Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

d16y7 > d16y8 swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 12:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default d16y7 > d16y8 swap

My 00 y8 is about to get a new home in my 98 dx and was wondering if any og you guys have done this swap before or maybe a y8 replacement if you could tell me how hard this is to do. I will be using a new wiring harness, ecu, tranny as well. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-11-2004, 01:52 AM

Default Re: d16y7 > d16y8 swap (6gcivic)

weird...I'm in louisville too, off of preston..but in bullitt co.

If you need any help hit me up, i would be glad to help with **** you need to know or have questions about.
It won't be that hard because both cars are already OBD2, your y8 has a knock sensor that your y7 dosnt have...but im sure since your going to be using a y8 harness, you wont have to splice for the sensor...or for the vtec solenoid. (spelling?) you will need y8 axels, intake and exaust gaskets, new belts, probably have to go to honda and special order a few bolts....if you need a y8 ECU, check my signature out...i got one i can sell...with out shipping. haha If its your first time....you might want to get a helms, and find someone who has done a swap on a honda before to help you out....it always help to have someone to answer questions that you come across...because its likely they already came into the 'problem' and know what to do.

honestly..., how many miles is on the DX? why dont you just use the y8 head on the y7 block ? (mini-me) those seem to go a little bit faster for me....although you need a torque wrench for that... well you should always have one anyway.. haha

My swaps in D series always go easy. even my first was ******* easy. IMHO its easied to swap the same series ...rather than trying to throw something in a car that they didnt make to have that series in (not that it dosnt work...just a pain sometimes.) Do you have a car that your going to be taking this out of or do you just have the motor? or do you not even have this yet, you just want to know? hit me up at murmur9@aol.com if you need to.

Old 09-11-2004, 04:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya dont expect the ecu to work 100% normal.

obd2a/2b
Old 09-11-2004, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (crx_88_si)

Wow, ok where to start

About my '00 y8. I bought a 97EX's wiring harness and ecu, converted the new engines intake manifold to a 96-98 style (meaning without air injection) and and the y8 tranny is from a '00 so all that is ready to go.

murmur9: man, I need your help badly with the swap!! I dont trust any of my ricer friends because they've messed up the car in the past and it has cost me big time to get their mistakes fixed. I need people who actually know what they are doing like you. Heres the low down: In addition to what I wrote above, I have purchased a ACT HDSS clutch, Energy Suspension motor mounts, and $250 worth of parts directly from Honda oem such as gaskets, nuts, O rings and seals. I feel I have every part ready for this swap and just need someone to help do it. I dont have an engine lift nor a driveway/garage ( I live in an apt off Westport) so if you have any ideas let me know!

pm or email me vtecd16@aol.com if you want to help me out, I need it! Never done a swap before.
Old 09-11-2004, 08:04 PM

Default Re: (6gcivic)

whoa, off of westport....humm...ill pm you
Old 09-11-2004, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (murmur9)

man I can drive anywhere to get it worked on. You donthave to come all the way out here!
Old 09-11-2004, 08:24 PM

k, i just emailed you on aol...so hit me up if you want. I'll come check out what all you have. Your wiring harness...is it the complete harness...or does it have some missing connectors that were cut off?
What do you mean you ''converted the new engines intake mani to a 96-98? do you mean you are using an ex manifold? if you use your DX manifold..it will bolt up fine, just the TB is in a different loc. but you should get an ex manifold because it has better flow...and ...**** i forgot whatelse...but its better. lol its like the type R of d series manifolds. lol if you can pick one up, grab a y8 exaust mani too. but honestly, if you just want it to work...and not for speed, we can reuse a lot of your old parts, and it will run great.
Remember your going to need some ex axels and crap too. **** if you want you could put the y8 brakes on the dx, they are a little longer/ bigger, whatever.

how about...i will help you throw this swap in....and you just buy me a BOV and a greddy blue box and you can help me throw my turbo on mine =o) hahaha

i just found someone with the HF manifold...and i just got my missing link...already have the turbo...ima get a freaking downpipe fabricated at some local shop...you know anyone who welds?
Old 09-11-2004, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you help me get this engine in and I'll come over and help whenever you need it. Working on these isnt a job to me, i like doing it!

I mean I have a 97 EX's d16y8 intake manifold already on the new motor. I also have the complete in tact uncut wiring harness. It was expensive!
Want to see some pics? 25k miles

Old 09-11-2004, 08:46 PM

uh oh, puuuurrrrttttyyy red , eh? haha jk Nice looking set up...at first i thought it was a z6. but yea, you got everything...man, grab the tools...you could have the old one out in like 4 hours.....just unbolt everything.. the part i HATE ******* with is getting the block off and back onto the tranny...well just the pressure plate, its easy to unbolt it....umm....maybe im wrong

...but it looks like your intake needs a throttle body? i dont see one....if you need one...i got one that we could use from a y7 manifold...new gasket and ****....ill let you have it for like 25$. where did you get that motor shipped from? how much you spend on it? and it CAME with the ALT and dizzy?!?! nice....looks like it came with the knock sensor too....

yours is an automatic...right?
Old 09-11-2004, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nope, 5 spd. I have a injen race division polsihed intake, throttle body ready to go on, just not pictured. Plus a few other secrets. The plan is to turbo this motor to 9 psi using the safc2 or hondata on 440's. I dont want to use the old d16y7 in any way other than to tear apart after the install of the new engine. I want to see the parts and basically learn by tearing down the old y7. Then, I may part it out. So you like the red huh? I am thinking about getting a airbrush kit, and painting custom designs on valve covers just for fun. Well see.
Old 09-11-2004, 09:05 PM

if your looking at hondata...your gonna be throwing out some $$$$ honestly....why not just use the y7 exaust manifold until you get the motor in and running....then after you get it together and runing...then you can grab you a new one...but since you plan on throwing some kind of blower on that ******...why dont you just save that extra $$ your gonna spend on a y8 exaust and use it for a turbo, or missing link, or FMIC, oil lines, tapped oil pan (you can always do it yourself) or a down pipe, or a FMU, or intercooler pipes? lol no need to spend money on something that is going to come off in a while. ive been runing an old y8 exaust with like 3 ******* cracks in it, but i just keep driving it because i know it wont **** it up, plus im saving for my turbo install. i just need the blue box and down pipe...IC pipes too...
Old 09-11-2004, 09:39 PM

lol i guess no one has any input on this...perhaps i actually know what im talking about? i haven't heard anyone disagree .......???
Old 09-11-2004, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol, I know what I'm doing. I got all the turbo parts listed and ready to order I just need the money. Will be using a t3 .42/.48 turbo with log manifold with kteller 2.25 in. charge piping and jrc fmic. Stealthmode oil line, etc etc. need the new engine first.
Old 09-12-2004, 01:49 AM

what is a long manifold? do you mean you want to keep your ac? get a smaller turbo
Old 09-12-2004, 05:16 AM

ahhh my father is going down there tommarow... i LOVE D-series motors..... i've already got a z6 which i'm happy with but i wanna do a All motor Z6 Build....

Modified by hondainspired at 8:08 AM 9/12/2004
Old 09-12-2004, 08:45 AM

Default Re: (hondainspired)

EX and DX Axels are the same.

my firend is runing a ex motor with his DX axels just fine.
Old 09-12-2004, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Quad-Damge)

thanks for clarifying that Quad, I was thinking the same thing.

Running a smaller turbo wiont guarantee a working ac system. Finding a compatible manifold will.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:25 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 6gcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks for clarifying that Quad, I was thinking the same thing.

Running a smaller turbo wiont guarantee a working ac system. Finding a compatible manifold will.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I DID NOT say the smaller turbo would let you keep the ac, a smaller turbo WILL have less lag...that is what i was talking about. I just didnt explain....i figured you would know what i ment....
Quad, i always thought that ex axels were a little longer, but i never used them....good looking out because i didnt know. i always got ex axels....
Old 09-12-2004, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was being a smartass, forgive me! i am at work today and am NOT happy about it
Old 09-13-2004, 02:35 AM

I feel that, I JUST got off of work (3rd shift Sunday- Thursday)
Old 09-13-2004, 05:44 AM

then comes the S2 top-end internals, cam, and cam gear... and some dyno tuning... and you gotta quick car...
Old 09-13-2004, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hondainspired)

Damn! And I thought the turbo would take care of the slow car&gt; Quick car transformation! Guess not. So top end, cam and dyno? That might be a little much for bottom end stock internals, or I could just turn the boost down because theoretically after all that work I would be making more power per pound of boost meaning 6psi (as example) would get me the performace the 9 would have given me without all the work being done. Hope that makes sense. It does in my head!!
Old 09-14-2004, 02:44 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 6gcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Damn! And I thought the turbo would take care of the slow car&gt; Quick car transformation! Guess not. So top end, cam and dyno? That might be a little much for bottom end stock internals, or I could just turn the boost down because theoretically after all that work I would be making more power per pound of boost meaning 6psi (as example) would get me the performace the 9 would have given me without all the work being done. Hope that makes sense. It does in my head!! </TD></TR></TABLE>
Exactly, but I seriously doubt you will have that fast of a car with just a more agressive cam, cam gear (will be useless if you dont use a dyno to adjust) and new valves/springs. maybe a whopping 25 hp. and to get that 25hp your going to spend.....$$$??? now that **** will help a lot for when a blower comes in. A stock SOHC y8 can't handle more than 220whp on stock internals (thats boosted) ....I know if you have aftermarket top-end internals...it won't improve as dramatically as a B series motor will. But after your swap and after you save money, it would be a good idea to get the cam and gear. (dynoed) cam will help it pull a lot harder...
note* a lot of people don't recommend using a turbo charged vtec for everyday driving and drag racing...something about the durability factor. Do we even have a ******* place to dyno cars around here in Louisville? I have NEVER heard of one. Not around here .....if you know somewhere...let me know. I need to tune mine after i throw on my blower.
Old 09-14-2004, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah there is a good dyno here in town. Its downtown. I cant remember the name right now but if you go to 502streetscene.net and search there it is.

180-200whp is fast enough for me!! I dont do drag strips or any of that. To me, the whole point of upgrading the car and turboing it is to have fun on the back roads. I just want to have fun in the car and not really care what 1/4 mile times it runs. This 106hp just isnt cutting it!
Old 09-15-2004, 02:46 AM

&lt;&lt;To me, the whole point of upgrading the car and turboing it is to have fun on the back roads. &gt;&gt;

haha that's exactly what i want to turbo mine for. Well that and for passing on the highway. If your in a F150, and need to pass...you press the gass and you move. if your in a civic and need to pass (already doing 70mph) you press the gas...and you pretty much just make some noise ....don't advance any further. sucks huh. damn, this thread has been alive for a while now. I'm going to check that dyno out. do you know how much their pulls cost ?

Quick Reply: d16y7 > d16y8 swap