Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Depo vs Oem

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Depo vs Oem

For the people that have had both have you noticed any difference in light output and beam pattern?

I have depo fogs right now for 96-98 civic, the output seems pretty good and the output too. However one of the lens are cracked and I'm thinking either depo or oem.

Also anyone have experience with depo vs oem side markers? my depo look generic when they blink but then again I havn't seen oem markers at work. Price difference between the two are not far off.

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2008, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Depo vs Oem (OneFire)

You should go with the OEM side markers.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Depo vs Oem (yoontim23)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by yoontim23 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You should go with the OEM side markers.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do they look different at all? Problem right now I'm having is the depos on my car look generic as hell when they blink. Sort of like the light doesn't fill the entire side marker. When it blinks and all you see is a tiny bulb shape blink inside a plastic housing and the light doesn't fill the whole side marker. Looks ghetto imo
Old 10-31-2008, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OEM or Esuse fogs FTW. Nofx did a review/comparison between the two and there were big differences
Old 10-31-2008, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

go OEM.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sde780)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sde780 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OEM or Esuse fogs FTW. Nofx did a review/comparison between the two and there were big differences</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you know if there's a thread for that somewhere? I searched, "Nofx" didn't come up with anything
Old 10-31-2008, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (OneFire)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by OneFire &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Do you know if there's a thread for that somewhere? I searched, "Nofx" didn't come up with anything </TD></TR></TABLE>

search content created by user NOFX in the archive. not current

EDIT: i searched it also and did not find anything she wrote on the subject
Old 10-31-2008, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Depo vs Oem (OneFire)

I have Depo foglights and they leak. Go with OEM.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coming from someone who has had both DEPO and OEM...

... OEM all the way!
Old 10-31-2008, 10:54 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default FV-QR

Okay, as many of you probably know by not, I have a '98 EX coupe and my boyfriend (Eran, on here) has a '97 CX hatch.

I've had clear square DEPO lights, clear square Esuse lights and clear square OEM lights.

He's had ion square Esuse, clear round OE (earlier, fluted glass version) and clear round OE (later, non-fluted version).

Speaking of my fog lights (since this thread is about that type), the OE have a noticeably better beam pattern than the Esuse. The Esuse had a better beam pattern than the DEPO.

The Esuse lights are structurally very similar to the OEM. You can actually use Esuse parts to replace broken OE parts on the lights. I actually ended up using one of the Esuse back covers for the OE lights I got since one was missing the original cover.

Take note with the following images that the DEPO and Esuse lights were both brand new when I got them and used for several years apiece. The OE foglights were used when I got them and were on at least two other cars before mine.

The DEPO lights are used in the photos on the left. They're not in the photos on the right. The DEPO lights were also stored inside for several months before these photos were taken. Notice there is still water vapor from the horrible leaks DEPO lights experience.

The Esuse lights are new in the photos on the left. They're used in the right photos.

The OE lights are only in the right photos and are already used by two vehicles.

If you have a choice, go with OE. If you can't find or afford the OE, try to find a set of Esuse lights. The DEPOs are by far the most common lights to find for sale though, being sold regularly on both eBay and PW:JDM. The DEPO lights come with a long red wire; an easy way to tell you're looking at DEPOs.

<FONT SIZE="3">TOP
DEPO / Esuse - Esuse / OE

SIDE - OUTSIDE

BOTTOM

SIDE - INSIDE

REAR

FRONT

MARKINGS
DEPO

Esuse

OE</FONT>

<FONT COLOR="WHITE"> OE OEM Original Equipment Manufacturer Manufactured Esuse DEPO Depot beam ray flat wide far bright dim glass lens lenses backing housing assembly comparison versus better best worse worst bad good great wire wires wiring leak leaking clear yellow difference same </FONT>

Modified by NOFX at 12:06 AM 11/1/2008
Old 10-31-2008, 11:08 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: (davefromPA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by davefromPA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">search content created by user NOFX in the archive. not current

EDIT: i searched it also and did not find anything she wrote on the subject</TD></TR></TABLE>
Search is still messed up since the server switch. You'll probably notice that if you search for posts with my name you'll find no posts by me or having anything to do with me.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (NOFX)

Thanks for all the info NOFX! Really appreciate it
Old 11-03-2008, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (OneFire)

cant beat OE honda parts