Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

del sol trunk release help

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default del sol trunk release help

i have a 95 si and my lever to open the trunk in the cabin does not open my trunk. i have to hold it up and have someone else open the trunk for me. the gas door lever works but not the trunk lever. does anyone have a diagram of how the cable runs. thanks in advance
Old 07-19-2006, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Take the box off aand look at all the cables...
Old 07-19-2006, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (vlc92189)

well i removed the cover off the box. and also removed all my panels behind my seats. when i lift the lever i can feel some resistance in the cable
Old 07-19-2006, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dohcVTECeg2)

I have the exact same problem. look at the latch in the trunk and see if there is a shim under your latch hook. i have one there and im guessing thats the problem, so if you can pull it out let me know if it works. i tried taking mine out and couldnt do it, the manual says there is only 22lbs or somthing yet i couldnt break it free with a huge breakerbar so i dont know.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: del sol trunk release help (dohcVTECeg2)

Let me try a different angle here.

So you pull the trunk release in the cabin and the trunk unlocks but does not open? But it does unlock, so that with the released pulled, someone can walk back there and pull open the trunk?

The springs on your trunk handle popping it open once the trunk is unlocked. If you have a wing on the rear, the factory springs aren't strong enough pop it open with the added weight of the wing. I have this problem. I believe the OEM dealer-installed wing kit came with upgraded springs that could handle the additional weight, but I went with an aftermarket wing so I'm stuck with the factory springs.

If you don't have a wing on the rear deck, then I'd say your springs are worn out and the problem should go away if you replace them. That's assuming that the trunk opens freely with the handle pulled. If it's sticking closed and you have to use effort to pull it open, then there's a problem with the latching mechanism. But based on what you're saying, it doesn't sound like that's the case.

If you want to judge for yourself how hard it is to open, a D-cell Maglite will wedge the handle open all the way without stressing it. Just feed it through the opening on the left when you've got the handle pulled, under the top of the handle, so it'll rest against the side of the car & let the handle press down on top of the flashlight.

Modified by MonkeyBoy668 at 5:54 PM 7/19/2006
Old 07-19-2006, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: del sol trunk release help (MonkeyBoy668)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MonkeyBoy668 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Let me try a different angle here.

So you pull the trunk release in the cabin and the trunk unlocks but does not open? But it does unlock, so that with the released pulled, someone can walk back there and pull open the trunk? Yes.

If you don't have a wing on the rear deck, then I'd say your springs are worn out and the problem should go away if you replace them. That's assuming that the trunk opens freely with the handle pulled. where would the springs be located? around the trunk release area in the trunk?

If you want to judge for yourself how hard it is to open, a D-cell Maglite will wedge the handle open all the way without stressing it. Just feed it through the opening on the left when you've got the handle pulled, under the top of the handle, so it'll rest against the side of the car & let the handle press down on top of the flashlight.

Modified by MonkeyBoy668 at 5:54 PM 7/19/2006</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 07-20-2006, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: del sol trunk release help (dohcVTECeg2)

From memory I remember the springs as being part of the trunk hinge mechanism, but I can't find them in the exploded diagrams of that part online. It's storming like a mother outside otherwise I'd run to my car and eyeball it.

Maybe you could just replace the "STAY SET, TRUNK OPEN" (you'll need that x2), which are the pistons on the left/right that should just hold the trunk open - but maybe they provide some pressure to pop open the trunk too?

Sorry for being so non-specific, I'm in the process of fighting someone's spyware/trojan/rootkit riddled box and I'm a little frazzled. Hopefully another HT'er who is more familiar with Honda trunk hinge mechanisms will chime in...

With the cars I've worked on in the past you'd have a spring in the hinge mechanism to handle the initial the hood/trunk pop, the stays simply keep the hood/trunk open once you lift it up. When those stays get worn the hood/trunk slowly starts falling after you open it all the way. From the diagram I'm seeing I don't see a spring, so maybe the stays handle the initial pop too. I know on my hood there's a separate spring up near the latch to provide that initial pop, but I haven't seen an equivalent spring like that by the trunk latch.

Modified by MonkeyBoy668 at 5:46 PM 7/20/2006
Old 07-23-2009, 11:35 AM
New User

Default Re: del sol trunk release help

i have a manual roof del sol but dnt have an interior release or is it hidin somewhere , my car is a jdm import.