Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

The dealership tried to bend me over....

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The dealership tried to bend me over....

So like i said a couple days ago, i was thinking about buying a front lip for my 99 civic for about $168 which was already painted to match my car. Anyways, i go to pick it up today and they said that since its in their warehouse, it'll take them until monday to get it here. I'm like fine, put it on hold and then went to see the people at the service department.

I was thinking, man, $168 is not bad at all, maybe this dealership is not that bad after all. Since my car is about 600 miles from the 60k service, i'm like, lets ask how much it would cost. Get ready for this, $500. That's to inspect, change the oil, drain the transmission, air filter and all that other stuff. This does not include changing the timing belt. Since i have heard horror stories of not replacing timing belts on time, i decided to price that out also. And what they said completely gave me a heartattack. $1200 to changing the god damn timing belt. WTF. I don't know about you, but the max i've heard on this forum is $200 labor and $60-70 for the timing belt. After hearing their quotes, i walked away and said let me think about it. I tried calling other honda dealership and they gave me the same quote. Now i'm contemplating whether to give my car to a local shop to have the timing belt replaced or wait for a couple of paychecks....
Old 06-09-2006, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The dealership tried to bend me over.... (ludakrishna420)

its a stealership. I went to pick up some clips for the front bumper they want like $9 a clip.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:37 AM

Default Re: (justchilling)

I knew that the dealerships overcharge, but i didn't know that this one would be so bad. When i lived in temecula, the dealeship had a $300 60k service and a $500 change the timing belt. Now that i have moved here, i thought that it would be similar. And as for $5 a washer. DAMN.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to acura to buy some valve cover studs and they were $9 a pop. Some of these parts and services are just ridiculous.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ludakrishna420)

Yah the dealer blows! Thats why i just ordered a helms service manual for 1cent off ebay and i'm going to change the T-belt myself in about a week I don't trust shops anymore from being screwed over 1 too many times, plus i'm a perfectionist and would rather just do it myself to keep some other shmo from playing in my engine bay.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:47 PM

Default Re: (n00bcivicowner)

Man that is high.

I paid like $589 and change to have my water pump, timing belt, all drive belts, cam and crank seals changed, valves adjusted, oil changed, and the drivers side motor mount replaced at my local dealer here in CA.

They even did a few recall items like emissions and floormats

The dealer was Crown Motors in Redding.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:54 PM

Default Re: (packthis)

Crown motor are ver respectable in my book. My company actually work with taht dealership so its great. Anyways, EVERYONE and they MAMA should know dealership ripp people the *** off. This guy at my work got a quote for 900 for a clutch replacement. I told him to give it to my old man since he owns a shop. and my old man only charged him 400! LABOR and PARTS.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:51 PM

Default Re: (JDM B16A)

My buddy bought a shell and then bought a d15b and he needed all the motor and tranny mount bolts....the stealership charged him $98 for bolts, washers and nuts. And the acura stealer charged me $96 for new rod bearings
Old 06-09-2006, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (WillieB)

her's a good one for ya, the rear lca bolts, the local stealership wanted 10-15 a piece!!!! Luckily I went to honda auomotive parts and printed out there prices and they matched it....saved almost 5 bucks a bolt. IMO most stealerships are almost as bad as scammers
Old 06-09-2006, 02:36 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

500 to change a timing belt is ridiculous to me
because i've done it & it wasnt even that hard

lining it up tdc is a lil bit of a challenge
but not 500 dollars worth
Old 06-09-2006, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tha_badguy)

duh..i work at acura in seatte..its kinda fun when kids walk in there tryin to get something and the price is jus nutts.. and the kids jus flips out.hahah..umm you can jus walk back there and ask one of the mechanic to work on it on his off time..i pay his dude 200 buck to put a tranny on...i saved 1000bucks..woot ..a friend of mine got his 60k done for 100 bucks....
Old 06-09-2006, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The dealership tried to bend me over.... (ludakrishna420)

I am a service writer at a dealership. And I will be the first to admit we are expensive. 30k service....549.99. timing belt on a 4 cyl is 399.99. i work at a mazda dealership. the parts mark up is 225% on most non discounted customer parts purchases. thats right they pay 50 dollars they charge you 120.00. here is some advise though. and i speak from experiance. the only reason to do all of your maintenance at the dealer ship is if you car is in warranty. if you have a car in warranty and do all the maintenance. especially the big ones like 30k's. if you need an after warranty repair that is rather large. like a transmission for example. the dealer ship is very forgiving and might offer to pay for the part if you pick up the labor. things like that are what we call "goodwill". but if you car is out of warranty do your self a favor and take it somewhere else. just not jiffy lub or valvoline or something like that. take it to a reputable shop or do it your self. i have had to tell more customers "sorrry i cant cover that engine, the place that did your last oil change double gasketed the oil filter" or i cant give you a new splash sheild, your oil hasnt been changed her for a while. the last person who did you oil change must have broken it"
Old 06-09-2006, 03:26 PM

Default Re: (tha_badguy)

bro, i think you misread it. THey want $1200 to change the timing belt. $500 is just to do a 60k service. Anyways, i found a dealer 1:30 hours away who charges $289 for a 60k service and i'll prolly just go to him.

I noticed you mention that changing the timing belt is not that tough. On a scale of 1-10, what would you rate it. I can change my oil, and have personally insalled an air intake, aftermarket horn. I know these are not major things, but do you think that after doing this, i have the ability to change my timing belt. I've heard other threads on this website say that it is left to the professionals where some say that it is doable on a free day. Oh, yeah, i do have a helms manual. ALso, is it necessary to have a power wrench to change the timing belt?
Old 06-10-2006, 08:49 PM

Default Re: (ludakrishna420)

luser norm reeves increased his prices to about what u are at right now he was always a rip off
Old 06-10-2006, 08:53 PM

Default Re: (justchilling)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by justchilling &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol you definately should not do it yourself. the main problem i think is the tools. the thing is if you like to work on cars or not. if you do, then buy the tools. i started as a noobie with a $20 tool set. i did the little **** like intake, header, exhuast, and more. the more i did, the more tools i needed. now everytime i do something, i need an extra tool. recently i did my suspension with LCA and lower tie bar and alot of other **** like removing the entire AC system. and common things like brake and stuff. you need to work on your car more to get experience. things like braking bolts loose, etc. i learn from experience you can use a small wratchet with a pipe, or spray that crap i dont know what its call, or use your feet or use a jack. right now i think ill be able to do timing belt but ill need a timing gun. now my tools total probably $500 and thats buying the least i can. oh yea only get craftsman</TD></TR></TABLE>

timing gun......u mean timing light?, bragging about 20 dollars worth of tools, and breaking boltss loose, ya i wouldnt trust u doing anything haha, timing belts do not require special tools, a timing light may help buyt is not reguired, use the stopck marks on the crank pulley, and cam gears to line up right on and ull get it make sure u dont jump any teeth its easy used to do it at kia all the time hehe
Old 06-10-2006, 11:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Your mommas bed, that might be true too ..., So Cali, USA
Default Re: (civicfast)

The old dude thats a mechanic who lives down the street from me is gonna change my camshaft and do my timing belt for 120
Old 06-11-2006, 12:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Evolution-93-Ex)

everyone should know by no, the dealership always charge an arn and leg for parts and labor. im happy i got a hook up on honda parts and i do everything myself. im sure you can find someone to do it at a fair price. but cheap isnt always the best. the dealers always gaurantee their work.