Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

did my rear disc brake swap on my 94 ex but have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default did my rear disc brake swap on my 94 ex but have a few questions

ok, i'm glad to say i'm basically finished with the install. i got the e-brake cables from a DC and the brake line on the brake from a DA. everything looks good, but the pass rear disc brake is locked. i dunno if it's cause of the way we bled it. is it supposed to spin freely? the wheel does spin, but makes a weird noise. looks like the brake pad is applying constant pressure to the rotor. I've never done a brake job before so i don't kno if it's supposed to be that way. We only bled the rear brakes and i'm sure that's a problem cause my brake pedal has tons of travel. well, thx for the help in advance guys. main question... are the pads supposed to constantly apply pressure to the rotor???? and no, i haven't changed my prop valve yet.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:12 AM

Default Re: did my rear disc brake swap on my 94 ex but have a few questions (perseverance)

the pads are not supposed to apply constant pressure, it sounds like u have a frozen caliper. good luck
Old 08-13-2007, 05:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: did my rear disc brake swap on my 94 ex but have a few questions (perseverance)

Under normal conditions, the Pads are to maintain VERY SLIGHT contact with the Rotor, and the Wheel should spin somewhat freely without pressure from the Pedal nor the Parking Brake.

The Caliper Piston for the Rear has an embedded cross that you can use to retract it further into the bore. Try a 1/4 CW turn to make more room, and be sure that the bump on the Pad (the one closest to the car's centerline) aligns properly with the groove. Also make sure that the Parking Brake cable isn't "naturally" pulling on the Caliper's Cam Lever...

Some assemblies can be in such shitty condition, the Piston will fuse to the inner walls of the Caliper Bore. I hope this isn't the case for you...

Let us know how things go!
JasonGhostz
Old 08-13-2007, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well the brake is applying pressure, but slightly... not much. could be the ebrake, i'll disconnect it and see if that fixes it. i can spin the wheel, it's not stuck. they were on my friends car but have been lying around for 2 weeks since then. i'll check it out more in an hr or two