.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:31 PM
H-T White Ops

Almost forgottoo lol... A stock airbox doesn't make your car sound like a freakin hoover when you get on it

I run an icebox and stock itr intake tube on my racecar... it made a noticeable difference when I switched from an aem cold air.
Actually, my current stock airbox without a resonator in the bumper sounds the same as the AEM CAI I used to have.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a del sol si with a D16Z6 in it.... had a SHORT ram air intake.....Bought a Cheap Ebay COLD air intake... for like $75 It gave it a deeper sound and I "felt" more top end.. I was happy with it.. as for the hydro-lock... you can pay an extra bit of money for a Bypass Valve witch will stop water from getting to your motor... problem solved.. and you get more gains with a cold air... I personally opted not to get the bypass valve because it take a big GULP up water suck enough up to hydro lock.. so I just avoided hudge puddles and I was good even through down pours...... If you want the stock look do a drop in K&N air box filter.... If you want I diferent look do a Cold air. worth it
Old 07-07-2009, 02:19 PM
New User

So drop in K&N air filter and take out the box behind fender/bumper?

Will that sound mean?
Old 07-07-2009, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Think about this last I check.. could be wrong a K&N drop in filter is like 50 bone ebay cold 75....
Old 07-07-2009, 02:43 PM
H-T White Ops

Originally Posted by Delsoldude30
So drop in K&N air filter and take out the box behind fender/bumper?

Will that sound mean?
Actual engine work will make your car sound mean.

A CAI *or* removal of the intake resonator in the bumper (if equipped) will make the car sound deeper when you get on the throttle.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:49 PM
H-T White Ops

Originally Posted by KC95egLS/Vtec
Think about this last I check.. could be wrong a K&N drop in filter is like 50 bone ebay cold 75....
A K&N filter shouldn't require any wait to get your product plus it's reusable.

I think intakes look stupid. They leave a giant hole in your bay. A CAI filter is also (1) not easy to change and (2) not usually visible, so it might be easy to forget to even look to see if it's dirty.

A stock airbox filter is easy to change. A couple clips and the cover is off. Then you just lift the filter out.

Aftermarket cone style filters are a pain to change. I know because I have customers come in all day long for this. You need to know the measurements of the filter you want. Few people seem to understand we can't just look it up on the computer. More than likely we will also not have it in stock (the Spectra filters don't usually work or get returned for some other reason). So you will have to wait 1-7 days for a filter.

Stock size filters are almost always in stock. If they're not, the store can often store transfer the item from another store to theirs by that day or the next afternoon. Or you can drive to the nearest store with one (your store can call around for you to be sure).

Not to mention the stock air box won't wobble around in the engine bay like I mentioned before.

Also, if the OP decides later that he would prefer to have the stock intake again, all he'll need to do is replace that resonator (which is not too large to store in the garage). It took me forever to find a replacement and I still don't have a resonator because many people leave them on the car when they put a SRI on.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I use a cheap aluminum ebay short ram tube and a cheap filter. Although i would recommend using the same cheap tube but using a better filter. Do as i say, not as i do :p
Old 07-07-2009, 03:49 PM
Vietnamese!

Originally Posted by D16SiHatch
This indeed.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NOFX
A K&N filter shouldn't require any wait to get your product plus it's reusable.

I think intakes look stupid. They leave a giant hole in your bay. A CAI filter is also (1) not easy to change and (2) not usually visible, so it might be easy to forget to even look to see if it's dirty.

A stock airbox filter is easy to change. A couple clips and the cover is off. Then you just lift the filter out.

Aftermarket cone style filters are a pain to change. I know because I have customers come in all day long for this. You need to know the measurements of the filter you want. Few people seem to understand we can't just look it up on the computer. More than likely we will also not have it in stock (the Spectra filters don't usually work or get returned for some other reason). So you will have to wait 1-7 days for a filter.

Stock size filters are almost always in stock. If they're not, the store can often store transfer the item from another store to theirs by that day or the next afternoon. Or you can drive to the nearest store with one (your store can call around for you to be sure).

Not to mention the stock air box won't wobble around in the engine bay like I mentioned before.

Also, if the OP decides later that he would prefer to have the stock intake again, all he'll need to do is replace that resonator (which is not too large to store in the garage). It took me forever to find a replacement and I still don't have a resonator because many people leave them on the car when they put a SRI on.
You make good points.. but if installed properly CAI's and Short rams won't wobble around.. But I don't want to argue its just a matter of what the kid likes. I personally hate how a stock air box looks. Prolly because I love a Clean wire tucked bay and getting rid of all that plastic is a small start...
Old 07-07-2009, 05:20 PM
New User

you could make a small box even if its in your fender to not suck water.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by emrock32
you could make a small box even if its in your fender to not suck water.
like your thinking
Old 07-07-2009, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by alphalanos
+1 Stock airbox and K&N drop in. Looks better too.
yep...

remove the silencer crap behind the fender, and call it a day
i also put a regular 2.5in intake tube on that setup mentioned...
Old 07-07-2009, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

personally i think a cai burns more gas with very little notcible gain over a short ram

Quick Reply: The difference between Short ram and Cold air