Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Del sol uncommon roof leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 03:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon4 Del sol uncommon roof leak

I know about the various ways to correct the leakin del sol roofs, that is when it's in the common areas. I have replaced all the weather stripping, cleared all drains, used body sealer to seal potential cracks in original sealant where frame lines meet, reinforced all clip holes for sail panels and third brake light with silicone and then buttel tape/dum dum for a tight seal.

My leak is coming from directly above the head rests from an open spot in the frame, identical on both sides. Leaks less then when I started but is still leaking. Drips right onto the middle of both rear compartments.

I am about to re shim the roof locks/latches (front and back) to see if a tighter seal is needed but it is already very tight, from the new weather stripings I put on.

If anyone has any suggestions or has had this leak and got rid if it entirely please post on here.

I'm no good with posting pictures on here, can email some if anyone is really determined to help. Thanks guys.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Del sol uncommon roof leak

have this same problem with mine have yet to look into it but mine is also leaking from the roof on to drive side
Old 08-14-2011, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone have any insite on this?? I'm about to re shim but do not want to ruin my new weather seals by squashing them! I'm also going to try bodysealing some more places o see if that helps. Going to change out the towels now since it rained last night. Thanks.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have never worked on a delsol top before but I can tell you from chassing a leak on the rear hatch on my civic that if the latch on the rear is bolted to the frame that I would unbolt it and would be very surprised if there were not cracks in the seam sealler around that mount.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has the car ever been in a accident? I have a 93 del sol that was once hit in the driver's door. After the repair the driver side roof latch doen't engage tightly in to the rear roll bar latch hole. I think the del sol frame is easy to tweak and cause alignment problems in the targa roof system.
Also try 3M Silicon Paste on the seals it really sheds the water. (NAPA store)
Old 08-15-2011, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea i had the same issue, i just replaced the trim around it and put the silicon paste from honda on it. works perfect.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Trying 3m paste before I shim roof, I'm guessing thin layers and on all weather strippings and hopefully that will do it. Thanks guys!
Old 08-19-2011, 03:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I got same problem. My car look like never get accident.

Do someone suggest to change rubber seal?
Old 09-15-2011, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update!!

Shimmd roof at all 4 corners with the thickest shims they make. This stopped my front leaks and possibly slowed the rears but it's difficult to tell.

Got a new windshield and that stopped my major leak upfront into the footwells.

Found missing plugs/torn grommets on firewall and plugged up the holes, this was also adding to my footwell flooding.

Trunk leak (that I hadn't mentioned) was coming in from around the sail panel clips. Ordering new clips when i get the cash and I'm going to seal them in place.

Almost water free interior, then it's time for new carpet!!
Old 11-09-2011, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Final Update!!!

Found clutch master cylinder leaking, this ate away at the gasket and caused water to feed inbetween the firewall and cylinder.

Found cracks in original sealant by hood hinges, causing leaking into footwell also.

I used that infomercial spray and seal stuff on inside of rear upper frame, completely solved mystery leaks. Will never know exactly where it was leaking from but I have an idea. Also used it on cracks in sealant and on sale panel clips that were loose.

Once I replace clutch master cylinder I am 100% leak free!! I hope this helps someone else because these were not common leaks at all.

- Houghton