Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

DAY 1: 1st Swap Horror Story

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DAY 1: 1st Swap Horror Story

Hey guys well I started my swap today at 7 AM Est.
and by about 5pm I stopped and i only managed to pull the
old engine out. I did end up breaking a few bolts and fingers.
I did not have an engine hoist nor did I have power tools. I printed
out the guides, tutorials, pictures, etc. basically everything i could find online
hear at H-T. Well I ended up with a few bad problems.

1. Still cannot get drivers side axel nut off. (broke phllips in the gap trying to gap out locknut... I think im screwed)

2. I broke the passenger side lower ball joint. (broke right off with nut. still cannot seperate it from LCA. Is this very hard to change?)

3. Broke top radiator mount bolt ( but i think i can drill this one out )

I think thats the main problems but all in all the engine is out of the vehicle.
Now i just have to assemble my tranny to the engine and drop everything back in after fixing all of these little problems. Boy am I feeling discouraged and over my head.

should I put engine in without trans or is it better to put both in together at the same time. I will be dragging engine under vehicle and dropping body on motor.
anyone have any tips or suggestions on correcting my problems? Should i keep going or give up and pay someone to do it. I really would like to finish it all up myself but i really need my vehicle back soon to get to work.

Anyone know how to verify that the clutch is in correctly?
( i did use the alignment tool )

I have a lot of work left plus problems to fix that I encountered...

Anyone have ideas???

FYI: I am swapping a b18b1 into a 95 coupe dx...

-> IM OFF TO READ MORE INFO FROM THE ARCHIVE....
Old 11-20-2005, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DAY 1: 1st Swap Horror Story (fasterthenmost)

lower ball joints are very easy to replace and cheap i cant remember well how i did it i remember i ripped the boot it has and took off the rings it has and hammer it out its simple many write ups on this been coverd many time use the search

as for dropping int the motor i whould get a engine hoist if u are on ur own
Old 11-20-2005, 05:37 PM

Default Re: DAY 1: 1st Swap Horror Story (dcsports)

You'll need 2 floor jacks and 2 blocks of wood. Put a peice of wood on top of each jack. Put the FULLY ASSEMBLED tranny/motor onto the floor jacks (one jack under tranny, one jack under the motor....try not to bend the oil pan).

This is NOT a safe way to put the motor in, and it is DAMN hard to get everythign lined up without a hoise to pull from the top while you drop the frame down over it. It can be done, but I STRONLGY suggest you use an engine hoist to pull it up through teh bottom of the car.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:42 PM

thanks for all the info guys...
Im going to see if I can rent a hoist cause
it might just be easier on me. Well i have some cleanup work and some minor repairs to do and bugz to work out before I drop the new engine in so hopefully i find a hoist in time.

Keep the Ideas coming....
Old 11-20-2005, 05:50 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (fasterthenmost)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fasterthenmost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Keep the Ideas coming....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Keep going until you finish. The measure of a man is how he stands against adversity .
Old 11-20-2005, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Archidictus)

^^^ very true, i ran into a few issues when pulling my motor, but now i know exactly how everything works, and whatmight give me an issue later
Old 11-20-2005, 06:32 PM

cool swap man
Old 11-20-2005, 06:34 PM

Default Re: DAY 1: 1st Swap Horror Story (sanluisLS)

i think everyone's first swap is a horror story in one way or another... well... at least mine was...
Old 11-20-2005, 06:46 PM

Default Re: DAY 1: 1st Swap Horror Story (bogus_ek)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bogus_ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think everyone's first swap is a horror story in one way or another... well... at least mine was... </TD></TR></TABLE>

My turbo install sure as hell was. BOV didn't work, broke a bolt on my fuel return and had my #3 injector leaking like you wouldn't believe. My car was leaking oil and my downpipe was held together with jbweld and screws. The DP sat so low that it was scraping the ground and got a hole in it within a day, and then it pretty much fell apart so I used more screws.

I put a few hours into it everyday after work and found out that my shitbus of major problems were only a few minor problems that were easily fixed with a little bit of time.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can finish it. If you get discouraged, just think about everyone on here that has fucked up the first time. There are alot of them. You're not the first ,nor the last. Keep at it and you'll do it. Then you can say that You have done a swap, by yourself.

I say "Them" because I've never done a swap myself. I hope too someday.

Good luck.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ohwell
Old 11-20-2005, 07:27 PM

Default Re: (lazybrown187)

Dammm We did a swap on friday,,,, pretty direct B into a civic,, took 2:20 out the door

I guess after like 50 swaps they get easy!!!
Old 11-20-2005, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lazybrown187)

for number 1 : you need BIG tools... and HEAT !!! (dont to much) but varming it up good and having a big *** wrench kinda ting (over a meter) and the right top will get the job done

for number2: if it really didi break of it is only held by ****.. try hitting a few hard times on the lower control arm...
Old 11-21-2005, 06:12 AM

Default Re: (Zeus Zore)

Thanks for everyone kind words and tips...

I am going to finish this swap no matter how long it takes!!!

I am happy that I got the engine out, and I should be proud of myself.
I am going to keep working at it, and hopefully get it all running.

Pic sux, took it with my camera phone.
Will update thread with good pics, later after work.

Thanks H-T!
Old 11-21-2005, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a stuck axel nut. I had to beat the living crap out of it with a chisel and mini sledge. It looked like I was gona tear the nut in half which would have been fine too. Just take a large flat chisel and place it paralle, and a few milimeters back from a top edge and beat it in the proper direction. If you go down this road you maybe locked in as the nut may get too distorted to get a socket back on it. This method definetly works when all else fails ( heat or huge breaker bar like 4 ft.)

Sometimes you can hammer in a ball joint seperator and then turn the nut or put the tire on and lower the vehical and then try turning the nut, this may not work well with out the weight of the engine.

If you got the engine out you will be able to put it back just take your time and don't get frustrated. If you get tired take a break this is when mistakes happen. You will gain knowledge and that is key. Good luck.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Keep going until you finish. The measure of a man is how he stands against adversity .</TD></TR></TABLE>

What if he's really short?
Old 11-21-2005, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (splitime)

^hahahaha

but seriously good luck with the project man
Old 11-21-2005, 07:28 AM

my swap wasn't so good either, i did it in a un heated garage in the dead of quebec winter, the whole swap went just fine, but when i went to start it, it wouldn't. While trying to find the problem and trying to start it in -20c weather the battery died so it needed charging, after a few days of reading and trying different stuff, put the injectors from the old motor in and it started right up. This was almost a week after i put the engine in so i was crazy stoked on going for a drive. I put the car in gear and went to reverse, the car didn't move, the idiots at the engine shop put the worn friction disc with splines to big for the input shaft from the trans. i had to drop the trans and change the clutch. After all that the car runs great.
so good luck.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:45 AM

One thing I can ad to help is that HEAT is your best friend. Those ball joints come loose a lot easier if the area around them is warmed up with a torch. Don't warm the ball joint itself, just the area around it to expand the metal around the joints shaft. Good luck.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=fasterthenmost]Hey guys well I started my swap today at 7 AM Est.
a

1. Still cannot get drivers side axel nut off. (broke phllips in the gap trying to gap out locknut... I think im screwed)

/QUOTE]

Haha I did the same thing trying to get my drivers side axle nut off. I ended up getting a nice punch and just hammering the crap outta the nut until I could get the screw driver tip out.

Swaps can be a pain sometimes but once you have done it you have a little bit more respect for whats under the hood. but man I cant imagin doing this without an engine hoist. Props to ya .
Old 11-21-2005, 08:28 AM

Default Re: (Soccerking3000)

man i remember my first swap after a few you will know what everything is and all the little tricks to hondas' and what allways gives you issues. My favorite on my first swap was getting the expanding pin outa the shift linkage. "the bitch pin" as we call it. Good luck
Old 11-21-2005, 08:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: DAY 1: 1st Swap Horror Story (bogus_ek)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bogus_ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think everyone's first swap is a horror story in one way or another... well... at least mine was... </TD></TR></TABLE>

MIne went from a simple swap to a 500+hp build at about the half way point. I guess I got bored or felt like spending money or something.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:55 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fasterthenmost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for everyone kind words and tips...

I am going to finish this swap no matter how long it takes!!!

I am happy that I got the engine out, and I should be proud of myself.
I am going to keep working at it, and hopefully get it all running.
Thanks H-T!</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's easy for people to become discouraged on this site where it seems like 1 out of every 3 people is a master mechanic, but in the real world, the fact that you've successfully swapped an engine puts you into a very small percentile of the population.

You <u>should</u> be proud of yourself. This will be one of those memories you carry with yourself and tell to your kids when they turn 16.

Keep going . You're close
Old 11-21-2005, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

GL Man, my first engine swap is coming in the next month or so, share what you learn so other people (like me) can learn from it.. I know for mine the suspension and steering system wont be much of a problem because i had it down and out maybe a year and a half ago, so it shouldnt be to difficult for the bolt to break loose. However, the radiator? how'd that happen? just a locked bolt? Update what road blocks you meet on your trip to your swap bud, so i can take some notes =D

Old 11-21-2005, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: With my POS D15B2, Whereever whenever, United States
Default Re: DAY 1: 1st Swap Horror Story (Defile)

lol you're having problems because you don't have the right tools.
First time always takes time and patience.
You can't force ****, usually if it doesn't work you need the right tool to solve your problem.
be patient and take your time and don't half *** it because your b18 will be out before you know it if you half *** the install

Quick Reply: DAY 1: 1st Swap Horror Story