Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Deck height differences and timing belt questions..

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deck height differences and timing belt questions..

ok so heres my problem.... ive done a z6 head, y8 block mini me swap however when using the z6 timing belt on the combo of the two its not exactly the tightest. it keeps time perfectly fine however i dont really like the idea of messing with a loose timing belt. to correct this ive bought a y8 cam gear (which is schedualed for install tomorrow) to replace the stock z6 gear, but today i was under the hood of the car and discovered a worn divit that runs the length of the belt. knowing better than to reuse it, im going to buy a new one but i need to know whether i should get a z6 or y8 belt due to deck height differences... keep in mind that i would be using a y8 block, y8 water pump, y8 cam gear, but z6 head
Old 05-17-2006, 04:04 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: Deck height differences and timing belt questions.. (Cblman87)

Y8 and Z6 belts are both the same length, 104 teeth. If the belt is REALLY loose you could try a D15Z1 (92-95) VX belt which is 103 teeth. Personally, i'd recommend just getting the Y8/Z6 belt and using the cam gear to properly time the motor.
Old 05-17-2006, 04:06 PM

sounds good man, thanks for the quick fix!
Old 05-17-2006, 04:07 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Deck height differences and timing belt questions.. (BauleyCivic)

I guess I'll see how it looks tomorrow after we slap the new one on there. Hopefully the diameter of the cam gear is different enough that it takes the slack to what I would view as an acceptable level.

We'll see. Thanks Dustin.
Old 05-17-2006, 04:09 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: Deck height differences and timing belt questions.. (Archidictus)

Well what you're doing is timing the motor correctly so that the tensioner side takes more of the slack out of the belt...
Old 05-17-2006, 04:24 PM
Unceasing Measure

Default Re: Deck height differences and timing belt questions.. (BauleyCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well what you're doing is timing the motor correctly so that the tensioner side takes more of the slack out of the belt...</TD></TR></TABLE>

The timing is fine as it is: the car goes like **** aflame, but the belt has an odd bow to it when you get on the throttle. It hasn't skipped and it probably won't, but the tensioner's maxed out and I've been told that the Y8 cam gear has a larger diameter than the Z6 cam gear.

The slack isn't horrible, it's just enough that I want it to be better . I'm hoping a little more circumference in the cam arc will do the trick. If not, we'll have to see about a VX belt and whatnot.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:41 PM

yea it runs like **** aflame but after constant driving of about anwhere from an hour to two hours it starts to hesitate and buck realllly bad.. idk if its the ignition system or what but i got no codes to work from!
Old 05-18-2006, 07:48 AM

anyone got any solutions to my hesitation problem?
Old 05-18-2006, 09:03 AM
I forgot more about hondas then you will ever know....

Location: hop,skip, and a jump from the city,, new friggin york, USA
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Cblman87)

manually tension the motor, do not rely on just the spring to take out the slack. i have to do this on my motor because i have a thinner head gasket.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:02 PM
Unceasing Measure

Default Re: (Rodney)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rodney &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">manually tension the motor, do not rely on just the spring to take out the slack. i have to do this on my motor because i have a thinner head gasket.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm the one who put the timing belt on the first time - and the second time - and I always manually tension the motor before allowing the spring to do its thing . It's very good advice, but I would expect nothing less from you

So we got the new cam gear on it today, with a new OEM Honda Z6 belt, and the tension is no better. I'm thinking the VX belt is going to be the best bet for making this thing tight to my specifications. I just physically cannot get the engine to take out enough slack on its own - and yes I'm using a new tensioner and yes I'm rotating it several times before locking the tensioner into place

I dunno. This has me irritated
Old 05-19-2006, 03:23 AM
I forgot more about hondas then you will ever know....

Location: hop,skip, and a jump from the city,, new friggin york, USA
Default Re: (Archidictus)

i am not sure you understand what i am talking about. manually (with a screwdriver,prybar, even a coathanger...) put additional pressure on the tensioner. depending on how much it needs, you may have to remove the spring entirely, as it will just fall off into the timing cover. i have a pic i took for RJ when my motor was apart a while ago lemme find it.

there are a few ways, but i prefer the first.

Edit* found pic
Old 05-19-2006, 05:57 AM

Default Re: (Rodney)

So was the Y8 gear actually larger than the Z6 gear? From everything I've ever seen, they are exactly the same size, just different keying - keep in mind there is a timing difference (half a tooth, 4.75 DEG) between the Y8 and Z6 gear.

Since you are using the Z6 head, the most correct gear to use would be the Z6 gear not the Y8 gear (cam timing - Z6 cam, Z6 gear).

If you get a chance, would you mind measuring the idler pulley diameter and possibly the crank to cam centerline? I hope to put this information together here

Have either the head or block been milled? That could make a small difference, but I wouldn't expect it to be much. The deck heights are the same for the Z6 and Y8.