Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference between 6 puck 4 puck 3 puck

can someone explain exactly what each do and the difference between each clutch
Old 06-15-2005, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Difference between 6 puck 4 puck 3 puck (hondaracing1)

i'd like to know as well. isn't 3 puck the best?
Old 06-15-2005, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Difference between 6 puck 4 puck 3 puck (handa)

ttt
Old 06-15-2005, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

more pucks you have is the softer it will grab/engage. less pucks is the more aggressive the engagement becomes.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Difference between 6 puck 4 puck 3 puck (Boostage)

so if its a clutchmasters 4 puck sprung clutch. would that be a good clutch to have in a si tranny
Old 06-15-2005, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

6 puck might feel better on a street car.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Difference between 6 puck 4 puck 3 puck (Boostage)

Unless you are putting down some serious *** numbers, a pucked clutch is overkill and just plain hard on a drivetrain.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Difference between 6 puck 4 puck 3 puck (Ricey McRicerton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostage &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">more pucks you have is the softer it will grab/engage. less pucks is the more aggressive the engagement becomes.</TD></TR></TABLE>
No clutch is the way to go.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:11 PM

Default Re: Difference between 6 puck 4 puck 3 puck (kaiba)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Unless you are putting down some serious *** numbers, a pucked clutch is overkill and just plain hard on a drivetrain. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude this is so true. Trust me, I have a six puck UNSPRUNG and its the worst thing invented if you're going to use it for daily driving. Seriously the clutch chatter literally shakes the entire car, not only that it shocks the **** out of the drivetrain everytime its engaged. Honestly if you aren't putting down some damn good numbers, i dont see the use for a pucked clutch. I am definitely changing this **** out for a full face kevlar.

Old 06-16-2005, 05:35 AM

Default Re: Difference between 6 puck 4 puck 3 puck (HollywoodEH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HollywoodEH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dude this is so true. Trust me, I have a six puck UNSPRUNG and its the worst thing invented if you're going to use it for daily driving. Seriously the clutch chatter literally shakes the entire car, not only that it shocks the **** out of the drivetrain everytime its engaged. Honestly if you aren't putting down some damn good numbers, i dont see the use for a pucked clutch. I am definitely changing this **** out for a full face kevlar.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

6 puck (sprung) is not to bad for a street car.
I have that in mine, but haven't really logged many miles yet (car isn't completely done yet) we just putts around the neighborhood testing things.

any number of pucks & unsprung is gonna be rough....

Old 07-18-2005, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just got my clutchmasters 4 puck and i chatters like a bitch. and when I take off in first gear it squels a little bit. Does anybody else have this problem? or know if this is normal? I was mase'd at 252 whp on 5.5psi
Old 07-18-2005, 08:24 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Difference between 6 puck 4 puck 3 puck (Jayboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jayboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dude this is so true. Trust me, I have a six puck UNSPRUNG and its the worst thing invented if you're going to use it for daily driving. Seriously the clutch chatter literally shakes the entire car, not only that it shocks the **** out of the drivetrain everytime its engaged. Honestly if you aren't putting down some damn good numbers, i dont see the use for a pucked clutch. I am definitely changing this **** out for a full face kevlar.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can say that again. I drove my friends Si with a 6 puck clutch and hated it. First of all I stalled like 100 times trying to get it engaged smoothly, then I realized thats not possible. Downshifting feels like you hit a deer unless you rev match.

If you have to ask this question, IMO you probably don't have enough power to need one....
Old 07-18-2005, 09:11 AM

Default Re: Difference between 6 puck 4 puck 3 puck (GetawayInMoscow)

you guys also have to take into consideration sprung vs. unsprung

sprung is a lot friendlier then unsprung.

Old 07-18-2005, 10:20 AM

Default Re: Difference between 6 puck 4 puck 3 puck (GetawayInMoscow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GetawayInMoscow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You can say that again. I drove my friends Si with a 6 puck clutch and hated it. First of all I stalled like 100 times trying to get it engaged smoothly, then I realized thats not possible. Downshifting feels like you hit a deer unless you rev match.

If you have to ask this question, IMO you probably don't have enough power to need one....</TD></TR></TABLE>

I dd a sprung 6 puck and i can shift smoother in that than i can in any BMW or a 350z. I've been driving a 350z for the past 5 weeks during my build, and just drove my car for the first time this morning. Downshifting and upshifting are undoubably smoother than in the 350(a car i have logged ~10k miles on, i'm not 'new' to its clutch or anything). It's not the 6-puck keeping your car from driving smoothly If your not revmatching when you downshift, you shouldn't have a modified drivetrain.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:42 AM

Default Re: Difference between 6 puck 4 puck 3 puck (Si Shane)

This is too funny. I had the Toda 3 puck clutch and lightweight flywheel installed in my car. I've only stalled her once. When I first got it installed, I ask the guy how it would ride. He simply said he and his crew took bets on how many times I would stall the car while trying to leave. They placed it so the car was uphill. On top of that, it was raining (no I'm not lying). I DIDN'T STALL IT!! She was chattering away though. It was a VERY rough ride home. Close to eight months later, I'm still getting a little chatter off a stop light (traffic is a BITCH), and she squeels if the clutch heats up too much. Ok, there's my story.. Some of you can relate..
Old 07-18-2005, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (cock_diesel)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cock_diesel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just got my clutchmasters 4 puck and i chatters like a bitch. and when I take off in first gear it squels a little bit. Does anybody else have this problem? or know if this is normal? I was mase'd at 252 whp on 5.5psi</TD></TR></TABLE>

hell yeah i have a cluchtnet 6 puck sprung in my civic with a b18c(R) and every once a while that thing squels a little bit with taking off from first or second. down shifting sucks unless i rev match i hate other people driving my car because they rev the **** out of it to get moving or the stall like 10 times. but whats that squel from???? i want to know i thought i put it on wrong but i looked at it and it was fine...
Old 07-19-2005, 03:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so what brand name and model would be a suitable clutch for a street car that i like to take to the drags every once n awhile?

I need schooling on clutches..
My car is a B16A roughly 116kw untuned i/h/e
Old 07-19-2005, 04:15 AM

Default Re: (TP9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TP9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so what brand name and model would be a suitable clutch for a street car that i like to take to the drags every once n awhile?

I need schooling on clutches..
My car is a B16A roughly 116kw untuned i/h/e</TD></TR></TABLE>

i'm not the zen of clutches, but with that motor & just bolt ons i'd get a beefed up fullface or a 6 puck sprung (if your planning on more mods in the future).

I wouldn't go with anything stronger then that.

& make sure you combine it with a nice flywheel
Old 07-19-2005, 08:08 AM

Default Re: (gato5254)

The squeel is from the metal in the clutch you have. Metal to metal contact causes that squeel. It's something that will never go away, unless you replace the clutch.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Squeal is normal on all puck style clutches.
My bros 6 puck unsprung on gsr squeals from new.
So does my 4 puck unsprung on my sohc.
BTW id never buy another clutch other than a puck.
It is not impossible to drive.
B series are rougher than sohc's though because of the larger contact patch.
BTW with an unsprung, theres no chance of a broken spring which has happened to me a few times.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dr. D-Series)

How are the top end discs with 300+ ft-lb pressure plates?
Old 07-19-2005, 11:13 AM

dang
Old 07-26-2005, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, im glad to hear im notthe only person with the squeling problem. I thinks its just because these heavy duty pucked clutches arent supposeto be slipped.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

butI do have to say that my 4 puck does scream drop me at 7grand
Old 07-27-2005, 01:58 AM

Default Re: (cock_diesel)

I Have an ACT 6 Puck Unsprung and at first i HATED it (because of the squealing noise & how hard it was to drive daily) Now when i drive other peoples cars without a Pucked Clutch i feel like they are worn or broken lol. All my friends thought i was nutz and now i laugh because more and more are goin 6 Puck unsprung...lol!! My explanation of how it feels to people is "My clutch is like an ON/OFF Switch yours is like a Dimmer" BTW I daily drive this car about 40 miles daily at least half of that in chicago expressway traffic.

CLIFF NOTES: I used to hate my 6 puck unprung and now i love it and wont go back!!

Quick Reply: Difference between 6 puck 4 puck 3 puck