Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Del Sol Track Car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Del Sol Track Car?

Hi,

How are Del Sols as track cars? I am undecided between the Sol and a NB Miata (98-05). I would to a b18 or b16 swap into the sol
Old 09-08-2007, 09:37 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Del Sol Track Car? (DesioMedia)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DesioMedia &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hi,

How are Del Sols as track cars? I am undecided between the Sol and a NB Miata (98-05). I would to a b18 or b16 swap into the sol</TD></TR></TABLE>

Heavy, and lacking structure.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Del Sol Track Car? (DesioMedia)

Miata's are much better in every possible way. Or check ebay or the Road Racing/Autocross forum. Usually you can pick up someone else's well sorted out track car for very cheap (compared to building your own).

Swapping motors may not be a good idea if you want your car to be competitive.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Del Sol Track Car? (rmcdaniels)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rmcdaniels &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Miata's are much better in every possible way. Or check ebay or the Road Racing/Autocross forum. Usually you can pick up someone else's well sorted out track car for very cheap (compared to building your own).

Swapping motors may not be a good idea if you want your car to be competitive.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Del Sols are heavy to begin with.

Then double at the bolded part. Ask Rodney .
Old 09-08-2007, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Del Sol Track Car? (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Del Sols are heavy to begin with.

Then double at the bolded part. Ask Rodney .</TD></TR></TABLE>

X2, for a small car, youd think they would be light.
They are pretty fat mother's.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:53 PM

In all honesty I want another small car that I could use for HPDE use and eventuley prepared class track use.

As far as I know Miatas are heavier than sol's. #2301 over #2350
Old 09-08-2007, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DesioMedia)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DesioMedia &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">In all honesty I want another small car that I could use for HPDE use and eventuley prepared class track use.

As far as I know Miatas are heavier than sol's. #2301 over #2350</TD></TR></TABLE>

Whys the choice have to be between those 2?
Gutted EG hatch is pretty light you know, that is, if light is what you are looking for.
The guy at the local autocross that takes the gold everytime, and in states too, runs an EG hatch, B18c5 (built), race susp, cage, and 4 drag slicks.

Miata's are there all the time, but they never get close to his times.
Not to say miata's are slow, but for a big autoX event, i have yet to see one get close.
Thats Autocross tho, roadracing/track is another story.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DesioMedia &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">In all honesty I want another small car that I could use for HPDE use and eventuley prepared class track use.

As far as I know Miatas are heavier than sol's. #2301 over #2350</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm no expert on weights but I just took some time to search a little and it seems as though the del sol is about ~200-300lbs heavier. You're not talking about a big difference when you take it from teh point of view that it's a track car and everything will be stripped out of it anyways.

Personally I'd go with the miata for a few reasons more than the fact that it's RWD, but whatever floats your boat.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:08 PM

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'm no expert on weights but I just took some time to search a little and it seems as though the del sol is about ~200-300lbs heavier. You're not talking about a big difference when you take it from teh point of view that it's a track car and everything will be stripped out of it anyways.

Personally I'd go with the miata for a few reasons more than the fact that it's RWD, but whatever floats your boat.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your right I was looking at wrong numbers. What are the reasons aside from RWD and that the panels can be fixed easier.

My issues is that I like the looks of the del sol much more.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:10 PM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DesioMedia &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Your right I was looking at wrong numbers. What are the reasons aside from RWD and that the panels can be fixed easier.

My issues is that I like the looks of the del sol much more. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You care about what your track car is going to look like?
Old 09-08-2007, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DesioMedia &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

My issues is that I like the looks of the del sol much more. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well first off, I'm not a fan of del sols....at all.

Secondly, I'm a pretty big fan of the Miata. The only reason I didn't buy one is because A) It's a tight fit for me, B) There's no backseat (got extra stuff that you can't put anywhere now???), C) I'm not a big fan of convertables, which is the whole premise behind the Miata as it's a roadster 'n all.

So I guess all my reasons just fall into those categories - I'm a pretty big fan of the Miata, and I hate the del sol...so I obviously got a pretty biased opinion here.

Old 09-08-2007, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

They weigh pretty close to the same, but it doesn't really matter.

Autox is not HPDE, totally different, I do both.

Small in what way, physical dimensions? Why? An EG hatch weighs less, and you've got room in the back for a set of wheels, toolbox, cooler, dead hooker, etc.

What Prepared class?

If you just want a fun car to track for your own enjoyment and you like del Sol's, then go for it, but a swapped del Sol can't compare to a Miata for a number of reasons.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:21 AM

Default Re: (rmcdaniels)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rmcdaniels &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They weigh pretty close to the same, but it doesn't really matter.

Autox is not HPDE, totally different, I do both.

Small in what way, physical dimensions? Why? An EG hatch weighs less, and you've got room in the back for a set of wheels, toolbox, cooler, dead hooker, etc.

What Prepared class?

If you just want a fun car to track for your own enjoyment and you like del Sol's, then go for it, but a swapped del Sol can't compare to a Miata for a number of reasons.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok thanks. I come from the BMW E36 world. I was going to build my 325is for the BMW CCA Prepared class (lightly modified). I've always wanted a small light car that I could throw around the track.

I've always wanted a honda to play with because of the huge potential and I really like the looks of the del sol. It seemed to fit the bill. In addition, everybody has a miata.

I'm really trying to find out why the Miata is that much better. So far I have goten RWD &gt; FWD & easier to fix the body.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's not necessarily that RWD is better than FWD, it's just that you can do more things with it. Throttle steering gives you options that you don't have in a FWD chassis. A Miata is a particularly good platform because you can work on a lot of different aspects of track driving in it, as it is a nimble and well balanced RWD platform.

The other thing is competitiveness within a class. Miatas are competitive within their classes, and there's a lot of them, so there's a lot of good competition and it's easy to research good track setups for them, because everybody and his brother runs them. E30's are the same way. I rarely see anyone running a del Sol, which is an advantage if your goal is uniqueness, but a disadvantage if you want to be competitive.

I used to run an E36 M3, my brother ran an E46 M3, both were fun track cars, fast and predictable. We both drive Hondas (at the track) now, mostly because they are cheap and if we ball one up we won't be crying over it like we would our M3's. One day I may get a cheap spec E30 when I get serious about being competitive, but for now I'm just learning and having fun, so I run a modified EG hatch for track and am building a CRX for autocross.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:01 AM

Default Re: (rmcdaniels)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rmcdaniels &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">One day I may get a cheap spec E30 when I get serious about being competitive, but for now I'm just learning and having fun, so I run a modified EG hatch for track and am building a CRX for autocross.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats exactly what I want to do have a cheap fun car that I wont freak out if I crash it. In general I try to take the path less traveled as I enjoy learning things for my self, which is why I'm asking about the sol. However, if the miata is a much better platform I will defiently go for it. How ballenced are the sol's. Which would be a better car to learn with? Are there any advantages with the sol?
Old 09-09-2007, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I can't think of any advantages to a del Sol, the reason I track a Honda is that I got a free junkyard shell and I already had a bunch of other Civic parts and know-how from other projects. The only other thing that I might track is a Sprite/Midget, but only because I have an extra one and have been tinkering with them on-and-off for 25 years (my gutted '62 Sprite weighed less than 1100 pounds, and a 13B fits nicely in the engine bay), but the Civic works well as a track beater so I'll probably keep running it for a year or two.