Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

D16Z6 Swap Won't Start...Help!!!...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 04:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D16Z6 Swap Won't Start...Help!!!...

I just swapped a D16Z6 auto into a 92 DX hb. I can get it to crank but it won't start. I can hear the fuel pump come on, I've changed injectors, used a different main relay, new spark plugs, and replaced the starter. The only thing that I'v been messing with is the firing order. I found this pics of the firing order and hopefully it is correct. http://rywire.com/store/faqdes...4b4cc If not, let me know. I have also checked all my grounds and double checked all the wiring. I have also tried to jump the car with another car and still got nothing. After trying to start the car a few time, it would stat to smell like raw eggs. Does this mean anything?
Old 07-31-2006, 04:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just a hunch but is your ECU plugged in? lol

Have you verified that there is spark? if not you might wanna check your ICM and coil.

is there any Check Engine Lights?
Old 07-31-2006, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, the ecu is pluged in. I have tried both P06 and P28. No check engine light either. I jumped the wire to read a code but got nothing. How to do check the ICM and coil? I have taken the spark plugs out and there were some burn marks from firing. Would the timing from the distirbutor cause the engine not to start?
Old 07-31-2006, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HTLuver)

the firing order should go in a Z pattern starting from the top left side just remember 1 is on top of 3 and 2 is on top of 4, that goes for all 4cylinder honda motors but sometimes it can be in the N pattern starting with the top right instead. your spark also(testing the coil) by taking a plug out on at a time and laying them against your valve cover to check spark also tap them a couple times against the valve cover to get rid of any residue or carbon build up, it helps also to clean them out with a shop towel or something of that nature, but id insist that you had the help of a friend to crank over the ignition while you test the spark, this should help, get it running. also you could have flooded the cylinders, un-screw and disconnect the line from the fuel rail to the fuel filter at the fuel rail to relieve built up line pressure but note that it will spray and then connect it back up and remove two spark plugs at a time by doing either cylinders 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 not 1 and 2 or 3 and 4, because its really hard on the crank if you do two cylinders at a time that are right next to each other. that should help
Old 07-31-2006, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (vtech is slow)

What's wrong with driving a honda?
Old 07-31-2006, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hahah dont listen to him but take my advice and try it out.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:39 AM

Please do not feed the troll.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol... My bad.
Projekt_nr, I'll try that.

Anyone else with suggestions?
Old 07-31-2006, 07:52 AM

Default Re: D16Z6 Swap Won't Start...Help!!!... (HTLuver)

Where did you get this motor?

Do a compression test. If you don't have a testor, just stick a finger in a spark plug hole while someone cranks the motor and see if you are at least getting some air pushing out. Once you've ruled out really serious compression problems, use a testor.

Check the timing, make sure you have spark and fuel getting to the cylinders.

PS, why did you replace your starter, when the motor already cranks?

PPS, some people have good advice. But it's worthless without at least 5th grade level grammar and punctuation. /rant
Old 07-31-2006, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The motor was pulled from a junk yard.
I'll try the compression test also.

The starter died after severl cranks. It just stopped turning. I changed the main relay and that didn't help. So I got another starter.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm getting spark and there is some compression.

Some other thing I did yesterday was pour some gas down the spark plug whole before I put the spark plugs back in. It tried to start but all I got was a few puff..puff..

To me, it's starting to sound like I'm not getting any fuel. My spark plugs are firing but it seems like I'm not getting any fuel. I took the fuel rail off again and it is getting fuel. Is there anything else to check?

Another thing I am doing is I left the spark plugs out. I've heard of people doing this when the engine is flooded. At this point, I'll trying anything.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:17 AM

If you are getting spark and you are getting fuel then its wired wrong. Not the motor, but the distributor. If you know someone with a EX or a Z6 swapped car have them come buy and take a look at their distributor. I would also do a compression test. Try the wires first though. Hope this helps.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:21 AM

Is there any gas on the spark plugs?
Old 08-01-2006, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is exactly how my wiring is. Let me know if it's not correct, or you have a different wiring.

Well, I'd also forgot to mention that I dipped the spark plugs in gas as well as pouring gas in the spark plug whole.

After a few hours of leaving the spark plugs out of the car. I took a lighter and lit each whole. #4 came our firing, but the other 3 didn't do anything. (That was cool and unsafe. Kids don't try that w/o parents supervision.)

Modified by HTLuver at 7:24 AM 8/1/2006
Old 08-01-2006, 05:54 AM

Don't pour gas into the cylinders, it should be a mist (like from the injectors).

It sounds like your injectors may not be working correctly.

Are they wired right? Stock injectors? All of the clips on?
Old 08-01-2006, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had already swapped the injectors and rechecked all connections. Everything seems fine. The only thing is, I didn't clip the injectors on with the metal clips. I just pluged them in. I'm gonna have to take the head off, which I don't want to, if this doesn't work.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:26 AM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

when you say "some compression" how much do you mean?
Old 08-01-2006, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's pumping air out. I don't have a real compression tool.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:29 AM

Good, they're not stuck on there yet.

Pull the clips off and crank the motor for a good 10 or so seconds. That should help burn off any fuel in there.

Pull the plugs, check them to make sure they're not fouled, put em back in, put on the injector clips and try again.

You just need a friend with "the magic touch". I started my friend's two junk hatches and managed to get them up and down the street.

edit: It might be old and might take some time to get it running. I don't know why it smells like sulfur. That would make me think it's hella old. You check to see how many miles were on it before you bought it?
Old 08-01-2006, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the advise Everyones Hero. I'll try that tonight.
It had about 150,000 miles.
It sounds like my car (not me) needs your special touch. My buddy and I have been trying to get it started for 2 weeks. I only have 3 days left of the warrany. If I can't get it started, I'm taking it back. Or, do you guys think I should just take it back and quit wasting my time???....
Old 08-01-2006, 06:42 AM

Hell, if it's under warrantly I'd mess with it for a little bit more and then say expletive it and return it.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:15 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HTLuver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's pumping air out. I don't have a real compression tool.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Get one. Use it. Then return it.

Did the motor ever start up at the junkyard? How long was it there? My guess is that the motor is just shot. Maybe the ignition coil is bad, or the injectors are bad or something with your compression. Seems like there could be a million things wrong with it.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:40 AM

Default Re: (ZeeSix)

just check fuses, seems like everyone misses that. Odds are thats not the case but it seems like you have done everything else in your power. BTW. NICE MONSTER ICON, im drinking one right now.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've checked all the fuses like a billion times. I think it's the motor. I'm getting spark and it seems like the fuel is pumping. I'll have to check the timing tonight as well.

One thing is, when I turn the crank with my wrench, I can hear it releasing air pressure when the valves open. Is this correct?

Well, the motor was at the junkyard for a month. I don't know how long before it got to the junk yard. It was never started. This junkyard does start any cars. They just put'm out there and we pull it out. It's like a store. You just need to bring your tools. Take what you want and go to the checkout. I'm glad I bought the warranty.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:49 PM

did it come with a good dizzy

Quick Reply: D16Z6 Swap Won't Start...Help!!!...