Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

DEAD CIVIC...NEED HELP WHERE TO START!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DEAD CIVIC...NEED HELP WHERE TO START! **PICTURES**

I have a "Dead" civic B16a turbo hatch that hasn't worked since my brother got it from hawaii. I thought it was the Starter or Alternator because i was able to push start it a few times but it dies on the road randomly, so i replaced both starter and alternator. When i turn the key, i get nothing not even clicks! I'm lost to what it is. My last guess would be the Distributor. But if that dosn't work, then i'm totally lost. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT IT MIGHT BE????? I'm really depressed because i can't even get this sweet car to turn on. The fact that its turbo makes it harder for me to distinguish the prob. Someone throw me some Ideas of what it would be. Here are a few pics of the "project" car.

http://jdmcity.com/upload/civicEG.jpg

http://jdmcity.com/upload/CivicFront.jpg

http://jdmcity.com/upload/enginework.jpg

Modified by Noch at 10:52 PM 4/16/2004
Old 04-04-2004, 05:23 PM

Default Re: DEAD CIVIC...NEED HELP WHERE TO START! (Noch)

I've never dealt with ignition stuff, but if you take the distributor off can't you check for dead spots on the coil or something? I have no clue, just thought I'd throw that out and try to incite somebody into confirming that or setting me strait.
Old 04-04-2004, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, hopefully someone can confirm that.
Old 04-04-2004, 05:37 PM

Default Re: (Noch)

You can open the distributor up, disconnect the coil connectors and use a digital multimeter (ohmmeter) to check the distributor coil. Here are the specifications according to my Haynes manual-
Civic with Hitachi distributor
Primary resistance .45 to .55 ohms
Secondary resistance 22.4 to 33.6 k ohms
All other distributors
Primary resistance .6 to .8 ohms
Secondary resistance 12.8 to 19.2 k ohms
Old 04-05-2004, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What if its NOT the distributor?? i don't want to replace it if i don't have to.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:44 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It actually sounds like the battery is dead. I hate to sound like a smartass, but you should check the connections at the terminals for excessive corrosion and/or tight fitment. If there's no clicking when you turn the key, it usually suggests either a stone-dead battery or a bad starter crank solenoid (which you can't get seperate from a whole new starter, unfortunately).

Do your dash lights come on when the key's in the auxilliary position? Does the radio work? Get back to us ASAP so we can help you some more .
Old 04-05-2004, 09:58 AM

Default Re: (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It actually sounds like the battery is dead. I hate to sound like a smartass, but you should check the connections at the terminals for excessive corrosion and/or tight fitment. If there's no clicking when you turn the key, it usually suggests either a stone-dead battery or a bad starter crank solenoid (which you can't get seperate from a whole new starter, unfortunately).

Do your dash lights come on when the key's in the auxilliary position? Does the radio work? Get back to us ASAP so we can help you some more .</TD></TR></TABLE>

My hunch is if it's not the battery it's between the starter (power connection) and the ignition (where the key goes). If it's not clicking then the starter isn't getting a signal. Also check your grounds, poor ground can cause problems too.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:03 AM

Check the main relay also. Turn the lights on to see if the battery has power, if it does, then turn the key. If the main relay doesn't click then it could be bad. It's located under the dash near the fuse box, you should be able to listen when you turn the key. It should click once with the key in the "on" position, and again when you turn the key to "start".
Old 04-05-2004, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay sorry to mention, the radio/cd player, lights etc. works. Also i just replaced the starter/alt. w/ ones that i know works, so hopefully it's not the starter or alt.(the guy said it was a type R starter and it would work fine...correct me if thats not true)
Old 04-05-2004, 10:22 AM

If the alt was bad the battery might not have enough voltage to crank. Try to rule that out first - voltage test, try a good battery. charge the battery.
Old 04-05-2004, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well i got both the starter and alt. checked at Autozone and they said both were good...also the lights, audio, etc. work so i'd assume the battery is good right? I really want to just get the car to Run!! (soo depressed) Thanks for all you guys' help so far. Any other advice??
Old 04-05-2004, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump because i really need to get my civic running!
Old 04-05-2004, 07:22 PM
TSPeed Factory

check the spade connector that goes into the starter. sometimes that can come loose and your starter wont work. while you're at it check all your grounds.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:07 PM

Default Re: (AzntaggeR)

Pull your steering consle apart and check for voltage at the ignition. It sounds as though you may have a bad ignition (key). If you have voltage there it's got to be a fuse.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (b16ahybrid)

i am not sure if i read it wrong but if its your battery once the car is running it shouldnt die on you. i think you wrote that once its running it randimly dies. a battery wouldnt do that it would just wont turn over but you said it doesnt crank when this happens, well if you elimanated the starter and battery, check ignition switch. just an idea, maybe that will help you out
Old 04-05-2004, 11:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the tips guys....hopefully it'll be somthing that someone brought up...so i guess so far looks like i'm gonna check out the ignition switch and the main relay if the distributor dosn't work...hopefully one of those will be the main prob. Thanks for the help. I'll keep you guys posted on what happens...and if theres anything else that you guys think it might be then just Shoot....i ain't got much to lose and i really need this bad boy running.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update:....well the dang car is still not WORKING!!! I need somone to give me more advise...also i tried checking the cel code but somehow it dosen't work for me. Not even sure if i'm doing it right anyone have any pictures that would help me in this?? i've searched but didn't find too much PLEASE HELP H-T!
Old 04-08-2004, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no help tonight?
Old 04-08-2004, 10:29 PM

it sounds to me like you have a bad ignition(key)....check for the voltage and what not, if its not that then check your distributor coils...im probly not much of a help, only a newb....lol..
Old 04-09-2004, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks...up for any other help....need it running by this weekend...
Old 04-10-2004, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump this for me
Old 04-14-2004, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Civic still not running...anymore Ideas HT?
Old 04-14-2004, 03:54 PM

so your car can jump start, you drive it for a while and it randomly dies? If the brushes on your alternator are worn out, the car is basically relying on the battery. you may have mentioned the alt already but i have had this happen to 2 cars before. If you run the car turn your lights on/stereo anything electric. When the car dies does everything start to dim? if so the brushes are the problem and easy to fix
Old 04-16-2004, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks i'll look into that also
Old 04-16-2004, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

since its not carnking you cant check spark or anything im assuming its something in the starting circuit. try pop starting it. just in case you dont know how to just turn the key to on and put the car in second gear. push the car and when you're rolling good let out the clutch and give it gas. good luck

Quick Reply: DEAD CIVIC...NEED HELP WHERE TO START!