Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Defective ACT Pressure Plate?? Did I get a Lemon?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Defective ACT Pressure Plate?? Did I get a Lemon?

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=916532

Refer to this thread if you want a complete and full story on my problem. To make the story short. When motor is running, I could not get the shifter into any gear. When motor is off, the tranny shifts fine. Slave cylinder, clutch master cylinder, clutch fork, and clutch disc was fine.

Car is back up and running again!! Me and Rubin from Trizone Motorsports took apart the tranny again today to diagnose the problem more. Turns out the pressure plate took a **** on me along with the bad throwout bearing we discovered a few days prior. So we replaced everything with a new ACT HeavyDuty Pressure plate along with a new throwout bearing from ACT. I'll be sending the pressure plate back to ACT for further inspection. Hopefully I can receive a manufacture's warranty. Upon our own observation, the teeth on the pressure plate look mint, but do not flatten out when it is bolted and tightened down to the flywheel. If you notice the pics at the bottom...the teeth are angled upward, but are not suppose to be that way once bolted up to the flywheel. The pressure plate also rattles when we shake it, which is not a good sign. The pictures of the throwout bearing speaks for itself. The ACT street disc was in "EXCELLENT" condition and is being reused. Hopefully ACT will handle this matter well. I have never heard of an ACT clutch taking a **** before..so this totally surprises me..but I am also relieved that it is not something worst, like my tranny for instance. The clutch is only a year old with 20k-30k miles at most. I have only ran an intake and exhaust for the duration of the clutch's life. To be honest, I do not race very often, and my driving is not very aggressive, when it comes to shifting. I really do think that I recieved a lemon.

BTW..I refilled the tranny with GM Friction Modified Synchromesh..and its true...the tranny shifts like a knife cutting through warm butter!! I was also told that it gets even better after awhile

Here are the pics of the devastation:

Hrmm....this can't be good....

Visually the pressure plate looks great

Stupid Pressure Plate!!!!!

Has anyone ever experienced a bad clutch from ACT before? If so..was it taken cared of by them? I just feel that my clutch **** on me too prematurely.

Thanks!,
Khoi
Old 07-23-2004, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Defective ACT Pressure Plate?? Did I get a Lemon? (Sohc Driver)

i have an ACT and it been a champ. i just did a motor build and put that GM syncro friction mod. in my tranny as well. i only drivin like 350miles with it and it doesnt feel very differnt yet, hopefully it willsoon!
Old 07-23-2004, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Defective ACT Pressure Plate?? Did I get a Lemon? (ls95hatch)

what i would do is contact ACT and ask if this is a known issue that has came up before, explain to them that you were inconvienced and that you had to replace it and see if they will take care of you with a new one or reimburst you for the new unit. hope they have some good coustmer support. good luck
Old 07-24-2004, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Defective ACT Pressure Plate?? Did I get a Lemon? (Donkey85)

bump
Old 07-24-2004, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ttt
Old 07-25-2004, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 07-25-2004, 09:49 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you even contacted act yet ?
Old 07-25-2004, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Defective ACT Pressure Plate?? Did I get a Lemon? (DewMota)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DewMota &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">have you even contacted act yet ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes..I am sending the pressure plate in to them for inspection. I just don't know how good they are when it comes to situations like this. That is why I am asking for experiences.

Khoi
Old 07-26-2004, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ACT suks. I will never buy from them again. I had a similar problem. Put in a different clutch/pp no more problem. I sent it in for inspection. ACT: " There is nothing wrong" Installation error or defective slave cylinder. They won't give the shop credit or replace. They can stick their sorry *** stuff up their ***"