Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

d16y8 intake manifold swap, what gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (justmyluck)

ok there are two lines coming from the block, one is the PCV valve, and one is a coolant line. the PCV valve is the one coming from the black box looking thing under the intake manifold, and that connects to the bigger nipple on the top of the manifold. the coolant line connects to the IAC valve located at the throttle body.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (Airbag Club)

i checked all the lines for the third time and i'm positive they're in the right place. but my car is still doin the same thing. i plugged up the small valve that sits on the bottom of the IM on the back, but how did you plug these up:

sorry about the gi-freakin-gantic pic, and yeah thats as far away as i could get and its still blurry.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

mine had the stock IAC valve there, so it had 2 nipples coming out, so i just put a piece of vacuum line and connected them to each other...you should somehow cover those holes up, because that is probably causing your leak.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:43 PM

Default Re: d16y8 intake manifold swap, what gasket? (bambbrose)

ok sorry to jack ur thread but, i have a z6 and want a y8 i/m, what gasket do i use? can i use a z6 hondata gasket? tia
Old 06-23-2004, 07:19 AM

i'm gonna post a few pics tonight so you all can see where i have lines running and you can check and make sure they're right. hopefully you'll see somethin i'm not seein.

oh, and i'll try to resize the pics so they're not ginormous.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:15 PM

red comes from black box thing under manifold to the top nipple on the front of the manifold, blue comes from bottom nipple on the front of the manifold to the black thing up against the firewall(seen in pic 2):

heres that black thing that hose runs to:

this is the coolant line that runs from the block to the TB:

the coolant hose that runs from under the manifold goes to the other nipple on the TB, its hard to get a pic of that.

there was somethin else i was gonna say but i forgot, i'll probably remember later.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it looks right to me...that blue line that goes to the evap canister, there are 2 things in between right, sensors and a purge valve?

also, what were those two black holes you showed in the previous picture. the stock y8 IAC should have been there, and those are probably causing your leaks...
Old 06-24-2004, 03:20 AM

yeah the blue line goes to that thing in between and then to the evap canister.

the holes are from where the IAC goes but the guy i got the manifold from i guess took it off before he sent it. so maybe i should try and get ahold of one? or find a way to seal em up good i guess.

also when i fill my radiator w/ coolant it leaks a lil from the manifold where those two lines(one of them has the red in the pic above) come out of the block......thats the reason there a shop rag sittin there. but once i get my car running shouldnt the IM gasket melt to the block and seal better?
Old 06-24-2004, 04:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have a 5-speed Y8 manifold withOUT the IACV on the back of it (and nothing covering those holes either)???

Yeah, thats a big vaccum leak right there - need to fix that asap.

And no, the gasket should not melt and seal better - you've got something wrong if you've got a leak.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:

tighten up the manifold better. i am assuming you used a new gasket right?? did you also use gasket glue? check your coolant lines and make sure the clamps are tight..
Old 06-24-2004, 01:41 PM

Default Re: Re: (Airbag Club)

the manifold is tight. and yeah i used a new gasket. i didnt try using gasket glue though, does it work very good? i can get it from like an autozone or somethin right?
Old 06-24-2004, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (justmyluck)

well since your manifold is already put on with a new gasket, i would not advise you take it off to put gasket glue, as the gasket might break.

but seriously, do something about the IAC holes..
Old 06-25-2004, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I finally finished the DIY, took forever but I got it done..

here is the link,
http://www.parkinginlots.com/d...p.htm

if you have any other questions let me know
Old 06-25-2004, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bambbrose)

don't forget to add that if you have a 99-00 Y8 manifold, that you need to plug up the air injection holes located above each runner. I used JB weld to do the job on mine.

Also when unplugging plugs, it is recommened to label each one, that way it is easier to hook back up.
Old 06-26-2004, 03:44 AM

yeah definatly label, it would have made my swap A LOT easier........maybe my car would be running by now if i had, lol.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

also check your wiring, you might have switched up the wiring, as two plugs have the same plug configuration...it is the round plug with 3 wires..don't remember what they were though.
Old 06-26-2004, 01:25 PM

ok, i swear i've done everything right and triple checked it all and the stupid car is still doin the same thing. when you turn the car on it just revs up, white smoke comes out the exaust, and it smells like coolant. all the air injection lines are hooked up in the right places and all the coolant lines are hooked up right, the thottlle cable is tight and the throttle cable plate is on and tight. i plugged the cruise control valve and the aicv holes, so i dont know why its still doin this crap.

if anyone in the tampa area would like to come take a look and help me out that would be awesome. otherwise i guess i'm just gonna have to tow it somewhere........maybe honda
Old 06-27-2004, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you have white smoke coming out the exhaust and it smells like coolant, it usually means a head gasket problem or a cracked head or manifold. At the very least you've obviously got coolant getting in the cylinders somehow. I would suggest gettong some cooling system dye, let the motor run for a minute or two and then shut it down and start taking stuff apart. This way when you get everything apart you will be able to see where the dye is coming from...
Old 07-03-2004, 01:14 PM

the hose my finger is on is a coolant line, it should go to the TB right? does it matter which nipple? the other line next to that coolant line should go to the top nipple on the front of the y8 IM right?

i sealed up the cruise control valve and the two iacv holes with silicone sealant, i should leave that small hole on the face of the manifold where the TB bolts up open right?
Old 07-03-2004, 01:16 PM

sorry about the pic size, i lost photoshop so i had to do that crap in MSpaint.
Old 07-04-2004, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the answers to all your questions are yes. and you should probably clean up that intake manifold on the inside.. it looks like ***
Old 07-05-2004, 03:55 PM

Default Re: (bambbrose)

wel i put it all together and took it for a drive to see how it ran and let me tell you i'm just glad that i made it home. smoke pouring from the exaust, idle jumpin all over the place. so obviously there must be coolant leaking into the engine. where the coolant comes from the block into the manifold is where it must be leakin from cuz theres none coming from any of the hoses or anything. i dont know how though, its on there good and tight, and i used a different gasket this time(fel-pro instead of honda). i cant think of anything else to try so i guess i'm gonna have to find a place around here that will take a look and see what they can do.

i just wanna drive my car!!
Old 10-01-2004, 10:29 PM

kind of on topic......... does hondata or similar companies make the insulated gasket for the manifold? i see they make em for d16z so idk how diff it might be
Old 10-01-2004, 11:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (UltRaH22)

i'm using a hondata gasket on my d16y7 motor right now.

i should have gotten it in the first place, because shortly after i put on the Y8 manifold, i purchased a JRSC, so then i had to go out and buy another gasket. i then decided to just use a hondata meant for the z6, and it seems to work fine. just put some thread lock before you put on the nuts, because they don't have as much bite anymore.
Old 10-02-2004, 12:04 AM

*pssh* copy that *Pssh*

Quick Reply: d16y8 intake manifold swap, what gasket?