Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

del sol ashtray door not closing! i have pictures this time...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 01:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default del sol ashtray door not closing! i have pictures this time...

i posted this up before, but now i have digital pictures now! so the problem is i bought a new center console for the specific reason that my ashtray door would close now, but when i installed the console, i had the same problem. the door will not close! and im thinking it has something to do with the ebrake assembly because the door hits it.

here's a shot of my ashtray opening with the ebrake boot pulled up. does anything here look unusual?

here's what the door looks like when i try to put it in the opening:
it will not go down all the way.

the door will onlly go down when the door is in the "open" position:

here's a series of shots of me closing the door:

any help would be appreciated? if you need more angles i can take some, but i only have the camera for a week, hehe.
Old 11-10-2003, 01:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you bend that part that is bolted to the floor? I guess it would be the base of the ebrake down there.
Old 11-10-2003, 02:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mycivicstoo(s)low)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mycivicstoo(s)low &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can you bend that part that is bolted to the floor? I guess it would be the base of the ebrake down there.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i tried unbolting it hoping there would be another hole i could bolt it down to, thus shifting the ebrake over a bit, but there wasnt. and i cant bend that, its like 1/2 in thick.
Old 11-10-2003, 02:18 AM

Default Re: (Jedi_Sol)

Could you take a pic from the back seat straight down the middle of the ebrake area?
Old 11-10-2003, 02:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i hope this helps:

closeup:
Old 11-10-2003, 03:01 AM

Man, I just don't know. You say it's done this with both center console thingies? The bracket's gotta be bent or something. You sure there's no way you could bend it if you grip it the base with some vise grips or something?
Old 11-10-2003, 03:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes it did it with both center consoles. the only solutoin that i could picture is unbolt the ebrake base....drill another hole a half inch to teh right, so teh ebrake well be more straight, instead of slanted to teh right. then just bolt it back in. because im thinking that my ebrake is slanted too far to the right for some reason. is your's slanted like that?

which part are you asking me to bend (or is bent)? that brownish bar on the bottom? could you point it out in one of my pictures?

thanx.
Old 11-10-2003, 03:13 AM

Well, I have a Civic coupe, so mine is pretty much straight, whereas yours is supposed to be at an angle. It just seems to me there can't be any explanation other than something being bent. I'll show you in one of your pics, just gotta draw some arrows real quick.
Old 11-10-2003, 03:21 AM

Okay, here is my first idea: If you could twist it just a little from the base, it might get out of the way. Obviously you would want to be careful while doing this so as not to mess it up worse. I have one more idea, I'll make another crappy pic.
Old 11-10-2003, 03:31 AM

And here is what I would try if it was my car:
Remove the console thing.
Gently try to hammer the ebrake bracket a few millimeters to the right.
Maybe a rubber mallet would help or a small piece of wood between the hammer and the piece.

And I'm all out of (bad) ideas. You could go to a junkyard and try to find the bracket. It probably would be inexpensive, so if that's not the problem, it's no big loss.
Old 11-10-2003, 03:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow thats a great hammer i could never draw that detailed with MS paint. anyways, thanx for all of your help! gonna go to the junkyard tomorrow to see if they have any brackets.

pic request: could any del sol peepers take a picture of their ebrake areas? so i could compare mine and yours?

thanx!
Old 11-10-2003, 04:06 AM

Don't hate on the hammer! That's my mad Photoshop skillz, y0! I think it got the point across, although a new bracket is probably your best bet. Good luck.
Old 11-10-2003, 04:52 AM

i think...

the e-brake bracket is bent, possibly from someone pulling it too hard/in the wrong direction. if you look at it from directly behind the entire assembly (not from the top) from the rear area, the brake handle should have some angle to it, kind of like this
/
if, instead of pulling up at an angle, towards the passenger, it pulls up like this
|

then i could see that piece hitting the ashtray like that. idk though, i'll take a look at mine tomorrow morning.
Old 11-10-2003, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ha, i wasnt hating the hammer, i just used that hammer icon thing cuz it had a hammer in it.

thanx for your help!
Old 11-10-2003, 02:38 PM

I have the same problem with my sol. I have just learned to deal with it
Old 11-10-2003, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (mongrill)

****, not im really curious..... im goin to check mine out and be back in a little.....

Have a beer while u wait
Old 11-10-2003, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (dohcdelsol)

Went and checked it out, might have found your problem....

First, the E-brake is suppose to pull to the right. Weird but that's Honda's doing

Second, Dont remove and redrill any holes, you will just cause more of a problem.

Third, Your E-brake is over to the left way to far. The center consol is most deff shifted, or someone cranked it up straight and twisted something.

Fouth, No way in hell u are going to bent it so stop the huffing and puffing. If u bend it, you should be on WORLD'S STRONGEST MAN show. It's way to thick.

I would focus on seeing if the consol is moved or busted anywhere. That could be a problem. That little ****/nut your hitting is way to far over. Mine is like an inch away. Has this always been the problem??? You could **** around and try moving the E-brake but i wouldnt recommend it. Some plastic piece is cranked over or something. But the E-brake is to far to the left.

Does the lid to the ash tray close properly when the E-brake is down? If it does, then it's deff the E-brake out of place. Try dropping it slowly down and see if anything unusual moves. Ill try and take pictures of mine tomorrow and show u how far over to the right it should be.

Good luck with it
Old 11-10-2003, 04:25 PM

Default Re: (dohcdelsol)

i've figured it out! dohcdelsol is correct. someone yanked it too hard to the left/straight up and it is now twisted further left than it should be. it should normally point off to the right at a wierd, hard to pull angle. i would fix it by doing what the picture with the hammer says to do.
Old 11-10-2003, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ross1459)

or u could try to find a junked delsol and just replace the whole lever assembly
Old 11-10-2003, 04:55 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (dantastic)

You can probably adjust the ebrake cables in the back so that they pull the ebrake lever straight again. It almost looks like someone started to tighten the ebrake cables, finished one of them and then had to go take a **** and forgot to do the other side.

See if it works.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:59 PM

Default Re: (Archidictus)

I told you it looks twisted in the wrong way. I hope that's the problem, it should be easy to fix.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

k guys, took the console off and took some more pictures to see if that would shed any more light on the problem. oh yeah, ignore those washers under the bolts, it was just an idea that i had, but it didnt work

Im not sure the "twisting" idea would work because the ebrake is bolted town in two spots. And hammering it over would make the brake lean out towards the passenger side more, is that what you were going for?:

another angle:

at a closer inspection, i noticed this black sticker on the passenger side of the brake:

took it off and found another hole with threading in it, could it possibly be another place to bolt the ebrake down?:

so here's a high angle shot, any ideas on what to do now guys?

again, i REALLY appreciate all of your help!

if anybody could post pictures of their ebrake with the center console off, I would really appreciate that also.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:43 PM

C'mon, baby! Do the twist. Or the push. Or the hammer.
If pushing it toward the passenger seat ever so slightly would work, do it. Just push it over a little.
Old 11-11-2003, 01:19 AM

sorry, i do not own a del sol, nor do i know much about them except that my friend owns one, but i think that the other hole with the threads in it is probably for the JDM right-hand drive del sols.
Old 11-11-2003, 01:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93 EJ1)

haha thats what i figured 5min later.

for me

Quick Reply: del sol ashtray door not closing! i have pictures this time...