Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Did a bit of spirited driving, then checked my oil level..

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 11:10 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did a bit of spirited driving, then checked my oil level..

Car: 99 Civic Si, I/H/E CTR intake cam

Redline it through the gears 2 or 3 times and hit around 120mph (on a closed race track obviously)

Then I checked my oil level after letting the car sit for 20 or so minutes.. The oil level was very low on the dipstick. Almost not even showing on it.

Got scared and added a quart and went home.

I got home and let it sit for a bit then checked the oil and now it's up around the 2nd dot.

Do you think I was low on oil, or maybe it was still in the motor? If I was really low (enough to do damage) and added a quart would that have brought the level up to the second dot on the stick?

I'm going to run a compression test tomorrow.. Will this show me if I damaged my rings or anything else in the motor?
Old 02-02-2008, 11:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Did a bit of spirited driving, then checked my oil level.. (Razr2)

lmao 20 mins or so isnt even long enough!!!
Old 02-03-2008, 02:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Leave the car on leveled ground overnight to really get good results
Old 02-03-2008, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I suggest that you wait about 15 mins or so to check the oil level. Let the oil settle first once you turn off the car.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes it was low, no it didn't do any damage
Old 02-03-2008, 09:11 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Did a bit of spirited driving, then checked my oil level.. (95dxsir2)

Well that's the wierd thing.. If it was really low, I only added a quart of oil and now that it sat overnight, its up to just above the second hole.

IF it was low, would adding just 1 quart get it back up to the second dot on the dip stick.

I wouldn't have been worried if I was driving normally but I was driving it kinda hard.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

happened to my friend once. now he has a oil pres gauge. he says its the best thing he did now he hasn't ran low on oil for a year.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

An oil pressure gauge isn't going to help....That will tell you too little too late. If your oil pressure drops, there is no way that you will notice it in time to actually do any good. (sure, it is a nice thing to be able to check, but it isn't going to save your motor if you run it out of oil) Check your oil regularly and you won't have this problem.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:31 AM
Trial User

Default Re: (drtysohc)

Yes I know.. I check my oil regularly.

My only question is.. IS IT POSSIBLE THAT MY OIL WAS LOW (OR WAS IT JUST NOT SETTLED BACK DOWN YET) because after adding 1 quart its just past the second dot on the dipstick.

HOW MANY QUARTS REGISTER ON THE DIPSTICK?

Since my dipstick is now up to the second dot, what would it be if I were to subtract exactly 1 quart?

I'm just trying to see what my oil level really was before and to see if I potentially damaged anything.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was TOLD today that the dipstick only registers around 1 quart.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Very little registers on the dipstick. You probably didn't let the car sit long enough before checking. That's not too say that your oil level was ideal before running the car on the track, but still probably not low enough to warrant adding a whole quart. As long as your not beyond the MAX mark, go ahead and keep driving the car, but check it regularly and determine your rate of oil consumption.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:20 PM
Trial User

Default Re: (Hardedge)

Well can anyone confirm that the dipstick only registers 1 quart?

In that case, if I was running on 3 quarts or a bit more, could I have done any damage?
Old 02-03-2008, 06:23 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

More than likely, the oil was still working it's way back to the pan; therefore, you didnt get an accurate reading. Having said that, its better to be safe than sorry. If you end up having to drain a bit out, its better than being a little low and spinning a bearing like i did with my turbo GSR. Turbo cars need even more oil than NA cars because there is a lot tied up in the oiling system for the turbo; meaning, you have to keep an eye on your oil level at all times.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Razr2)

if the car runs strong and there's no knocking/strange noises or blue smoke coming from the exhaust you dont have nothing to worry about

Next time check your oil before you go raping it. Everytime i go to the track i check my oil before my car even makes a pass, then again before heading home. Chances are your car wasnt on a level surface when you checked if after your little sprint
Old 02-03-2008, 06:29 PM

Default Re: (Schister66)

even if all the oil didnt find its way back down yet, adding a quart of oil would still bring the line up a good amount on the dipstick. so if its just at the second hole than it would probably be pretty low on the dipstick if you hadn't added that quart.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DC2Projektz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DC2Projektz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">even if all the oil didnt find its way back down yet, adding a quart of oil would still bring the line up a good amount on the dipstick. so if its just at the second hole than it would probably be pretty low on the dipstick if you hadn't added that quart.</TD></TR></TABLE>

cant let nothing get past you can we
Old 02-03-2008, 07:02 PM
Trial User

Default Re: (DC2Projektz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DC2Projektz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">even if all the oil didnt find its way back down yet, adding a quart of oil would still bring the line up a good amount on the dipstick. so if its just at the second hole than it would probably be pretty low on the dipstick if you hadn't added that quart.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm trying to figure out now..

After adding the 1 quart of oil, it's right above the second hole on the dipstick. If I were to subtract EXACTLY 1 quart of oil from my car right now, where would it show on the dipstick. Would that be considered low?
Old 02-03-2008, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

only 1 quart will register on the dip stick. when i changed my oil i put only 3 quart and tested it and nothing showed up but when i put the next quart in it was prefect. my advice would be to keep atleast 1 quart with you at all time. but then again my cam seal is leaking! LOL
Old 02-04-2008, 02:26 PM

Yes, if you were to subtract that quart it would be low on the dip stick. but were you aware of the oil level before you got on the track?
Old 02-04-2008, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Razr2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm trying to figure out now..

After adding the 1 quart of oil, it's right above the second hole on the dipstick. If I were to subtract EXACTLY 1 quart of oil from my car right now, where would it show on the dipstick. Would that be considered low?</TD></TR></TABLE>

why are you trying to figure out where your oil level was so bad?? if the motor is obviously fine just take this as a lesson to check your oil more often. you were low on oil, got lucky not to spin a bearing, dont let it happen again

Its not like knowing how low your oil was will help anything....
Old 02-04-2008, 04:56 PM

Default Re: (trav95civic)

x2

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by trav95civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

why are you trying to figure out where your oil level was so bad?? if the motor is obviously fine just take this as a lesson to check your oil more often. you were low on oil, got lucky not to spin a bearing, dont let it happen again

Its not like knowing how low your oil was will help anything....</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 03-05-2008, 06:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (highrev98civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by highrev98civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">only 1 quart will register on the dip stick. when i changed my oil i put only 3 quart and tested it and nothing showed up but when i put the next quart in it was prefect. my advice would be to keep atleast 1 quart with you at all time. but then again my cam seal is leaking! LOL </TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow, this is good stuff, good confirmed info, thanks for confirming this!