Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Damn this forum

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damn this forum

ok ive had my 2000 si since june, and been happy with it, wasnt going to do to much else with it, but since coming on this forum, i have been convicned to get a b18c motor. i thought i would of been happy with a turbo on my b16, but i guess not! sorry for the pointless thread, but i just thought i'd try
Old 10-29-2007, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Damn this forum (Frickr)

what's wrong with a turbo b16? it's not like that 10 extra foot pounds of torque 1700 rpm sooner is going to make you crap your pants when you lay into the throttle. if you're going to spend the money to get a GSR motor why not just by an LS bottom end and with the money you save from buying a GSR motor build the LS bottom end and turbo LS/VTEC.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Damn this forum (forcefedferio)

turbo B16
Old 10-29-2007, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn, why don't you cry about it. Just stay with the turbo B16, there's nothing wrong with it. Why'd you let people on this site talk you OUT of your B16 turbo, and into a new GSR motor? Is it too late already?
Old 10-29-2007, 09:05 PM

i just want to get around the 350-450 powerrange. but i want to be able to drive it daily. would a b16 hold up to that all day?
Old 10-29-2007, 09:07 PM

i think ill buy my friends 94 4 door, and do the ls in that.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Frickr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just want to get around the 350-450 powerrange. but i want to be able to drive it daily. would a b16 hold up to that all day?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wouldn't push it much over 300 on stock internals. Actually personally I wouldn't even push it to 300 on stock internals. Same goes for the GSR.

Though hey, do what you want with it, it's your car.

Usually when you're talking 350-450hp you're not talking stock internals.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Frickr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok ive had my 2000 si since june, and been happy with it, wasnt going to do to much else with it, but since coming on this forum, i have been convicned to get a b18c motor. i thought i would of been happy with a turbo on my b16, but i guess not! sorry for the pointless thread, but i just thought i'd try</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 10-29-2007, 09:20 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Frickr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just want to get around the 350-450 powerrange. but i want to be able to drive it daily. would a b16 hold up to that all day?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No it wont. Neither will a B18. Neither will an H22 for that matter.

You're looking to build the motor. Then you're looking to blow it up..over and over again. Till you get sick of it. lol sorry. But it's the truth.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Damn this forum (B serious)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
You're looking to build the motor. Then you're looking to blow it up..over and over again. Till you get sick of it. lol sorry. But it's the truth. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Tis the sad reality...spend tons of money to build a car for enjoyment and get to drive it even less....
Old 10-29-2007, 09:39 PM

i'd be going all fordged, but what block will be able to handle that horse
Old 10-29-2007, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So what you guys are saying that after you build a motor, it becomes extremely unreliable? You constantly blow it??...I've never heard that before.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Frickr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'd be going all fordged, but what block will be able to handle that horse</TD></TR></TABLE>

If it's all forged than you might as well seal up to new cylinder walls, bored and sleeved to match the new forged pistons/rods is your best bet.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my first step would be to get rid of the 18's
Old 10-29-2007, 09:49 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Frickr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'd be going all fordged, but what block will be able to handle that horse</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, all B series blocks are of the same construction pretty much.

Aluminum, open deck, lightweight. No reinforcements for turbo.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alacard &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So what you guys are saying that after you build a motor, it becomes extremely unreliable? You constantly blow it??...I've never heard that before.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You'll blow it up whether it's built or not.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Damn this forum (B serious)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well, all B series blocks are of the same construction pretty much.

Aluminum, open deck, lightweight. No reinforcements for turbo.

You'll blow it up whether it's built or not. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, that's a good point (well the first part is, the second part's bullshit).

You should put a block guard in there since it's open deck.

As for the "you'll blow it up whether it's built or not" statement, there's people around here making 400hp on built D series that they use as dailys without any problems.

It won't become unreliable if the sleeves are good, you get a good block guard, the pistons/rods can handle the power, and you get it tuned well.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Damn this forum (Syndacate)

A motor becoming unreliable depends on the measures taken to prevent it from being unreliable....

For example i will be upping the boost from 9psi to 15 psi from a T3/T4 turbo on a stock b16 bottom end come spring time so to help with detonation the car will be tuned and run on race gas, will it help? yes will it mean my motor is going to be safe? absolutely not.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alacard &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So what you guys are saying that after you build a motor, it becomes extremely unreliable? You constantly blow it??...I've never heard that before.</TD></TR></TABLE>

what you said was an exaggeration of what B Serious and I said....what we meant were more along the lines of don't expect to take a 500whp civic and daily drive it every single day and expect it to live a long glorious life.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:42 PM

Man, why would anyone created this thread? Buddy boosted his bone stock gsr and made somewhere around 340whp. Yep, didnt last too long. Around two-three months. So whats the point? Save your money and use a longer stroke block as well as good parts. If the rods and pistons can handle it, A stock gsr block, I've seen twice, go over 400hp. Yea, few trips down the track cracked a sleeve. No block gaurd used in the mix. But just saying that 300 to maybe 350, i would say you would be safe with a block guard, but be saving your lunch money because that day will come! Another argument that could be taking in to consideration, is that most, non-factory, turbos, aren't that reliable. Too many things that can go wrong and the edge of safeness is alot thinner than that or a nat. assp. motor or even a spray car(Being that youre not spraying 24/7; in most cases). Turbo cars are sweet but not know to last for a long time. And that urge is always going to be there, let's turn the boost up and see what we can do...
Old 10-29-2007, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This thread is dumb...

you must not of read anything since being on here.

ill say 99.9% of the people here that knows anything will say a b16 turbo is going to be a lot more fun then a b18c...thats not even a comparison.

ANY honda block can handle 350-400 hp with money...

I have a SOHC that can handle 600 hp.

you sir need to do more reading and quit posting pointless **** like this.

PS: oh ya your 18s you are "sitting" on is slowing the expletive out of your car
Old 10-29-2007, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Damn this forum (ITR_Sol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ITR_Sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Turbo cars are sweet but not know to last for a long time. </TD></TR></TABLE>

im not sure what kind of turbo you are using or who you are using to tune it but they do last a long time if you do it right the first time.

i have good bit of friends with turbo hondas raning from 300 hp to 420 hp daily driven and drag stripped twice a month and its been going on for years with the same set up...my friends 420 ls/vtec has been going on 4 1/2 years so far.

so i have no clue what you are doing...just cause your friends blew up their motor on crapy tunes or parts doesnt mean they dont last long.

oh and PS: Block guards are not good to the fact that they heat up the top of the cylinder
Old 10-30-2007, 01:57 AM

Default Re: Damn this forum (The Lobster)

Do agree with not using a block guard. Wasn't planning on using one on my b20 build but im not planning on pushing the limit to the extremes on stock sleeves either. Could not tell you what brand of sh*t they were using but I do remember it wasn't cheap ebay stuff. Just about all of them was either working at or got hook ups on parts from s local shop. One buddy had a daily driver H22 turbo @ 9psi and drove it for two years. Along with PS and AC in a 99 si. And then sold it running fine to a person from up north i believe. I wasn't basing my opinion on turbo cars because they "blew theirs up." Simply just tha fact that there is a hell of a lot more that can go wrong w them. It wasn't lame tuning that got my other buddy. It was simply the fact that all stock blocks can't hold 300+ hp! lol All of which, everyone one of them was tuned by a pretty decent tuner. He is one of the better tuners around my area(300mi rad) and has been tuning for atleast 5yrs now. Others can vouch. yea, theres nothing more fun than haulin *** in a turbo or spray car but, In reliability status, Its just not there.

But back to the topic, Yea, go with b16 turbo rather than gsr. Hell, you got the head, why would you waste the money goin w another short stroke b series? Like i sd b4, you'd have the head, and or a turbo kit to build a mean ls/b20 vtec turbo.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:47 AM

Default Re: (The Lobster)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The Lobster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This thread is dumb...

ill say 99.9% of the people here that knows anything will say a b16 turbo is going to be a lot more fun then a b18c...thats not even a comparison.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

why?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The Lobster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

im not sure what kind of turbo you are using or who you are using to tune it but they do last a long time if you do it right the first time.

i have good bit of friends with turbo hondas raning from 300 hp to 420 hp daily driven and drag stripped twice a month and its been going on for years with the same set up...my friends 420 ls/vtec has been going on 4 1/2 years so far.

so i have no clue what you are doing...just cause your friends blew up their motor on crapy tunes or parts doesnt mean they dont last long.

oh and PS: Block guards are not good to the fact that they heat up the top of the cylinder </TD></TR></TABLE>

that's not my definition of reliable. sorry.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just keep the b16. there is not a huge diference between the b16 and b18c. the b18c (if not followed by a number such as 1 or 5) is a jdm.....not a big deal. they are not that much better than usdm b18c1. pretty much just bragging rights. and the b18c maybe have a little more torque and hp numbers, but just boost the b16 and you will be above it. then the money you saved not buying the b18c, you can put cams, exhaust, boost controller, vafc, turbo timer, all that good **** and still come out ahead. you will be just as fast as a turbo b18c with proper tuning and some good mods. so dont listen to some of these itr obsessed dumbasses on h-t. your motor will be just as good. yeah i like itr motors but why swap something that runs fine and just as fast with about a 3000 dollar swap? so just do what you want....but if it was me, i would keep my motor and boost it.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:05 AM

Default Re: Damn this forum (slo_hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slo_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just keep the b16. there is not a huge diference between the b16 and b18c. the b18c (if not followed by a number such as 1 or 5) is a jdm.....not a big deal. they are not that much better than usdm b18c1. pretty much just bragging rights. and the b18c maybe have a little more torque and hp numbers, but just boost the b16 and you will be above it. then the money you saved not buying the b18c, you can put cams, exhaust, boost controller, vafc, turbo timer, all that good **** and still come out ahead. you will be just as fast as a turbo b18c with proper tuning and some good mods. so dont listen to some of these itr obsessed dumbasses on h-t. your motor will be just as good. yeah i like itr motors but why swap something that runs fine and just as fast with about a 3000 dollar swap? so just do what you want....but if it was me, i would keep my motor and boost it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Bragging rights? Well I dont think that turboing any of those motors is a good idea.

However, there's never any replacement for displacement if all else is the same.

It might not be worth the extra money...but there would definitely be a performance gain.

YOU WOULD USE A VAFC TO TUNE A TURBO'D SETUP?!!! that car would be ghetto as hell. It would run maybe 3 days out of the year...and would blow up on the end of the 3rd day. Instead, you could buy all the right tuning tools....spend a ton of money on tuning. Then it would run right maybe 7 days of the year...and blow up on the second year ...probably on the 14th day. That's wicked reliable.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Damn this forum (slo_hatch)

B Serious posts anti boost **** everytime I look in a thread, its out of control.

Why is a b16-t and a Gsr not a comparison?
Well.... the Turbo B16 is putting down around 250-300 hp while the gsr is putting like 170... the ~100 horsepower difference is going to feel HUGE.

Reliable huh?
If my engine was 420 hp and it stayed together for 4.5 years I would be more than happy, you gotta pay to play to have a fast car, thats how it works. Anyone that makes good power in any kind of car *might* have problems.

So... out of curiosity, Would you bash on a fully built 13 to 1 NA motor? There is a good chance something Could go wrong with it way down the road, even know it was tuned well and has race gas, would you bash it?

Op: do your b16-t

Quick Reply: Damn this forum