Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Del Sol Weight...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Del Sol Weight...

Hi,

I know that the Del Sol Si is the heaviest of the Del Sol's but is this because of the engine, or other extras that the other Del Sols don't have?

Secondly, I'm debating between an EK Civic or a Del Sol and I heard that the Del Sol will give up some chassis rigidity to the EK. What do you guys think about this?

Finally, I'm going to be eventually swapping a new engine into whichever car I choose. Is one easier to swap engines too or are they pretty equal? I'm looking at the B18C1 and the H22 right now.

Thanks!
Old 02-09-2006, 11:54 AM

Default Re: Del Sol Weight... (IcebergMan)

b18c is alllot easier and both engines are very good engines.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IcebergMan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hi,

I know that the Del Sol Si is the heaviest of the Del Sol's but is this because of the engine, or other extras that the other Del Sols don't have?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

del sol vtec with the b16 is the heaviest, followed by the si, then the s. a 's' model is not much heavier than a civic. an EK's chassis is more rigid than the sols, but I don't think its really an issue unless you plan on taking it to a HPDE. B18c1 is an easier swap, H22 is more power, there's a lot of info comparing these two motors if you search.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:32 PM

Pretty much the same, except to put a B series into a del Sol you need to get the del Sol VTEC shift linkage. Integra or SI linkage won't work. Also if you get a del Sol make sure its an SI model, they already have VTEC wired, it has a P28 ecu and rear disk brakes. Here is a link that will tell you all about the del Sols

http://www.teamdelsol.com/technical/faq/Specs/
Old 02-09-2006, 12:39 PM

Default Re: Del Sol Weight... (PhillySol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PhillySol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also if you get a del Sol make sure its an SI model, they already have VTEC wired, </TD></TR></TABLE>

the s models are pre-wired for vtec too, although running 3 wires through the firewall isn't that hard anyways.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:07 PM

Okay, thanks guys. Is the VTEC Del Sol heavier than the Si and the S because of the engine? Or because of other cosmetic things that the S and the Si don't have?

Finally, if I did swap in either of these engines, would the EK and the Del Sol be pretty close in weight?
Old 02-09-2006, 01:15 PM

Default Re: (IcebergMan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IcebergMan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Finally, if I did swap in either of these engines, would the EK and the Del Sol be pretty close in weight?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yep.

I think the vtec and si would be within 20 lbs of each other without their motors. I drive a del sol s with rear disc conversion (weighs more than drums), full interior (no ac or ps), H22, that weighs 2450 with me in it (at 185 lbs) so 2265 just car. If you're going to swap motors, and weight is an issue, I would suggest getting an s.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IcebergMan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Okay, thanks guys. Is the VTEC Del Sol heavier than the Si and the S because of the engine? Or because of other cosmetic things that the S and the Si don't have?

Finally, if I did swap in either of these engines, would the EK and the Del Sol be pretty close in weight?</TD></TR></TABLE>engine/tranny, extra suspension components, larger brakes, etc
Old 02-09-2006, 03:46 PM

Okay, thanks guys. I just didn't know if I wanted the Si/S or the VTEC. I was curious about the weight because if it was cosmetic stuff I'd just get an S/Si but since it isn't I'll get a VTEC since I can have a little more fun in that until I do the engine swap...
Old 02-09-2006, 03:49 PM

has any1 ever tried an LS on a delsol... i wonder if its worth it ?
Old 02-09-2006, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cosmetic wise, they're very similar. the vtec model sits a bit lower due to different springs, has different wheels(at least compared to the s models), and a different exhaust tip(compared to the s). That's pretty much it.