Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

D16Y8 manifold on Y7 head

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D16Y8 manifold on Y7 head

Hi guys...

I have a 1996 D16Y7 coupe (100.000miles well mantained and in great shape)... I have a chance to get some things off of a busted Y8 for really cheap so I wanted to ask here what would be the best...

This is what I already have:
- bone stock Y7 with drop-in K&N filter
- EX transmission (S40-B000)
- Y8 exhaust manifold (not installed yet)

Will I get a peppier engine if I install that Y8 header and swap the Y8 intake manifold???

Because I don't want to waste money on something that will give me NOTHING... I will rather save for a swap or a turbo...

So in your estimation, how much "life" will I get from my engine using this combination
- Y8 transmission
- Y8 IM
- Y8 header
- de-cat

Remeber one thing... I am not going for horse-power gains, I just want to pep my engine a bit...

Will it be a noticable change or just waste of time and money???
Old 08-07-2006, 07:25 AM

Default Re: D16Y8 manifold on Y7 head (KKVTi)

I just wanted to add one more IMPORTANT thing...

I am satisfied with how the car pulls in 1st and 2nd gear...

But what I don't like is how it pulls when I shift to 3rd... well for everyday use is OK, but if I want to floor it, I get this feeling like the engine is not giving it's best...

I don't know how to explain it... like the engine can pull better but it is restricted...

I know that that Y7 manifold+cat "choker" must go immediately, but I don't think that only header can restrict performance so much...

So the exact question is, will my car pull noticably better in 3rd and 4th gear??? Cos if it won't, I will just replace the header and forget about the IM...
Old 08-07-2006, 07:50 AM

you will probably notice a slight difference. but you have to understand you have a 1.6 litre no torque engine. y8 IM does flow much better than the other d series. lots of ppl have that mod.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:51 AM
* B A N N E D *

ifyou want a better pull in 3rd, you need more tranny work. Possibly look into the DOHC ZC 1.346 3rd gear or the infintude short gear set. The y8 manifold will gain you mostly sound,
Old 08-07-2006, 08:00 AM

Default Re: D16Y8 manifold on Y7 head (cbmprelude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cbmprelude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ifyou want a better pull in 3rd, you need more tranny work. Possibly look into the DOHC ZC 1.346 3rd gear or the infintude short gear set. The y8 manifold will gain you mostly sound, </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's exactly what I thought...

I don't want the sound of any kind... I just want it to be a bit peppier...

I guess intake manifold will not do the job so I will just take off the Y7 exhast manifold and put the Y8 header that is lying in my garage... and call it a day...

Thanx guys, you saved me a 120 bucks

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cbmprelude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you will probably notice a slight difference. but you have to understand you have a 1.6 litre no torque engine. y8 IM does flow much better than the other d series. lots of ppl have that mod. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I know and I am OK with that... like I said, I am not looking for power gains, just a bit peppier engine...

The car is used only for daily driving and it will always serve just that purpose...

So I want to get from it as much as I can and stay cheap and just focus on mantaining it well...

Cos if I go with basic bolt-ons and some headwork and all that stuff to squeez the last horse from it, I am looking to spend as much money as it would cost me to buy used JRSC... and in first case i am looking at 5HP at most with aprox 1200 bucks spent...

And with used JRSC I am getting 35-40HP instantly and with lot less headache and work...

That's why I'm going to stay cheap until I'll have the money for a proper swap...

Old 08-07-2006, 08:05 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KKVTi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That's exactly what I thought...

I don't want the sound of any kind... I just want it to be a bit peppier...

I guess intake manifold will not do the job so I will just take off the Y7 exhast manifold and put the Y8 header that is lying in my garage... and call it a day...

Thanx guys, you saved me a 120 bucks

I know and I am OK with that... like I said, I am not looking for power gains, just a bit peppier engine...

The car is used only for daily driving and it will always serve just that purpose...

So I want to get from it as much as I can and stay cheap and just focus on mantaining it well...</TD></TR></TABLE>

i'm confused, i thought you said something about saving for a swap or turbo. why would you do that if you don't want power? if you want better throttle response get a bigger throttle body and a short ram intake. the tranny alone should have made a nice improvement
Old 08-07-2006, 08:11 AM

Default Re: D16Y8 manifold on Y7 head (Civicse)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Civicse &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm confused, i thought you said something about saving for a swap or turbo. why would you do that if you don't want power? if you want better throttle response get a bigger throttle body and a short ram intake. the tranny alone should have made a nice improvement</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nonono...

You got me wrong...

I didn't say I don't want power AT ALL...

I just said that I am not LOOKING AT POWER GAINS WITH THOSE Y8 THINGS...

I just came across this guy that has a busted Y8 and sells parts for cheap... so if I can get a bit peppier engine for 200 bucks (that's how much he wants for IM and header), that's good... so, NO HP, just a bit better throttle response...

And when I will have the money for a proper swap, THEN I WANT THE MOST POWER GAIN FOR THE BUCK...

But until that, I just want to add a bit pep to my engine for cheap... WHY NOT if I can
Old 08-07-2006, 08:17 AM

the s40 tranny is an dx lx cx tranny. the s20 is ex si its the better one. s40 wont help a bit too long of gears.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:42 AM

Default Re: D16Y8 manifold on Y7 head (v8killa91)

The tranny is from D16Y8 and has the same ratios as Z6 with a slightly longer 2nd gear (1900 vs 1909)

S20 is EG
S40 is EK