Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

del sol b16 worth risking or go a different direction?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default del sol b16 worth risking or go a different direction?

As some may know i picked the 94 vtec sol up as a project and never have heard it run. After failing to find parts in town and the nearest place is 2hrs away for another sol... So my question is should i sell he b16 and trans and get a wrecked prelude and rio the h series out with all and get it in the sol or just risk the engine being bad on the b16? With the lude i can be sure the engine and trans are good and i can get a wrecked one cheap since i got dealer license the b16 needs the alt, dizzy, ecu and wiring harness to really be able to see if it starts so with the money and if i sell the engine i can pick up the donor lude or something else like a teg? Thanks guys
Old 12-12-2012, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: del sol b16 worth risking or go a different direction?

**** just put a couple gallons of premo in it make sure its full of oil and anti-freeze put a hot battery on it and turn the key
Old 12-12-2012, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cant. Its got cut harness with no injector plugs nor inectors and is missing the dizzy and other components as listed and its been torn open by the po and has new head gaskets and a water pump. Dont know if the head was machined or not so im scared if i drop the cash and its needing work then its gonna be wort than if i get a donor and get what i need n scrap the shell
Old 12-13-2012, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone?
Old 12-13-2012, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

IMO, I'd take the risk and go with the b16 since it's already in the car and what not.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I mgiht but even parts on the head are loose and not really on good... Kt scares me that they didnt do it riht
Old 12-13-2012, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It does have new oil and doesnt appear to leak but the head parts not on riht scare me... Id still need to get an engine harness and i have to drive 2hrs to get one along with all the other parts. If i ripped the engine and trans from the car it wouldnt be hard and i can sell them on clist and use the cash to get a donor car
Old 12-13-2012, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the b16
Old 12-13-2012, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

An h22 or a b18 isnt better than the b16? Its impossible to find the parts here but i have seen b18s in the junkyard and decent integras in the yards that i could use if i ever needed parts. Theres also been some ludes but never a b16...
Old 12-13-2012, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what the hell dude I would go with the H! If you have easy access to everything you need now and in the future then life will be a lot easier down the road and you know swaps can have some of the weirdest problems. Anyways that's just my 2¢, I have a b16a in my 92 eg and live in So Cal and parts aren't always that easy to come by.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea i really want to get it done before i move but im gonna mve to dallas so i could get the parts and get it running and take it down. Im gonna go into college down there for motors might be able to take it down to the school when i start and just see what happens but i think swapping is gonna be cheaper than working on all the parts needed for the b16. I still need headlights and some other stuff for the front conversion aswell so idk...
Old 12-14-2012, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump. could use a couple more opinions before i decide on what i wanna try thanks for a who have responded so far and rbanks for anyone who shall give their opinions
Old 12-14-2012, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Id definitely choose the b16.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Really b16 is this popular? Maybe i should look into a wrecked civic witha b16 and have it swapped in because itd be complete. I really dont trust the work on the b16 thats on here and is missing parts so would really rather have a running car to drop the engine n trans in. If i did go with an h22 would the motor mounts work off the ones on the b16 or would i habe to get conversion mounts?
Old 12-15-2012, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd go h22 all day n yes u will need new conversion mounts.......I u go will the stock b16 u will be doing 160 hp and with the h22 stock internals with jus bolt ons u can hit 210 hp mark

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
Old 12-15-2012, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I haven't really been working on cars long and even less on Honda's but coming from a better-safe-than-sorry point of view it sounds like the H is going to be a safer route to go with. I think many are saying the B-series since it's going to be a lighter motor for the car and in addition to it already being in there. From the looks of it many aren't reading that the motor looks like it wasn't done right and it's hard getting parts for. For me in my opinion I would do the H-series especially if you know it's running or at least was before the wreck or etc.

It'll be a stretch since you'll have to have to get mounts and what not and possibly have to do some improv wiring to get the cluster and etc working properly but it would make more sense to go with the motor that is together correctly and not just a thrown together motor, which is what the b16 sounds like. Besides that might be able to make a bit of money back by selling parts off the 'lude.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea thats what i was thinking aswell. I can sell the b16 and trans for hopefully $500 and then get a wrecked ludr for maybe 4-700 and gut it and scrap the shell for $150-200 and sell the interior and everything and i dont know if id keep my cluster or just swap harnesses and all into it including the cluster but the rest just hack at the harness to get the tail loghts and everything else working. Taking a risk on this poorly assembled b16 just sounds like a 20-80 chance that it will be built correctly and not caue problems from the po
Old 12-15-2012, 04:25 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I think you kinda answered your own question in the very first post.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea i guess but now heres another question think i can get $500 from both the ttans and engine? The trans is good and shifts in all gears good. The engine id be selling with the trans and would syate thats its had work but have never started it so its possible it needs work. Its got new head gaskets and new water pump
Old 12-15-2012, 05:15 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it was my car, I'd hold onto the transmission, and run an H2B swap, especially since you say it shifts smooth.

Didn't you say your harness was hacked to ****, though?
Old 12-15-2012, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The harness for sols is 3 piece and the one that goes to the engine and trans is the bad one. The headlight harness was replaced by me and i have a spare firewall harness that i bought off of a dude on here great guy. I would need another engine part of the harness and would have to drive 2 hrs or get someone to pick one up and send me it or buy one from ebay
Old 12-15-2012, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

you can use a 92-95 civic harness, if you get one from an ex or si only thing you would need to add is the knock sensor wires which you don't need to make run, you can also use the civic injectors
Old 12-15-2012, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pretty sure they dont fit. Ive looked in the yards and they are different. N yea the inspectors are the same for the d series or b series doesn't matter. I guess the Po wanted to put bigger ones because they are missing and so are the plugs on the harness
Old 12-16-2012, 12:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You can use the EG harness. Make sure you get a EX one.. Should be able to be had for right around 100. or less. Have you researched doing a H swap? Its not a drop in affair. I hate b16's but id keep it. Get it fixed up right and see if it runs.. Or if your that worried about the motor pick up a B18, and bolt it to the b16 tranny. I wouldnt get rid of that trans no matter what you do though, either h2b or b18 with the b16 trans.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok yea i know its not a direct bolt on swap for h series and yea i also considered a integra conversion. Jist gotta see what pops up at the auctions. So the b16 trans is the best trans for this era? Also it has the front clip cobversion off a 2000 civic so if i got a teg do yall preffer the teg front end or the civic one? Saw a teg front end on a sol and it looked decent and so does the civic one but i need to put in another radiator core support anyways. the fenders are good and so is the hood on mine

Quick Reply: del sol b16 worth risking or go a different direction?