Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

D16Y7 Questions... im new to honda's and need help !!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 D16Y7 Questions... im new to honda's and need help !!!

i have a question for you all... i relize a bunch of you would say search this but i would rather ask you guys..... i mean i know a lot about cars cause i just sold my 88 toyota supra and learned and worked on it and even went to school and worked in a shop...........but i know nothing about honda engines.

i currently got a 97 2dr hatchback but How much can the stock D16 engine handle??? for performance.. i want to bring it up too 200 hp. is that even a good idea?

Please help!!! thanks
Old 03-01-2011, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D16Y7 Questions... im new to honda's and need help !!!

It could handle probably between 200-225hp if it's in relatively good shape. The only way you will get that type of power without sacrificing your left nut is to boost it. If you decide to do this, at least swap out the intake manifold for the y8 model design. It is much better than the pos downdraft IM on the y7. Then put together a modest turbo setup and get a good tune.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ita a honda engine... you could make it 1000 WHP!
Old 03-02-2011, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol nah more like 6000 HP!!!!!! lol just slapping stickers on the bumper lol

the engine is in great condition, lots of miles, but in great condition

i mean i just had plans to chip it. catback exauhst, intake, headers and a high flow air filter. just for now . but like i said i dont want the engine to blow lol
Old 03-02-2011, 07:00 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMJunkie08
lol nah more like 6000 HP!!!!!! lol just slapping stickers on the bumper lol

the engine is in great condition, lots of miles, but in great condition

i mean i just had plans to chip it. catback exauhst, intake, headers and a high flow air filter. just for now . but like i said i dont want the engine to blow lol
How do you know the engine is in great condition? Have you run any compression/leakdown tests? If you had searched you would have found that I/H/E and any other bolt-on for D-series engines is a waste of money. Install them and you will discover that not only did you make nearly no extra horsepower you also wasted a lot of money that could have been spent elsewhere. It ABSOLUTELY will get you NOWHERE near 200hp.

Boost it or swap engines.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 96hb
It could handle probably between 200-225hp if it's in relatively good shape. The only way you will get that type of power without sacrificing your left nut is to boost it. If you decide to do this, at least swap out the intake manifold for the y8 model design. It is much better than the pos downdraft IM on the y7. Then put together a modest turbo setup and get a good tune.
does the Y8 intake manifold bolt on ? i would imagine some machining taking place from the Y8 manifold to the engine ?
Old 03-02-2011, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
How do you know the engine is in great condition? Have you run any compression/leakdown tests? If you had searched you would have found that I/H/E and any other bolt-on for D-series engines is a waste of money. Install them and you will discover that not only did you make nearly no extra horsepower you also wasted a lot of money that could have been spent elsewhere. It ABSOLUTELY will get you NOWHERE near 200hp.

like i said lol i know nothing about honda or its engines lol im learning a lot of people choose to boost there cars but im trying to find a nice naturally aspirated set up....but if i have to turbo ill do it too ! =]

what engine would you suggest i swap too ?
Old 03-02-2011, 07:08 AM
The Grumpiest

It depends on your budget. B-Series, H-series, J-series, K-series. I really would suggest you search but since you won't be prepared for the 20+ conflicting recommendations you are about to receive.

Boost can be had for cheap and if done CORRECTLY, reliable as well. 2 years and going on my boosted D. N/A builds are expensive.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It depends on your budget. B-Series, H-series, J-series, K-series. I really would suggest you search but since you won't be prepared for the 20+ conflicting recommendations you are about to receive.

Boost can be had for cheap and if done CORRECTLY, reliable as well. 2 years and going on my boosted D. N/A builds are expensive.
well from what ive researched on honda engines the B series and the H are nice and reliable.

like the B16C3 or the H22....

i want something that will last me a long while and will also give me what im looking for which would be a fast highway car or a back street monster lol but still daily driven...

i want enough room in the engine bay and want it clean.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:18 AM
The Grumpiest

All of your criteria can be had from any of the series engines I mentioned above on boost. The bigger displacement engines have a LOT more torque in them. Now if you want my OPINION I would go H2B. K-series looks good but I like A/C.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:19 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

does the Y8 intake manifold bolt on?
Yes.

i would imagine some machining taking place from the Y8 manifold to the engine?
No machining required, direct bolt on.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sweet okay that works......any other bolt on parts to help engine performance ?
Old 03-02-2011, 07:44 AM
The Grumpiest

Bolt onto what? Are we still talking the stock engine or the one you plan to swap?
Old 03-02-2011, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bolt onto what? Are we still talking the stock engine or the one you plan to swap?
im still talking about the stock engine ... and any bolt on parts for the D16..

which engine were you talking about ?
Old 03-02-2011, 07:54 AM
The Grumpiest

I/H/E and any other bolt-on for D-series engines is a waste of money. Install them and you will discover that not only did you make nearly no extra horsepower you also wasted a lot of money that could have been spent elsewhere. It ABSOLUTELY will get you NOWHERE near 200hp.

I think you only read the last line of this.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think you only read the last line of this.
nope i read it all lol and yes i agree boost it or swap it but im keeping all options in mind....

like earlier someone suggested the H2B ( i think that was you actually lol )

and all the different series.. but im looking for something cheap reliable and is going to give me power when i want it..
Old 03-02-2011, 08:18 AM
The Grumpiest

I repeat; bolt-ons on a D are pointless. Without knowing your definition of cheap it will be hard to recommend anything to you. You gotta pay to play. Cheap and fast and reliable aren't to be used in the same sentence.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I repeat; bolt-ons on a D are pointless. Without knowing your definition of cheap it will be hard to recommend anything to you. You gotta pay to play. Cheap and fast and reliable aren't to be used in the same sentence.
lol yeah i got the bolt ons are pointless lol trust me i know lol and by cheap i mean like 2000 to 3500 at most for the engine and conversions lol if that helps any....lol
Old 03-02-2011, 08:23 AM
The Grumpiest

http://hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000...USDM%20Engines
Old 03-02-2011, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

like they always say, "fast. cheap. reliable. : pick two."

you want 200hp. that's double what this model came with from the factory. (on a side note, why does everyone always think they need 200hp? not a valid performance goal in my opinion.) if you think that number will satisfy your needs get to work on a turbo kit or start shopping for a low mileage B18.

you could also work your way to turbo in stages. start with the Y8 manifold ('96-'98), Y8 exhaust manifold ('99-'00), intake (SRI, CAI, or Y8 stock w/ performance drop in filter. doesn't matter really...), and high quality cat back system. then a Delta 272 cam regrind with larger injectors cam gear a chip and a tune. if you like that but you still want more lose the exhaust manifold, replace it with a turbo and down pipe then reflash the chip and tune again. at this point you may find you need bigger injectors depending.. another point here; you can keep your current transmission, shift linkage and CV axles with the turbo build. anything else will require a different transmission...

...with one exception. F2D/H2D. not a popular route. maybe because it won't help you fit in with the "local scene" like an ITR swap or the like. i dunno. but it is an option and it can get you 200 hp reliably with an accord motor and $700 worth of adapter kit.

your call.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

y7 and y8 Oil pumps are garbage replace that so that would be the first thing i fixed other then that there a good base motor my old y7 mini me (y7 block y8 head) was pretty quick i beat a LS in a EG coupe by a car with stock piping the the dumb stock headers.... but i spun bearings racing another mustang... now i got a JDM d15B not the same my old motor was alot faster but think if u swap the oil pump in it it will be fine... 2 main things id say u should do is Y8 intake manifold and a EX tranni...

People say u cant be fast reliable for cheap but i have....

I know around here ALOT of people are going to K series n B series so they give away there D series parts for free i got a y8 head free tranni for free greddy headers for 20$ y8 intake mani 10$ 2 1/4 exhaust Thermal Traded or stock exhaust

You just gotta look in the right places lol but New is always better

Last edited by JDM-KIDD; 03-02-2011 at 08:52 AM. Reason: forgot info
Old 03-02-2011, 08:47 AM
The Grumpiest

Originally Posted by JDM-KIDD
y7 and y8 Oil pumps are garbage replace that so that would be the first thing i fixed other then that there a good base motor my old y7 mini me (y7 block y8 head) was pretty quick i beat a LS in a EG coupe by a car with stock piping the the dumb stock headers.... but i spun bearings racing another mustang... now i got a JDM d15B not the same my old motor was alot faster but think if u swap the oil pump in it it will be fine...
Nothing wrong with Y7/Y8 oil pumps. And it doesn't matter what D engine it is it's still slow.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hondamark35
like they always say, "fast. cheap. reliable. : pick two."

you want 200hp. that's double what this model came with from the factory. (on a side note, why does everyone always think they need 200hp? not a valid performance goal in my opinion.) if you think that number will satisfy your needs get to work on a turbo kit or start shopping for a low mileage B18.

you could also work your way to turbo in stages. start with the Y8 manifold ('96-'98), Y8 exhaust manifold ('99-'00), intake (SRI, CAI, or Y8 stock w/ performance drop in filter. doesn't matter really...), and high quality cat back system. then a Delta 272 cam regrind with larger injectors cam gear a chip and a tune. if you like that but you still want more lose the exhaust manifold, replace it with a turbo and down pipe then reflash the chip and tune again. at this point you may find you need bigger injectors depending.. another point here; you can keep your current transmission, shift linkage and CV axles with the turbo build. anything else will require a different transmission...

...with one exception. F2D/H2D. not a popular route. maybe because it won't help you fit in with the "local scene" like an ITR swap or the like. i dunno. but it is an option and it can get you 200 hp reliably with an accord motor and $700 worth of adapter kit.

your call.
well see where im from here in ocean city MD tuner week is extremely popular come summer. i dont want someone calling me ricer or any of that dumb ****.. it pisses me off cause im not a ricer at all but with a nice 200 HP start they wont get to call me a ricer....

a small light weight honda that can keep up is what i want for now then slowly build up as i get the money...

thanks for the options man ill keep everything in mind ..

if you dont mind could you friend me so if i have any further qquestions i could just ask you

i trust your information and when i do something to the honda i can keep you posted with performance updates with the stock motor till i can afford the swap lol

ill most likely swap a B18C3 or another B series depending on some other options lol
Old 03-02-2011, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nothing wrong with Y7/Y8 oil pumps. And it doesn't matter what D engine it is it's still slow.

Oh i dunno about that.. they flow like 25% less... Every y7/y8 i had spung bearings my d15b is fine. n has been fine

N my first y7 had 120k miles second had 115k 3rd had 130k

N yes D series are slow... Thats why im doin LS-V... but it is possible to make a D series fast for cheap.. cause Every one is going B series or K series...

But i know me i started getting into the racing scene n my brother had a mid 13 sec CRX b16 so dont compare ur self to other peoples civics or other peopes builds in there car cause every builds diffrent...

N every one has there own opinion on motors so DO what uw ant dont let people talk you out of what u want to do

Last edited by JDM-KIDD; 03-02-2011 at 08:59 AM. Reason: cuz
Old 03-02-2011, 09:00 AM
The Grumpiest

Yeah but as you stated you also beat your engines down to crap street racing. So for people like you they better upgrade oil pumps since you wanna play Fast and Furious. NORMAL driving is not an issue.

And where do you get 25% less from? 25% less than what? Got a fact sheet to back that up or is that a number you pulled out of the air?

OP. I'm trying to save you a lot of money and time. PLEASE don't go the bolt on route. You really won't see any gains. I went down that path and was not at all happy and was loud and still slow. The only way to get any power out of a D is to turbo it.

Quick Reply: D16Y7 Questions... im new to honda's and need help !!!