Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

del sol targa top question

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default del sol targa top question

Hey, Probably like every other del sol out there, my top leaks some water whenever it rains. I was wondering if anyone has come up with a cure for this. Should I have new seals installed or is there some product out there I can use to stop the leaks. Please let me know because I just got leather seats. Thanks.-Frost
Old 01-04-2007, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: del sol targa top question (Frost_1097)

new seals were quoted 350 bucks for front and the same amount for the other one. Scratch that. If you can find a del sol 95+, get those seals, as they were redesigned that year. You can find it at a junkyard, got mine for 35 bucks.

Or you can use spacers between the mounts on the body to make the roof tighter on the seals.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:28 AM

Default Re: del sol targa top question (DeadEnd9009)

That all sounds good. But I was wondering if there was some kind of sealant you could you use? Or are there any honda junkyards online that I could browse? thanks.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I belive there was a recall on that. Call up you local Honda dealership and ask if any recall has been done to your vechical.

Old 01-05-2007, 08:39 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: del sol targa top question (kaiba)

A recall on the del sol for the targa top seals?
Old 01-05-2007, 08:42 AM

I had the same problem, make sure that you use some silicon spray to keep the seals lubed up. I had major leaks, and then after one spray down with silicon, it stoped the leak right away. Now I spray them every time I wash my car, and the problem is gone. You can find the spray at your local Wal-Mart for like 1.00$. Hope this helps
Old 01-05-2007, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: del sol targa top question (del sol1658)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by del sol1658 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A recall on the del sol for the targa top seals?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yup! and also a recall for the rear defrost and some other thing(s) i cant remember
Old 01-05-2007, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: del sol targa top question (RARE_EG2)

last time i check there had never been a recall on the del sol, i called Honda in Cali and they said nothing came up...

Thats really interesting though, i'll have to call my local dealer and ask about the seals.

Thanks EG_2
Old 01-06-2007, 03:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: del sol targa top question (DeadEnd9009)

Yeah, I just did a pretty extensive search and there is no recall on the weatherstripping at all whatsoever. There may have been a technical service bulletin, but that doesn't entitle anyone to free replacement.

I like the idea above about revitalizing them...sounds like the best option. They need a product which moisturizes the seals, as well as causes some type of small growth in the seal. If the product doesn't exist, someone needs to invent it. Those seals are EXPENSIVE from Honda.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:48 AM

Default Re: del sol targa top question (RC000E)

hey thanks y'all, I think I'll try the sealent. does anyone know what brand or what it's called? thanks for the help guys?
Old 01-06-2007, 08:58 AM

its not a sealant, its a silicone spray, see if u can buy the stuff they use at the honda dealership. it works well and doesnt make too much of a mess
Old 01-08-2007, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Crasian)

Found something useful that pertains to this thread...figured I'd add it for future searchers.

Original Author: Paul Mooney "Peej"

Tools you will need: 100% Silicon Grease (Dielectric grease), and Silicon Spray. Only 100% Silicone grease is suggested to be used. Other types can contain additives which may contain harmful products which can cause harm to various applications. Also it is advised to keep the areas that have 100% silicone grease applied to them clean and free from dirt & other materials which may cause damage such as scratches to painted surfaces.

1. CHOOSE THE LUBRICATION: There are two types of lube that you need to purchase. 100% silicone grease & 100% silicone spray. The tube (toothpaste size) of grease is about $5 at any auto parts store (dielectric grease) or can be purchased from Honda for about $25 with part # 08798-9013. The can of spray is about $15 for a very large can.

2. WHERE TO USE THE SPRAY: The Spray is easily to use, but I only use it on in the locations the seals come in contact with the windows. Spray a mist of it on the seals and allow plenty of time for it to soak in. Then it wont smear on the windows.

3. WHERE TO USE THE GREASE: The use of the 100% silicone grease will be done on/in the following locations:
* Apply a thin uniform layer on the roof seals. I personally apply a thicker layer for the winter when the top will not be taken on & off as much. This allows the lube to soak into the seals more over time for a deeper conditioning.

* Apply some lube in the roof pin receivers and on the pins of the roof. Wipe away excess to reduce mess.

* Apply plenty of lube on the silver tab near the rear/bottom corner of each door and the black plastic slot. The silver tab seems to rub against the plastic and squeaks. Lubing it can eliminate friction at that point.

* Apply to mast of the radio antenna. Especially the power antenna masts. Lubing the masts will allow easy lifts and retracts, and will increase the life of the power antenna dramatically.

* Another point which may cause creaks is the spring from which the dome light gets its signal to turn on/off. You will need to remove the rubber boot and spray silicone inside the switch and re-apply the rubber boot.

* Apply this to other seals, tabs, locks, and various points from time to time.

NOTE: The 100% silicone grease (aka- Dielectric grease) is a great conditioner for seals and has been verified to not cause any damage on the seals from the manufacture of the grease. There are no harmful additives which can deteriorate rubber, paint, metal, or etc. This stuff is also the same as what is included with new spark plug wires/boots.

ADDITIONAL ROOF CREAKING:
Try this, First get a squeeze tube of either Chapstik or any Vaseline that comes in a gel form or in a tube not the roll up type. Squeeze a small drop about 2 mm wide on your finger. Apply the Vaseline to the top rear corner of each window (Not the front or rear side of the glass but the top edge of the window) You'll see this edge comes in contact with the blow out clip (shown in yellow circle in picture below) If you put enough on, the squeaking creak will go away. The way you can tell if you put enough on is the check the top edge of the window and see if the Vaseline smeared. This should eliminate the "WINDOW ROOF BLOW OUT CLIP CREAK". This is how we do it at the dealer I work for.

Old 01-16-2007, 12:37 PM

I did a very ghetto thing, I bought some vacuum tube and sealed it around the window. Stop it even under pressure wash
Old 01-16-2007, 08:34 PM

Default Re: del sol targa top question (Del Sol on Steroids)

vacuum lube? where did you get that? do you think it would work above the driver and passenger seats?