Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Del Sol roof seals

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Del Sol roof seals

Searching this forum, along with personal experiance, I see that everyone is well aware the Del Sol water leaks from the roof and top. Looking to replace all seals along the roof and on the top. Does anybody make those anymore? The dealerships don't carry them and it's pretty much an obsolete part now. Are there any aftermarket sources for these. I don't want any used pieces from ebay. I'm looking for new and hopefully "improved" pieces. Anyone have any luck?
Old 05-13-2015, 11:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Del Sol roof seals

Get ready to fork out some money.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ready.....
Old 05-14-2015, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes ive heard that they are very expensive. There isnt anyways to treat your rubber to make the seals better at all?
https://honda-tech.com/appearance-bu...build-3247475/

Old 05-14-2015, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, I'm aware of the bulletin. These seals are 20+ years old. My price is $480 plus tax but the rear seal is on back order from Honda. Just wondering if there was an aftermarket company making any.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by atxtracker
Yeah, I'm aware of the bulletin. These seals are 20+ years old. My price is $480 plus tax but the rear seal is on back order from Honda. Just wondering if there was an aftermarket company making any.
No, there is none at the moment. But I would not be surprised if someone started making them, there is good money there as almost all del Sol owners will be looking to get new seals in the coming years. I'm surprised they don't have this stuff at dealers, the production ceased in 1998 (97 in the US) and I believe they are supposed to supply all parts at least for 20 years so up till 2018. Maybe I'm wrong but I swear I read this somewhere and found it reasonable.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Matyikaaa90
No, there is none at the moment. But I would not be surprised if someone started making them, there is good money there as almost all del Sol owners will be looking to get new seals in the coming years. I'm surprised they don't have this stuff at dealers, the production ceased in 1998 (97 in the US) and I believe they are supposed to supply all parts at least for 20 years so up till 2018. Maybe I'm wrong but I swear I read this somewhere and found it reasonable.
I've got the front seal coming but the rear seal is on back order. Probably won't see it either. The parts dept tells me that they are seeing more and more parts being obsolete earlier. Even some later model parts, even back to 2000 are gone.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i am not sure it will help but i use: bkhondaparts.com to get all my replacements.
Old 05-15-2015, 03:09 PM
Sol to Sol

Honda Automotive Parts

Still for sale, still worth gold it seems...

And I did this twice, just clean the old gasket off, use fresh sealant, and take your time.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JarvisW
Honda Automotive Parts

Still for sale, still worth gold it seems...

And I did this twice, just clean the old gasket off, use fresh sealant, and take your time.
Yeah, #6 is still available, I ordered that one. Supposed to be here in my hand tomorrow. #7 is a different story. I work at a Honda dealership here in Tx and my parts dept tells me that #7 is on backorder with a release date of 5-13 but still no word. Meaning it is, more than likely, discontinued.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:59 AM
Sol to Sol

That ones not as bad tho. check the junkyards, and puff em up with the honda gasket stuff.

The main reason the front gasket can't be fixed like that is a design fault. the 95,maybe only 6+ fixed it, but wouldnt recall it for all of us lol
Old 05-17-2015, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, it looks that I may have waited too long. The front one did not come in and went on back order as well. Probably to go on the discontinued list too. Have not had a lot of luck trying to condition the seals so will have to look into either trying to make something myself or....I don't know what. I don't want to go through the hassle of messing with used ones from a junkyard or ebay. Hopefully someone comes out with a "fix" or an aftermarket company picks them up and starts making new and improved ones. What's sad is, I'm kinda waiting on fixing up the rest of the car. I don't want to sink a bunch of time, money and effort in a car that leaks and stinks after a big rain. May have to consider getting rid of it and getting a civic with a sunroof.
Old 05-17-2015, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Let me know if you find anything man, And dont give up on the sol man a sun room is nothing to a topless cruise. If It rains really crazy like it does out in nova scoita just try and tarp it or park under something. my sol leaked a tiny bit last year but it was because I pulled my motor and before doing so I didnt put the window as up as it would go so water got through by the front drivers window lol
Old 05-18-2015, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Well, it looks that I may have waited too long. The front one did not come in and went on back order as well. Probably to go on the discontinued list too. Have not had a lot of luck trying to condition the seals so will have to look into either trying to make something myself or....I don't know what. I don't want to go through the hassle of messing with used ones from a junkyard or ebay. Hopefully someone comes out with a "fix" or an aftermarket company picks them up and starts making new and improved ones. What's sad is, I'm kinda waiting on fixing up the rest of the car. I don't want to sink a bunch of time, money and effort in a car that leaks and stinks after a big rain. May have to consider getting rid of it and getting a civic with a sunroof.
you could try this company www.metrommp.com they don't show anything for the del sol, but doesn't hurt to call them and ask what they would have that would work for you.

in case the url doesn't work.. it's metrommp.com also.. Metro Moulded Parts Inc.800-878-2237
Old 05-18-2015, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, it looks like I may has spoke too soon. Go in to work this morning and the front seal did come in, sitting on my toolbox. I guess I got the last one?? Now for the rear one. Ordered one from Majestic Honda, thanks JarvisW, haven't heard one way or the other yet. I'll give it a day or so.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:19 PM
Sol to Sol

Nice! Goodluck!
Old 05-18-2015, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does anyone have a detailed(with lots of pictures)procedure for adding washers to the top to create a tighter seal?
Old 05-18-2015, 05:23 PM
Sol to Sol

Try to wait and see if the new seals do the job. Also get some certified honda seal treatment and use that several times on the side ones, if you don't get new ones.

Really, the front one should fix it all, because like I said above, its a design flaw.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm happy you got the front one at least, hopefully you get the rear one as well. If I had all the money on the world I would spend it on fixing up old Sols to keep them for the future
Old 05-19-2015, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Does anyone have a detailed(with lots of pictures)procedure for adding washers to the top to create a tighter seal?
I can't find the pictures one I remember but

How To: Tighten the targa top to stop rattling

Tools you will need: A deep well 12mm socket and a 12mm open end wrench, ten washers 1/16th - 1/8 in thickness (less than $1.00)

1. REMOVE THE PLASTICS: First, you will need to remove some plastic from your interior & put your top inside your trunk to get it out of the way. The plastic that you will remove will be the sun visor assemblies, A pillar covers, dome light assembly, & roll bar interior plastic. To remove the interior pieces you will need to pry out the little circle behind the sun visor and remove the 4 screws, to remove the A pillar plastic you will need to get your fingers behind the plastic and pull with equally force / evenly on the plastic to unsnap the clips holding it securely to the pillar, to remove the dome light you will need to pry off the clear plastic then remove the screw underneath & then pry out the rest of the assembly, and finally to remove the upper roll bar plastic you will need to pry of this plastic in a similar manner as the A pillar plastic.

2. REMOVE THE BOLTS: You will see 3 bolts in each front corner holding the front roof pin receiver in place, and 1 bolt & 1 nut holding the rear roof pin receiver in place. I suggest that you remove one of these bolts (12mm) and take it down to your local hardware store to get washers that fit (1/1th-1/8th).. Carefully remove the bolts and place the washers between the roof pin receivers and the body of the car. Then replace the bolts and tighten securely. One washer per bolt is enough. We tried 2 and it seemed to help some, but the seals were mashed a little too far and water still seemed to get in.

3. TEST FIT: After all the washers have been put into place try a test fit. You may have to lightly press down on the top to twist the handle and lock the top down. Now with your proper fit of the top & it being satisfactory tightened to the car you can now put your top back in the trunk.

3. FINISHING UP: Replace the plastic on the interior of the of the Sol and enjoy a more water tight top. Don't forget a slightly tighter chassis when your top is in place.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:22 PM
Sol to Sol

Yes, its not that difficult to do, hardest part is you have to remove the interior trim.

BUT, I would not do it until you puff up the old gaskets and install the new one. Factory specs are there for a reason. Mainly, it will wear out the gaskets much sooner, so you don't want to ruin your brand new one if you can help it.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Post a thread when you place the seals I wanna see this ****! ahah
Old 05-19-2015, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dertyghettokid
Post a thread when you place the seals I wanna see this ****! ahah
Will do
Old 05-26-2015, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I got the front seal in my hand and was emailed today with tracking numbers for the rear seal. Looks like I'm going to be water proofing the Del Sol this weekend. I'll be sure to take lots of pictures.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've got the front seal coming but the rear seal is on back order. Probably won't see it either. The parts dept tells me that they are seeing more and more parts being obsolete earlier. Even some later model parts, even back to 2000 are gone.
This is why I am on a mission to scavenge good seals from any junkyard that gets a 95+ in. Parts for this car are getting harder and harder to find.

Quick Reply: Del Sol roof seals