Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Daily Driver build ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daily Driver build ideas?

Hi, I'm new to forums. I've been following builds faqs and problem single solving theads on here for a very long time. So I've have decided I want to join the community because I am in the market to get me a civic.. I would like a ej8 but would settle for a ej1..but should I build up a d-series or just do a gsr swap. My goals is to get in between mid 200s to mid 300s whp.. I would like to get the car for somewhere around 2000-2500 and have low miles. I don't want the strip the car... Also any ideas for interior upgrades because I love nice interiors.. I know I'm probably going to swat out the seats and do a pillar gages and a sound system(I love sound systems and subs etc).. But my budget for engine mods is probably around 2k.. That can move depending on what I am looking for... As of now I for sure want arp head studs and will eventually put eagle rods, forged pistons, and new gaskets... I am on the fence about turboing it
Old 01-19-2013, 09:52 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Daily Driver build ideas?

you are not going to make that power with that budget
Old 01-19-2013, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Like I said budget willing to change... About how much do you say and what upgrades needed to achieve those goals?
Old 01-19-2013, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Twatstomper
Like I said budget willing to change... About how much do you say and what upgrades needed to achieve those goals?
If your new to modding for power, you are left choosing between stereo systems, or power.

Usually people grow out of the stereo scene (high school)
then become more into modding for power increase.

trying to get both of them purchased and dialed in is pretty far fetched for begginers, not trying to be negative, but once you get the power modding itch you will most likely not care for your sound system.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:08 PM
been there done that

double your budget
Old 01-19-2013, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For a dd double your budget and grab a gsr swap or even a type r and call it a day. You will be very pleased with the results. And what is better for a dd than a completely stock motor?

You kind of all over the place talking about arp bolts, piston, and rods when you don't even have a motor picked out or own the car. Take your time, plan it out and write down your goals. We have a 69 Camaro that should have never cost more than $60-80,000 but due to there not being a plan of attack. We ditched the $12,000 350 with 420 hp for stroked 350 to 427 with 600hp. We went through 3 different ac systems because my dad didn't like the way the lines came through the firewall. He bought a complete and new stock interior which was ditched for a completely custom interior, 3 sets of rims. It went from a simple restore to a completely custom resto-mod with shaved door handles and drip rails. Bumpers have been frenched. The cost is now over $150,000 because he just started buying stuff without having a set goal of what he wanted. And it is still not complete. Over 8 years and counting.
With all that said, make a plan of attack, stay orginized, and dot start buying a bunch of stuff until you know exactly what you are wanting
Old 01-19-2013, 11:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Personally I would say for a dd, make sure it is up to par and RELIABLE. after that, I would say work on suspension first. I still got a zc longblock with y7 ecu, intake, other stuff. Ya, it is slow. However, still fun as hell to drive and handles like a damn roller coaster imo. Out of all my friends, I have the only Honda, I can keep up through almost any turn and hit the canyons just as hard as my buddies in miatas, 240sx's, and AE86s (can't drift though haha). Gonna start hitting the track this year even if I haven't swapped. I firmly believe a great car is balanced and well rounded, not just hp/tq numbers

Just my .02 cents

Last edited by ej6fade; 01-20-2013 at 12:11 AM.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If your budget for engine mods on the stock D is 2-3k it can be done but has to be peiced together. If youre serious about this, i highly recommend you start with a Civic EX or any 94-01 integra. If you mainly want reliably comfortable power an Integra can get you there easier. A CX DX or LX civic will require an intake manifold swap at least to turbocharge because of the IACV. What specifically do you want to know and what are you absolutely interested in and i will do my best to give advice based on info ive gathered in the past year on modifications.
edit: wrote the first paragraph on my cell phone so couldn't say too much.

Do your best to look for a 96-00 EX coupe.

Last edited by CO671; 01-20-2013 at 12:32 AM.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the posts... Even the negative ones lol... Couple of updates... One I do have a car... Kinda of embracing but a 1995 Buick century(grandpa car) but it's a reliable car... I love car stereo systems so Idk if ill out growing especially seeing as I'm going to be getting a job at an install shop. But as of the budget is movable because it is a project and not going to be moving fast.. It seems doing a swap is the answer but what's your guys suggestion... I'm thinking a B16... Any thoughts?
Old 01-20-2013, 07:26 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

What about it?
Old 01-20-2013, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Any motor ideas and costs?
Old 01-20-2013, 08:26 AM
The Grumpiest

Boy. You just want it all handed to you dontcha?
Here. Do some window shopping.
http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc...USDM%20Engines
Old 01-20-2013, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have been... I just don't want to be set on something and have it be a mistake...
Old 01-20-2013, 08:49 AM
The Grumpiest

Then how are you asking about costs and talking about a Buick Century on a Honda forum? Are you doing any of the work yourself? No? Factor in labor and then triple your budget.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

I have been... I just don't want to be set on something and have it be a mistake...
The input you are receiving isn't meant to be rude. It's meant to jar you into reality. The fact of the matter is that you should do some research yourself based on the comments. Grumblemarc has assembled a nice thread that covers much of the territory you are moving toward. Read all of it and more. Then return with specific and well thought out questions. The discussion will then be much more productive for you.

Also check out the Hybrid forum (engine swaps from one model to another model) and the Forced Induction forum.

Last edited by Former User; 01-20-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well your now just assuming ****... Yes I will be doing the work myself... I have every suspemsion/wheel/rim/gauge/seats/gauges/exhaust/intake/fuel system written down on paper if I wanted to do a B16 swap in a coupe.. The only reason I mentioned the Buick is because I will haveanother vvehicle in the mean time if I wanted to something like swapping internals or turboing it... Like I said would be doing all the work by myself... I do all the work on my car and others... I also have the space seeing as a friend has a full shop with a hoist and a cherry picker that I can use at any time... I already have most of the nessacary tools to do the work.. I have a lot of buddies in the "import" thing but mostly dsm people.. So ill be one of the few Honda people from where I'm from... I personally don't like dsm.. I just wanted advice opinions from people who have done more with Hondas then me
Old 01-20-2013, 09:18 AM
The Grumpiest

I'm not assuming anything. Just asking questions based on your posts. Odd that you have all these resources at your fingertips yet you feel the need to ask the most rudimentary of questions.

You are definitely not the first person to ask these questions. More than a decade of people that have come before you and done it. All you have to do is read.

The only questions you should be asking should come after you've assembled a specific parts list. Not before.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have every suspemsion/wheel/rim/gauge/seats/gauges/exhaust/intake/fuel system written down on paper if I wanted to do a B16 swap in a coupe..
What does this even mean? Just swap a GSR in it and drive it for a year while you address all of the other shortcomings, then you can start thinking about built motors and turbos.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:23 AM
The Grumpiest

^^ Like button!
Old 01-20-2013, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

3rd gen Camaro with a 350 or a fox ody with a 351 are within your budget and power.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:08 AM
I took way too long

Swapping in a JDM B18C from HMO was the best thing I've ever done to my 92 EG. Get one... you'll love it.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Daily drivers should be stock. IMO.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bgdriver
What does this even mean? Just swap a GSR in it and drive it for a year while you address all of the other shortcomings, then you can start thinking about built motors and turbos.
X3. You will regret a b16
Old 01-20-2013, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by speedjunkie_g35
For a dd double your budget and grab a gsr swap or even a type r and call it a day. You will be very pleased with the results. And what is better for a dd than a completely stock motor?

You kind of all over the place talking about arp bolts, piston, and rods when you don't even have a motor picked out or own the car. Take your time, plan it out and write down your goals. We have a 69 Camaro that should have never cost more than $60-80,000 but due to there not being a plan of attack. We ditched the $12,000 350 with 420 hp for stroked 350 to 427 with 600hp. We went through 3 different ac systems because my dad didn't like the way the lines came through the firewall. He bought a complete and new stock interior which was ditched for a completely custom interior, 3 sets of rims. It went from a simple restore to a completely custom resto-mod with shaved door handles and drip rails. Bumpers have been frenched. The cost is now over $150,000 because he just started buying stuff without having a set goal of what he wanted. And it is still not complete. Over 8 years and counting.
With all that said, make a plan of attack, stay orginized, and dot start buying a bunch of stuff until you know exactly what you are wanting
Could have bought investment property or government bonds with that kind of quid. That's just asinine.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Telecatster
Could have bought investment property or government bonds with that kind of quid. That's just asinine.
Why is that asinine when he has the money to do it? He is just building the car he has wanted since childhood and is able to have a unlimited budget to do so. I have delt with investment properties and it is a big hassle which we don't have time for as we run 2 oil and gas companies. It is a big enough hassle just having two houses of my own. It seems all i do is work around the houses. I wouldn't consider anything with government in the title a investment anymore.

Quick Reply: Daily Driver build ideas?