Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Dent on muffler, should I buy it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 04:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dent on muffler, should I buy it?

Well im looking for an axle back and will just get pipings for it. I came across with this kakimoto racing for $130-$140 but it has a dent. check the pic.

You guys think its fine, i mean performance wise I don't think it will hinder it but the sound? It is 2.5" inlet for a b16a.. boo?

Old 01-29-2008, 05:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Dent on muffler, should I buy it? (bl1tzk1213g)

Id lowball that offer a bit. it looks like sombody stole that off a car. you might wanna ask him, dont wanna be sporting that muffle and have the owner see his dent, might call for a hood smashing.

looks good tho,
Old 01-29-2008, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I think that price is quite high for a dented muffler.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EK_B)

I would definately work him doen a little if your serious about buying it.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dent on muffler, should I buy it? (THC07)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by THC07 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Id lowball that offer a bit. it looks like sombody stole that off a car. you might wanna ask him, dont wanna be sporting that muffle and have the owner see his dent, might call for a hood smashing.

looks good tho, </TD></TR></TABLE>

The exhaust hangers were cut off too, that does make it look like a theft even more so honestly.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:18 PM

If you don't have a problem with the appearance/dent in the exhaust, then I don't see why you wouldn't buy it. I don't see any thing that would cause a downfall in performance. However, I would try to get a price reduction. And like everyone else has said, you might want to be weary of theft. The point about the cutoff exhaust hangers is good. You should never have to do that to take off an exhaust...
Old 01-29-2008, 02:31 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .PLUMMM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you don't have a problem with the appearance/dent in the exhaust, then I don't see why you wouldn't buy it. I don't see any thing that would cause a downfall in performance. However, I would try to get a price reduction. And like everyone else has said, you might want to be weary of theft. The point about the cutoff exhaust hangers is good. You should never have to do that to take off an exhaust...</TD></TR></TABLE>

X2. I cannot imagine having to cut off the hangers unless you were quickly getting it off. Even that though, is still possible. My buddy and I had parted out his car and when we were doing it, we wanted to get everything done in one day, so we just cut the hangers as well.

So it is possible he owns it, but find out where the dent came from too. with a dent like that, i'd say either offer him less, or don't buy it at all! Always start low, and then find middle ground.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dent on muffler, should I buy it? (meyerman_b16a2)

thats my muffler. i had the same dent on it. it got stolen about two weeks ago. just joking. it probably was stolen but bring the price down as low as possible if you really want it.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

actually "JDM" or "JASMA" mufflers are popular here in the Philippines and most of the branded exhaust/mufflers are imported. I believe this came from their suppliers from japan so I wouldnt worry about theft

Which one would be better in both looks and sound, this muffler or Tanabe G-Medallion?
Old 01-30-2008, 06:29 AM
* B A N N E D *

Yeah that is way high for a dented muffler unless it was an Apex, HKS, Tanabe or any other reputable brand. Save your money and get a no brand muffler from a local shop. As long as you trust the shop and like the muffler you'll be pleased.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:47 AM

Default Re: Dent on muffler, should I buy it? (spivt11)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spivt11 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah that is way high for a dented muffler unless it was an Apex, HKS, Tanabe or any other reputable brand. Save your money and get a no brand muffler from a local shop. As long as you trust the shop and like the muffler you'll be pleased. </TD></TR></TABLE>

and this is why we call them "ricers".

bumble bee bumble bee!!!

ignore him, and get a BRAND NAME exhaust!
Old 01-30-2008, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spivt11 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah that is way high for a dented muffler unless it was an Apex, HKS, Tanabe or any other reputable brand. Save your money and get a no brand muffler from a local shop. As long as you trust the shop and like the muffler you'll be pleased. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You get what you pay for. No-name brands tend to suck, regardless.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've seen shops cut hangers before.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:51 AM
* B A N N E D *

To Meyerman

You are what we call not a tuner. A local muffler shop will have a suitable muffler, and they won't have fart cans which is what you probably have on your car. I got my exhaust done at a shop, custom 2" piping with resonator and 3.5" tip muffler. Sounds just as good as name brand even better than those fart Skunk 2 exhausts. Save your money kid! Real tuners get custom jobs done with a reputable muffler shop. Don't be a brand "*****"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-30-2008, 10:33 AM

still don't see why anyone would cut the hangers... a couple squirts of wd-40 and the hangers come off first try for me... i would think cutting through a 1"+ piece of rubber would take MUCH more effort, but that's just me...
Old 01-30-2008, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dent on muffler, should I buy it? (pgpunkguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pgpunkguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">still don't see why anyone would cut the hangers... a couple squirts of wd-40 and the hangers come off first try for me... i would think cutting through a 1"+ piece of rubber would take MUCH more effort, but that's just me...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ditto, My car was from Downtown Chicago and the underbody was coated in protectant, but everything that wasn't was rusting away *Muffler/exhaust* and even with all the rust, we just gave it a few swift tugs and it game off, rubber that thick takes some decent tools to get through.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:54 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spivt11 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">To Meyerman

You are what we call not a tuner. A local muffler shop will have a suitable muffler, and they won't have fart cans which is what you probably have on your car. I got my exhaust done at a shop, custom 2" piping with resonator and 3.5" tip muffler. Sounds just as good as name brand even better than those fart Skunk 2 exhausts. Save your money kid! Real tuners get custom jobs done with a reputable muffler shop. Don't be a brand "*****"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

hahahah wow dude. You're funny. Seeing as, i have a greddy evo2 exhaust and it is far from shitty... Congrats to you for having a good no name exhaust. Real tuners get custom jobs with a reputable muffler shop... Sigh.. I'm sure it is great, but more times than not, you A. get what you pay for and B. no names (generic) and are not typically as good.

Modified by meyerman_b16a2 at 4:06 PM 1/30/2008
Old 01-30-2008, 04:50 PM

I made the mistake of buying a no-name muffler from a muffler shop once. NEVER again will I make that huge mistake. Sounded like crap and performed like the same.

No offense, if you know that the shop is good, then by all means. I would never do it again. I got an Apexi N1 cat-back later that to this day I regret giving up (I sold the car).

Reputable, proven name brands are always going to outperform the no-names.

You will never see one car on the front of any tuner magazine showing off that they got a "shop muffler". Yes, a lot of people have to fabricate custom piping, and sometimes you have to because the layout you have in mind does not exist for your setup, but the smart move is to use quality name-brand mufflers.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:51 PM

Default Re: Dent on muffler, should I buy it? (Castroblues)

Lowball him but the dent won't affect anything.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dent on muffler, should I buy it? (HMTforlife)

stay away from it dude cuz you dont want to take the chance of sportin someone elses muffler cuz trust me they will be on the lookout for it.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1. Who cares about the damm hangers, if they are cut or not.

2. At this point, who cares if the damm thing is stolen or not, YOU are paying for it, period. If you personally don't care, the to hell with what anyone here thinks, after all, whatever consequence it might have, YOU are dealing with it.

3. And yes, try and offer him less money, maybe like 70-80 is fair.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:36 AM

Default Re: Dent on muffler, should I buy it? (pgpunkguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pgpunkguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">still don't see why anyone would cut the hangers... a couple squirts of wd-40 and the hangers come off first try for me..</TD></TR></TABLE>

x2
Old 01-31-2008, 11:27 AM

Default Re: (95egb18c3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95egb18c3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1. Who cares about the damm hangers, if they are cut or not.

2. At this point, who cares if the damm thing is stolen or not, YOU are paying for it, period. If you personally don't care, the to hell with what anyone here thinks, after all, whatever consequence it might have, YOU are dealing with it.

3. And yes, try and offer him less money, maybe like 70-80 is fair.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you know or even suspect it's stolen there are 2 problems:

1. It's illegal

2. You are a scumbag no better than the thief themself.