Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

The Difference Between APC Shit and Good Suspension - PICS Inside!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2003, 06:30 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default The Difference Between APC **** and Good Suspension - PICS Inside!

I'm posting this on behalf of the user black2kcivic (Daniel) since he's still at work and I took the pics and I have all of the software to upload my pics onto my PC.

Daniel got rid of his shitty APC coil-over sleeve/stock Honda strut combo for a much better Koni Yellow/Eibach ERS spring combo.
He and I did the install with the help of his cousin in my garage at home. Unfortunately we were VERY pressed for time because he had to be at work so I could not a thorough write-up on how to install suspension components like these, but that day will come so don't worry.

Enjoy these pics - they were more for entertainment value, but there's definately some lessons to be learned from a few of the pics.

Front dampeners and 450 ERS springs:

Rear Yellows with 500 ERS springs:

Thumbs down to the shitty-*** APC coil-over sleeves. Look how screwed up the spring is on the perch! They sag worse than a 70 year old womans *****.

Thumbs up for the Koni Yellows:

Look at the difference in the shitty quality APC springs after less than one year of use and how they used to look like the ERS springs - the ERS springs will not sag and/or bend:

Front dampeners and springs assembled and ready to go in the car:

Koni means quality:

So does Eibach:

Front sus in the car (you can see the upper A-arms for adjusting camber too):

Rear dampener/spring combo ready for the car:

In the car - notice the Sus Techniques 19mm rear swaybar?

Other side:

Both sides - yes the car was dirty

Koni Improved y0!

Again!

And finally the car on the ground:

The car rides shitloads better, but is in dire need of an alignment. The camber will need to be tweaked and the toe is deffinately way off, but that's what happens when you go from slamed to sport.

I'm sure black2kcivic/Daniel will be in later for comments.

...And where do you think he'll get the car aligned?

Old 01-12-2003, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: The Difference Between APC **** and Good Suspension - PICS Inside! (B18C5-EH2)

sweet pics...and a nice ride to boot.
Old 01-12-2003, 06:37 PM
Former Moderator

Default Re: The Difference Between APC **** and Good Suspension - PICS Inside! (2000CX)

Thanks.

Yeah before anyone rips on the weld-on muffler, know that the engine is still stock and he's working on sus (obviously ) first and then saving for a B18C5 swap which will get the full bolt-on attention.

He'll post once he sees this I'm sure.
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: The Difference Between APC **** and Good Suspension - PICS Inside! (B18C5-EH2)

Ahhhh, much better

much improved
Old 01-12-2003, 06:39 PM
Vice President/CEO

Default Re: The Difference Between APC **** and Good Suspension - PICS Inside! (2000CX)

apc
Old 01-12-2003, 06:48 PM

Yeah before anyone rips on the weld-on muffler
Hahaha I was just trying to come up with a nice way to question the hack-job on that muffler

New suspension looks great!

delsolguy, who 's his Konis
Old 01-12-2003, 06:48 PM

Nice new set up

Quick Question -
If i got the Koni yellows like your friend got (Coilovers correct?) Would I be able to get springs with a different height to make the car lower while being on the Koni Yellows and the Eibach springs??
My springs are shot rite now (Bought with car) and was thinking of buying just another set of springs but it would probally be worht it going with the full coil-over..

How much did this set up cost him??
Nice car

Edit: I was not thinking when I asked that question...After looking at a few different sites i remember that coil-overs are adjustable so I guess they the springs came as a set and you could adjust the ride height anytime?
I am not very suspension familiar so please excuse the Newbie question lol...I guess thats why Im on Honda-Tech - to learn!!!
Thank you

[Modified by Hatch_92, 7:54 PM 1/12/2003]

[Modified by Hatch_92, 7:55 PM 1/12/2003]
Old 01-12-2003, 06:52 PM

Default Re: The Difference Between APC **** and Good Suspension - PICS Inside! (Hatch_92)

those are coil overs and are height adjustable so if you are wanting koni then these are the ones to get
Old 01-12-2003, 06:54 PM

Default Re: The Difference Between APC **** and Good Suspension - PICS Inside! (EG-cellent)

Hate to be the noob but what does ERS (Eibach) stand for? What kind of drop do they give you? TIA.
Old 01-12-2003, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how would koni yellow shocks be with groundcontrol coilovers? GC have eibach springs.
Old 01-12-2003, 06:56 PM

Default Re: The Difference Between APC **** and Good Suspension - PICS Inside! (EX R8ED)

damn thats very nice.. how much did it cost for all of those? would u be interested in selling those tight *** apc coilovers???
j/p j/p j/p seriously i already have them on my car!!!
Old 01-12-2003, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn that looks sweet, booo to APC

did you re-use the sleeves the apc coilovers?

or did you completly get new sleeves?

and what length of spring are you using?
Old 01-12-2003, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The Difference Between APC **** and Good Suspension - PICS Inside! (EL-Driver)

Did you guys reuse the APC silver coilover perch? You know the silver locking and unlocking perch or was that a new one that came with the Koni's? ANyone have an idea of how much this setup runs.

I just remember that back in the day it was around $1000 for a koni coilover sus. with Eibach springs. Looks good though
Old 01-12-2003, 08:15 PM

Default Re: The Difference Between APC **** and Good Suspension - PICS Inside! (SOUNDEFFECTS)

get some rear discs yo
Old 01-12-2003, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The Difference Between APC **** and Good Suspension - PICS Inside! (SOUNDEFFECTS)

ok to warn you guys. one thing you have to make sure is on the front spring and coilover set up. from experience. when you hit a hard bump. the sleeve tends to slide down a little bit. b/c soo much pressure on the sleeve and the cup part on the Koni's the sleeves tend to crack and slide down on the cup! if flares out and over time it will start cracking. i had a koni and skunk set up and the sleeves cracked! but to stop this you take one of those things that tighten the intake (what ever those things are called!_ and you put it on the bottem of the sleeves and tighten it up. it helps it from cracking and adds additional strenght! take a look at the ninth pic im talkin bout the bottem sleeve part. people who have these sleeves kit long enough know wut im talkin about. i wish i stil had the sleeve coilover i would take some pics!

[Modified by swtprelude, 5:21 AM 1/13/2003]
Old 01-12-2003, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The Difference Between APC **** and Good Suspension - PICS Inside! (swtprelude)

Yo man your rims are sick! Did you get them professionally powder coated or did you do it yourself? If you did it yourself, how did you do it?
Old 01-12-2003, 08:33 PM
jus f0 dekarayshunZ

Default Re: The Difference Between APC **** and Good Suspension - PICS Inside! (Sassafrass)

nice job...dump that ****
Old 01-12-2003, 08:46 PM
New User

Did you guys reuse the APC silver coilover perch? You know the silver locking and unlocking perch or was that a new one that came with the Koni's?
i would also want to know the answer to this. thanks.
Old 01-12-2003, 08:50 PM

Default Re: The Difference Between APC **** and Good Suspension - PICS Inside! (gude boi)

yeah, looks like you guys re-used the APC collars lol. hope that lasts, or else you'll probably do another write-up lol.
Old 01-12-2003, 08:51 PM

Default Re: The Difference Between APC **** and Good Suspension - PICS Inside! (gude boi)

I had Koni Reds and Eibach Sportlines on the Cavalier I had at it handled incredibly well. You have what I will most likely be getting for my VX hatch. Nice
I give it:
Old 01-13-2003, 03:21 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: The Difference Between APC **** and Good Suspension - PICS Inside! (TokyoZero)

Okay I'll try to answer as many Q's as I can remember.

The Eibach ERS springs are a custom-made spring. You can order them at most any length, diameter, and spring rate. The close up pic of his spring shows the 3 numbers that all cover the specs for the spring:

The 0800 means 8'' long

The 250 means 2.5'' in diameter

The 0450 means it's a spring rate of 450

Theses springs in particular were made to fit on most any generic coil-over sleeve. The APC springs used to be 2.5'' in diameter and probably 7'' long, but as you can see by the pics they collapsed.

If you want to do the same thing like switch out your old coil-over sleeve springs and add goo dampeners, then order the ERS springs in 8'' long and 2.5'' in diameter. Choose your own rates according on how you want the car to ride and handle. If you like to ride lower then I suggest 7'' long springs or else you might not like the lowest setting.

Also for those of you who have seen Ground Control Coil-Over set-ups, they use these very Eibach ERS springs at their own choice rates.

We reused the APC perches and collars for cost effectiveness, and after thinking about it we'll probably pull the fronts back out and flip the Koni cups back up so they'll support the APC collars. I flipped the Koni collars upside down so we could get more adjustment out of the front (as in lower if needed) but I think the end height left the perches above where the Koni cup would sit if they were right side up.

Yes this set-up is still height adjustable. They'll give you whatever drop you want depending on where you set the perches.

One thing I need to point out:

If you ride totally slammed then the ERS springs might not be for you. They do not sag at all when you get above rates of 400, so even if you dump the perches all the way down the ERS might not ride as low as you wanted. These springs and Koni Yellows aren't made for riding dumped. They are made for the sport enthusiast who wants the car not only to ride lower, but also handle and ride killer too. I'd save the dumping for stock struts because most any aftermarket strut will blow out rather quickly if they are riding near bumpstops (if you have them)

I don't know what ERS stands for really - it's just like another name though, like sportline, Pro Kit, etc.

The ERS springs usually run about $200.00 or so. I'll get the number to where you can order them from.

Koni Yellows have a pretty broad price range. You can get them for as little as $450.00 a set if you have a hook up, or you can pay as much as $600.00.

black2kcivic's set-up costed him much less than even the cheapest full coil-over set-ups (that are worth a ****) including Koni's very own. I won't say what he paid because it was a wholesale price.

Also I do NOT recommend the Koni full coil-overs. I had them once and they are way soft. Car might ride really smooth, but it won't handle nearly as well nor stay as planted as with the Eibach ERS springs.

Someone asked how Konis and Ground Controls would be. They'd be very nice, but just ask them what rates the springs are. Basically if you get that set-up you'll have what you see in this thread but with better sleeves and collars.

As far as his wheels go, they are the 99-01 GS-R wheels home spray painted with Duplicolor Gummetal Wheel paint. No clear was used I think.

That's about it?

Old 01-13-2003, 04:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You know the saying: "Can't spell CRAP without [/b]apc[/b]"

Old 01-13-2003, 05:03 AM

Default Re: The Difference Between APC **** and Good Suspension - PICS Inside! (Hybrid93Hatch)

Thanks for posting up the pics and helping me with the install. The ride is so much better its like driving a different car. I still havent gone into any turns fast as my toe is severly messed up and I am in bad need of alignment (which is getting done today). Thanks for the complements about the car, the perches are not that old and look to be in good condition so we reused them.

As for riding dumped... I don't think I will ever dump my car again, I really liked the way it looked but it handled like **** and I really don't like worrying about scraping everywhere.

I am looking at getting a read disc conversion but that it going to have to wait until after I get my swap, a b18c5 is the next thing that I am going to do to my car.

I'll post some more later today after I get the car aligned and drive it some.

Thanks again Tom for the help, I am so happy that my car dosent bounce everywhere like a damn mini-truck.

[Modified by black2kcivic, 6:05 AM 1/13/2003]
Old 01-13-2003, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The Difference Between APC **** and Good Suspension - PICS Inside! (black2kcivic)

hey Tom how do you think some Koni Yellows would hold up on a little bit over 3" drop?

PS: i am the midnight blue 4th gen accord from 'your shop' (im not sure if you want me broadcasting the name of it around the internet) a couple months ago from fayetteville (if you remember)

Quick Reply: The Difference Between APC Shit and Good Suspension - PICS Inside!