Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

del sol wiring issue effecting main relay, and fuel pump.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default del sol wiring issue effecting main relay, and fuel pump.

93 del sol SI

i had alot of issues with wiring since ive had this car and i took the carpet out and made sure everything was right; disconnected/reconnected everything car ran fine then i turboed my d16 blew that. swaped for a y7/y8 and had fuel problems after a while so checked wiring and eventually got the car running, but that motor never ran right so i swaped to a single cam JDM ZC VTEC.

when i turn the ignition key forward (all the way except to crank) the main relay clicks but the fuel pump DOES NOT prime or make noise period. my dash only displays the BATTERY light and time and stuff but the batterys not bad its been checked out. i have experence with the main relay and know about the problems they can cause so i went on and replaced it with a brand new one anyhow

> i done what the haynes manual says and jumped from the 5 to 7 pins on the main relay connector with the main relay out and turned the key forward the fuel pump still doesnt prime
> then it said check the #2 fuse on the dash fuse box. its good.
> i also have 2 ecus im using to make sure it wasnt a bad ecu.

im asking for anyhelp ive been without a car for a long time and i need one now. whats a way to check to make sure the fuel pump is good, what does the main relay hook up to other than the number 2 fuse. does anyone have a picture of the area under a del sol so ill know everythings wired up right (theres two small relays i guess they are right beside where the main relay sits and their one beside the other does it matter which connector is pluged in which? because they have the same connector and they werent connected at one time so i put them one way and ive tried them the other but i may have messed up one of them or both by plugging the wrong connector.

also ive searched and searched many different ways to find this info for a couple of days now i figured id rather be flamed for hours about searching and MAYBE get someone who can help me than to just not ask for help and be screwed forever
Old 07-27-2005, 07:26 PM

Default Re: del sol wiring issue effecting main relay, and fuel pump. (ncskate)

I think I have the same Haynes manual you do. Did you check for voltage as the troubleshooting section tells you to?

If you don't already have the tools, you need a jumper wire, continuity tester, and voltmeter. Some of the better multimeters have a voltmeter, and continuity tester in one unit. The cont tester is also helpful for finding bad grounds.

Fuel pumps can die in as little as 140,000 miles.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:12 PM

Default Re: del sol wiring issue effecting main relay, and fuel pump. (hondapwr)

oh i was in a hurry i forgot to mention i have no voltage getting to the fuel pump... i checked the wires on both connectors at the fuel pump
Old 07-27-2005, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check your notorious grounds... ALL OF THEM. try adding a couple to make sure
Old 07-28-2005, 04:56 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ncskate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oh i was in a hurry i forgot to mention i have no voltage getting to the fuel pump... i checked the wires on both connectors at the fuel pump</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think the next step in the book is to check the relay? Could also be a bad ground.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:46 AM

Default Re: del sol wiring issue effecting main relay, and fuel pump. (hondapwr)

where are all the grounds for the interior wiring harness? and i checked the relay infact this is a brand new relay and ive tried one off another working civic also
Old 07-28-2005, 12:25 PM

and i also used a jumper wire from the number 5 slot to the number 7 (power to the fuel pump) so its like a relay isnt even used and the fuel pump still didnt prime.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:07 PM

bump
Old 07-28-2005, 05:34 PM

bump again last time for this thread... ive replaced some grounds ad added on from thermostat to battery -... my wiring harness is grounded to the top of the starter (nothing new something ive always done and it worked. and the transmission is grounded to the chassis.. im about to add another ground from the valve cover to the chassis. other than that what other grounds (i.e. interior wise) should i check for
Old 07-28-2005, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you getting any spark at all?

Just curious b/c my main relay went bad and those were the two simptoms - no spark and no fuel pressure. I replaced the relay and it fired right up.

In hot weather the main relays tend to go bad, which is what is possibly wrong with your car.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:45 AM

Default Re: (Electrodynamic)

no i have a brand new main relay and the motor has new rings that havent been set yet because the motor hasnt ran yet so i dont really want to crank it over to check for spark if it could hurt the rings

Edit: AND i used a relay off a working car already too with the same result, then i used the jumper cable method which directly gives power to the fuel pump
Old 07-29-2005, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hrm...probably isn't that relay then.

Either you edited your last post and added a reply to me asking about spark or I'm just a retard and missed it. Either way, since you don't want to crank over the motor (which I don't blame you for) I have no idea what your problem might be. Sorry man.

Modified by Electrodynamic at 2:17 AM 8/1/2005
Old 07-29-2005, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so ur main relay is clicking?? exact same thing happen to my b16 swap in my ek...my problem was bcuzz i didnt ground out my motor...3 grounds that i noe of...1 from the valve cover, 1 from thermostat housing, 1 from the tranny...after i grounded those my main relay started to work perfect again and it stopped clicking...