Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

d16z6 tranny/clutch chattering and slipping

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default d16z6 tranny/clutch chattering and slipping

so heres my story:

a long time ago my tranny did the whole throw out bearing noise thing, but it went away (proly not for a good reason). well, some time ago i notice while under WOT and accelerating at high rpms (5000+) the car would rock cuase the cluthc was slipping (rpms would jump up a hundred or two rpms but catch again so accelerating wasnt affected dramatically, just jumped the car a lil).
didnt think much of it at the time, until saturday night. was driving around with a buddy driving aggressively at that. well, i ended up losing my gears. i stopped couldnt get it into gear. i checked my hydraulic fluid for my clutch and it was fine (a week or so prior i ran dry and had the same thing happen). but fluid was untouched and hadnt lost any whatsoever.
so, i start the car up in 1st drive home rev matching to change gears. next morning i check out the car to find out it changes gears no problem while the engine is running unlike the night before. i go to drive it around, and when i take off the clutch doesnt grab until the VERY VERY end of the pedal. at this point its almost impossible to prevent the car from shaking violently (chattering i think?).
i take it for a spin and realise i cant apply more then an 1/8th of the pressure on the gas pedal without the rpms jumping up and the car not moving with it (slipping). im thinking damnit im in trouble. well, i checked out the old haynes manual today finally after work to realise some possibilities.

so, i ask. whats your opinion? do u think my pressure plate is warped? is it covered in oil from a leaking gasket or something? flywheel warped? clutch burnt out?

all said and done, what u think needs replacing? im guessing both the clutch and pressure plate.

is there a good diy thread out there for a 5thgen civic (93 si hatch) to get this **** replaced? or would i be best to bite the bullet it and take it to a buddy of mine who will charge half of shops estimate? (he told me to take it to midas or something get them to figure out whats wrong, say its to expensive and leave then buy the parts and take it to him).

basically im just trying to figure out what ill be dealing with before i start getting into it at the shop/etc.

also, u guys think those 'stage 3' (lol) clutches off egay would be fine to use as a stock replacement? theyre like $150 for clutch (rated for 270hp/256ftlbs)/pressureplate/release bearing/pilot bearing/clutch alignment tool) and like $30 shipping for me which is fair as ill proly be paying $150 for a pressure plate alone at a shop around here but who knows if the quality is better at the shop.

either way, lemme know what you guys think about this

-iLL
Old 06-05-2006, 04:56 PM

Default Re: d16z6 tranny/clutch chattering and slipping (Morning Call)

how many miles on it ( clutch ) ? is it OEM standard?

Old 06-05-2006, 05:20 PM

not sure if its oem standard but ill bet it is. the place that did the clutch for safety i hate, and are **** imo.

the clutch is about 2 years old proly about 60 000km on it tops.