Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Daily driver - b18c1 swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 01:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daily driver - b18c1 swap

So I'm planning to build a fun commuter type of car and I'm set on an EG hatch with a b18c1.

I didn't want to mod it like crazy. I just want to make it have a little more pep than stock but didn't want to go crazy as I already have another beast to build up (Evo VIII) but I can't bear to have a boring daily driver.

So I wanted some insight into this.

For the engine I was thinking of just doing intake/header/exhaust/tune. Does anyone think a tune will help any? Also I was thinking of having a custom exhaust fabbed up so I can try to get the biggest muffler and resonator on to keep volume down, what is the optimal exhaust pipe diameter for a b18c1 with minimal mods like what I already listed. If anyone can suggest an optimal exhaust that works for this engine and car then that would be great. Should I toss anything else in there before a tune? Reminder that this will be my commuter. Also can this be smogged legally or will I have to use a bro hookup?

Secondly would it be more cost effective to upgrade brakes and suspension from another Civic or Integra? I just want something that's responsive and also want discs in the rear. If OEM isn't cost effective can anyone suggest one aftermarket brakes and suspension that are?

Lastly, who knows of good Honda shops and tuners in the bay area? So far I've checked out Blacktrax and Red Zone but wouldn't mind more suggestions.

Thanks, and hello to all as this is my first post on here!
Old 01-18-2008, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Daily driver - b18c1 swap (Boo Radley)

I have pretty much the exact same thing you want, except I went ahead and put a forged bottom end with ARP head studs in my GS-R.

Yes, they're very daily-driver friendly IMO (I drive 70-80 miles a day between school, work, and home).

The tune will definitely help with the usual I/H/E combo...I'm running a phearable.net chip in my car and it helped out with power and fuel economy.

For a quiet exhaust, I'll recommend the Apex'i WS2...looks somewhat stock and sounds somewhat stock.

It would be cost effective to upgrade to the rear Integra discs, but I would imagine that your stock front ones would be more than adequate. And as far as suspension goes, might as well get a nice aftermarket set-up.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Daily driver - b18c1 swap (JKov240)

Ah sounds good! Thanks!
Old 01-18-2008, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i would definetly swap out the brakes.....the gsr swap will be waaay faster than stock and you'll want to be able to stop at high speeds....
the integra brake swap is like night and day compared to the stock brakes.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (autoponicz)

Is there an aftarmarket brake conversion? If so which one would you say has more worth for a daily driven (though will see constant redline) car between OEM Integra or aftermarket brake kit?

Also does anyone know a good Honda shop in the East Bay area in NorCal?