Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

From D16y8 in 00 EX to what engine? My engine has 151k and probs, time to swap.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From D16y8 in 00 EX to what engine? My engine has 151k and probs, time to swap.

In a thread about my new 00 EX I was told to get a "B16" instead of another D16y8.

In the faq it says watch out because you can end up with a pretty bad engine if you don't know what you are looking for and guess what? I don't know what I am looking for besides a nice running engine that doesn't smoke in the morning and consume gobs of oil.

I wouldn't mind the extra HP of a B16, but I don't know what variations there are to this motor and what to look for, or most important where to look for one.

My mechanic already said he doesn't want to mess around with a different engine because of problems, so is there a guide written somewhere explaining the exact differences between the two engines?

Any help is seriously appreciated, I would like to get this done before winter hits (and its getting cold already). Thanks
Old 08-25-2008, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: From D16y8 in 00 EX to what engine? My engine has 151k and probs, time to swap. (EJ8_Enthusiast)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ8_Enthusiast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">In a thread about my new 00 EX I was told to get a "B16" instead of another D16y8.

In the faq it says watch out because you can end up with a pretty bad engine if you don't know what you are looking for and guess what? I don't know what I am looking for besides a nice running engine that doesn't smoke in the morning and consume gobs of oil.

I wouldn't mind the extra HP of a B16, but I don't know what variations there are to this motor and what to look for, or most important where to look for one.

My mechanic already said he doesn't want to mess around with a different engine because of problems, so is there a guide written somewhere explaining the exact differences between the two engines?

Any help is seriously appreciated, I would like to get this done before winter hits (and its getting cold already). Thanks </TD></TR></TABLE>

Where you located? I might take that Y8 off your hands...
Old 08-25-2008, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: From D16y8 in 00 EX to what engine? My engine has 151k and probs, time to swap. (EJ8_Enthusiast)

go for a H22 swap.
gots more potential.
200 hp STOCK!
Old 08-25-2008, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: From D16y8 in 00 EX to what engine? My engine has 151k and probs, time to swap. (Hybrid96EK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid96EK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Where you located? I might take that Y8 off your hands...</TD></TR></TABLE>

if you want ill take that y8 off YOUR hands.
infact ill pick it up for free!
Old 08-25-2008, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: From D16y8 in 00 EX to what engine? My engine has 151k and probs, time to swap. (Unseen Racer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Unseen Racer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

if you want ill take that y8 off YOUR hands.
infact ill pick it up for free!</TD></TR></TABLE>

What?
Old 08-25-2008, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: From D16y8 in 00 EX to what engine? My engine has 151k and probs, time to swap. (Hybrid96EK)

ive got 2 d16y8's the first one i had spun a rod bearing and the other is just sitting in storage till i get off my *** and swap em out but if your interested in buying a junked d16 let me know
Old 08-25-2008, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just that you take his y8 off his hands and ill take it off your hands.
AND (here's the kicker) i will pick it up (off your hands) for free!
yay!!
free!!
Old 08-25-2008, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: From D16y8 in 00 EX to what engine? My engine has 151k and probs, time to swap. (Dkober101)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dkober101 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ive got 2 d16y8's the first one i had spun a rod bearing and the other is just sitting in storage till i get off my *** and swap em out but if your interested in buying a junked d16 let me know
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Tell me all whats wrong with it and gimme a price. I LOVE the D Series!
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: From D16y8 in 00 EX to what engine? My engine has 151k and probs, time to swap. (Unseen Racer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Unseen Racer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just that you take his y8 off his hands and ill take it off your hands.
AND (here's the kicker) i will pick it up (off your hands) for free!
yay!!
free!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Leave my Y8's alone!
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: From D16y8 in 00 EX to what engine? My engine has 151k and probs, time to swap. (Dkober101)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dkober101 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ive got 2 d16y8's the first one i had spun a rod bearing and the other is just sitting in storage till i get off my *** and swap em out but if your interested in buying a junked d16 let me know
</TD></TR></TABLE>

how much?
cuz ive been wanting to try my hands in rebuilding an engine
Old 08-25-2008, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid96EK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Leave my Y8's alone! </TD></TR></TABLE>

but i like y8's.
i got 1 in my civic.
gonna swap it out for a h22 though
Old 08-25-2008, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Unseen Racer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

but i like y8's.
i got 1 in my civic.
gonna swap it out for a h22 though</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm sorry to hear about the swap. You can unload your Y8 at my pad though. Make things a little easier for you!
Old 08-25-2008, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Tell me all whats wrong with it and gimme a price. I LOVE the D Series! </TD></TR></TABLE>

its got a spun rod bearing
oil pump went bad and locked up on my way home from school
ill give it to you for $50 if you come and pick it up
morgan city la
Old 08-25-2008, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dkober101 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

its got a spun rod bearing
oil pump went bad and locked up on my way home from school
ill give it to you for $50 if you come and pick it up
morgan city la</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'd love to but thats one hell of a drive from California!
Old 08-25-2008, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why is everyone so jazzed about y8's?

should I just keep the motor? it runs fine mechanically, its just the valve stem seals leak causing me to blow smoke anytime the car sits for more than an hour.

Is there any "easy" fix for this aside from a rebuild? this is the main reason I am going for a swap but two mechanics say it can run forever like this as long as I keep pouring oil in it.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd love to but thats one hell of a drive from California! </TD></TR></TABLE>

hahah yah i know but why so much love for the y8s thier the weakest of the d16
Old 08-25-2008, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EJ8_Enthusiast)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ8_Enthusiast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why is everyone so jazzed about y8's?

should I just keep the motor? it runs fine mechanically, its just the valve stem seals leak causing me to blow smoke anytime the car sits for more than an hour.

Is there any "easy" fix for this aside from a rebuild? this is the main reason I am going for a swap but two mechanics say it can run forever like this as long as I keep pouring oil in it.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

its just a simple motor to work with
but if thats all thats wrong wiht it go to the junk yard or just search around HT and look for a new head people are always parting out y8's after they do a swap and itll only take 1 afternoon to do if you know what your doing
Old 08-25-2008, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I cant do something like that myself and my mechanic says its not worth rebuilding the head because the whole bottom of the engine is still at 150k making it too costly for what its worth in labor.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dkober101)

yea thats a pretty long drive.
but so Hybrid96EK wont get it, ill go pick it up!
yay!!!

lol jk
wait MAYBE
Old 08-25-2008, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ8_Enthusiast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why is everyone so jazzed about y8's?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats simple to fix. Especially if you have a leakdown tester. Could do it without pulling the head for about $30 in parts.

These engines are wonderfull engines, they just need a little "help" in the form of forced induction. Research a little about turbo single cams before you decide on a swap. I am selling off all my B series crap right now and building a Y8 for my hatch as we speak. Everything for D's is cheap as hell. Pistons, rods, turbo kits, etc. Its just something more "forgiving" on the wallet to play with... and remember, they respond REAL well to boost. You could easily do 200-240whp with a stock bottom end and 300+ with a built bottom end. Thats more then enough to have fun with, no?

As for the "weakest of the D series" crap... thats just that, crap. There is nothing that would make a Y8 weaker then a Y7 considering they are the SAME bottom end. Some people argue the issue with the oil galleries in the crank, I have never had a problem. I will be using a Z6 crank in my current Y8 build however.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ8_Enthusiast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I cant do something like that myself and my mechanic says its not worth rebuilding the head because the whole bottom of the engine is still at 150k making it too costly for what its worth in labor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Where you at? I'll swap the head for you for a rediculously small fee. Or bring me some stem seals and we can just solve the problem without swapping the head. Stem seals are horribly cheap, look it up. I can even get you OEM Honda crap for dirty cheap.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hybrid96EK)

Thats simple to fix. Especially if you have a leakdown tester. Could do it without pulling the head for about $30 in parts.

These engines are wonderfull engines, they just need a little "help" in the form of forced induction. Research a little about turbo single cams before you decide on a swap. I am selling off all my B series crap right now and building a Y8 for my hatch as we speak. Everything for D's is cheap as hell. Pistons, rods, turbo kits, etc. Its just something more "forgiving" on the wallet to play with... and remember, they respond REAL well to boost. You could easily do 200-240whp with a stock bottom end and 300+ with a built bottom end. Thats more then enough to have fun with, no?

As for the "weakest of the D series" crap... thats just that, crap. There is nothing that would make a Y8 weaker then a Y7 considering they are the SAME bottom end. Some people argue the issue with the oil galleries in the crank, I have never had a problem. I will be using a Z6 crank in my current Y8 build however. </TD></TR></TABLE>

do you have a b16 engine?
if you do ill swap you.
my y8 for your b16.

and where can you get a cheap turbo for a y8?
Old 08-25-2008, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ8_Enthusiast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I cant do something like that myself and my mechanic says its not worth rebuilding the head because the whole bottom of the engine is still at 150k making it too costly for what its worth in labor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

all you need is a 10mm wrench and alittle know how and youll have it done in know time
just go to autozone and pick a manual and follow the step by step instructions
if not go to hybridracing and buy a dvd put it in your lap top and go out side and get to work
oh and you can pick up a new head for a fraction of a new engines cost
P.S. you are you own mechanic on HT if you run in to a snag post pictures and ask qustions im sure everyone here can get you out of your bind
Old 08-25-2008, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hybrid96EK)

As for the "weakest of the D series" crap... thats just that, crap. There is nothing that would make a Y8 weaker then a Y7 considering they are the SAME bottom end. Some people argue the issue with the oil galleries in the crank, I have never had a problem. I will be using a Z6 crank in my current Y8 build however. </TD></TR></TABLE>

im just saying man i had nothing but problems with my motor if it wasnt one thing it was another and i wasnt one of those ricers who went out and tore *** all the time dumping the clutch at every red light i loved my car and i babied it till the day it died
Old 08-25-2008, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Unseen Racer)

do you have a b16 engine?
if you do ill swap you.
my y8 for your b16.

and where can you get a cheap turbo for a y8?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, its a B18C1 with ITR pistons and rods. Completely rebuilt, blah blah. Did 194whp with the Blox B's last time I had it on the dyno. I hate B16's. You won't ever see me with one of those.

Look around all over and you will see PLENTY of cheap turbo crap for the D's. You'd be surprised how well they respond to a little boost.

Quick Reply: From D16y8 in 00 EX to what engine? My engine has 151k and probs, time to swap.