Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

D16 Engine Mods

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 03:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D16 Engine Mods

Hey everyone. I've got a 1994 EH9 Honda Civic Sedan, 1.6L VTEC. I'm looking at what mods I can do to get the most power out of the civic. I'm looking for everything besides a turbo, because laws in my state won't allow someone my age to have a turbo. So far all I've done is a new exhaust system, headers all the way back.
My next plans so far is a Skunk2 intake manifold and 70mm throttle body, cold air intake, and I've got an aftermarket ECU from a 1.8L CRX running Chrome software which I plan to get tuned to the civic after engine mods have been done.
Any other suggestions would be great. Thanks.
Old 09-19-2015, 07:39 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts
Default Re: D16 Engine Mods

turbo charge it.
Old 09-19-2015, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Please start by paying a visit to this forum's FAQs sticky, where many of your questions will be answered.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:09 AM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<p>
Originally Posted by mrobson70
Hey everyone. I've got a 1994 EH9 Honda Civic Sedan, 1.6L VTEC. I'm looking at what mods I can do to get the most power out of the civic. I'm looking for everything besides a turbo, because laws in my state won't allow someone my age to have a turbo. So far all I've done is a new exhaust system, headers all the way back. My next plans so far is a Skunk2 intake manifold and 70mm throttle body, cold air intake, and I've got an aftermarket ECU from a 1.8L CRX running Chrome software which I plan to get tuned to the civic after engine mods have been done. Any other suggestions would be great. Thanks.
</p><p>Don't bother with any of that. &nbsp;You'll be wasting money to not go any faster. &nbsp;Bolt ons for a D series are a comical waste of money. &nbsp;If you want to go faster, find a driving school hosted at a local track. &nbsp;Learn how to drive properly. &nbsp;Did you ever think that maybe there's a reason your locality doesn't let kids have turbochargers? &nbsp;Because the average kid is stupid, and doesn't&nbsp;have the driving experience to know how to control their car. &nbsp;The best mod for you, by far, is a driver mod.</p><p>Here ya go, I even found one for you.</p><p>http://qldraceways.com.au/sports-driving</p>
Old 09-19-2015, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Want to go faster? Have one of your buddies that has a car that actually has some ***** bump you from the back Nascar style.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Might as well sell it for something with a swap in it then turbo that. Turbo d16 under 250hp isn't too fun IMO. And after 250whp your gonna have to drop a good amount of money, to make it stable that is.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:40 AM
Fish Twig

Originally Posted by Jimi Hondrix
Want to go faster? Have one of your buddies that has a car that actually has some ***** bump you from the back Nascar style.
SHAKE N BAKE!!!!
Old 09-19-2015, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This all comes down to, like most things in life, how much money you have available to spend. If you can't go the "turbo" route, then you may want to look into a swap. Sometimes a K swapped civic is faster than a turbo'd one. But, again a K swap, all said and done, is like 4k+ and a lot of work.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:22 AM

<p>And even after a K swap, you're still sitting with just as much power as you'd have with a turbo D, if you foot the bill for a Type R K swap.</p><p>Forget about swaps. &nbsp;Forget about bolt-ons. &nbsp;Everyone saying &quot;turbo it&quot;, read the OP before throwing out the same canned answer we usually give. &nbsp;Go learn how to drive properly. &nbsp;Having a driver's license doesn't mean you actually know how to drive.</p>
Old 09-19-2015, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
<p></p><p>Don't bother with any of that. &nbsp;You'll be wasting money to not go any faster. &nbsp;Bolt ons for a D series are a comical waste of money. &nbsp;If you want to go faster, find a driving school hosted at a local track. &nbsp;Learn how to drive properly. &nbsp;Did you ever think that maybe there's a reason your locality doesn't let kids have turbochargers? &nbsp;Because the average kid is stupid, and doesn't&nbsp;have the driving experience to know how to control their car. &nbsp;The best mod for you, by far, is a driver mod.</p><p>Here ya go, I even found one for you.</p><p>QLD Raceways - Sports Driving</p>
So, you're saying that just because I'm young, I'm stupid and don't know how to drive?
I'm a pretty good driver; better than most people I know.
Old 09-19-2015, 03:00 PM
Steve at Heart

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by White_EG1
Might as well sell it for something with a swap in it then turbo that. Turbo d16 under 250hp isn't too fun IMO. And after 250whp your gonna have to drop a good amount of money, to make it stable that is.
Not sure you should be giving out life advice in tech.

So, you're saying that just because I'm young, I'm stupid and don't know how to drive?
I'm a pretty good driver; better than most people I know.
D-series is very hard to extract power minus forced induction.

70mm tbody is way to large and the skunk2 manifold is not worth it either.

If you are serious look at getting a d16y8 manifold or similar, they are a bit larger and will help carry more power through out. While doing this a 60mm stock t-body of any B18B or ITR engine is more then adequate. Adjustable cam gear and lightened flywheel 12-14lb is ideal with a decent street clutch would be next on the list.
Old 09-19-2015, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

He's saying you will get more value learning driving skills that maximize your cars potential. All the while saving for big boy mods. Really as it says in the faq section engine mods on d series maybe pretty to look at but will not net you noticeable power. That being said take time learn some ADVANCED driver skills and if you love your body style plan an engine swap. No one here is trying the pick on you they are just suggesting the best course for your situation.
I have had my car a year and a half and other than some sway bars, wheels and a short throw shifter I have only done updates to my interior until I am ready to do the engine swap I want. Either way welcome to the forum keep reading and feel free to keep asking questions. Just make sure to post in the correct place.
Old 09-19-2015, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Grant12978
Just make sure to visit the FAQs sticky ASAP
fixed
Old 09-19-2015, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Grant12978
He's saying you will get more value learning driving skills that maximize your cars potential. All the while saving for big boy mods. Really as it says in the faq section engine mods on d series maybe pretty to look at but will not net you noticeable power. That being said take time learn some ADVANCED driver skills and if you love your body style plan an engine swap. No one here is trying the pick on you they are just suggesting the best course for your situation.
I have had my car a year and a half and other than some sway bars, wheels and a short throw shifter I have only done updates to my interior until I am ready to do the engine swap I want. Either way welcome to the forum keep reading and feel free to keep asking questions. Just make sure to post in the correct place.
I'm not looking to do an engine swap. I was just wondering what mods can be done to my engine now. If it comes to engine swaps to get more power, I'd personally just be buying another car. My Honda is just a temporary project until I eventually get a V35 Skyline or 350Z. By engine mods I also mean forged pistons, injectors etc. Just want to know what people would suggest to do with my engine now, no swaps and no turbos. It's a cheap car to modify, hence the reason I'm looking at all the mods.
I'm not on here to get into an argument. It just annoys me when people comment on you're driving skills in a negative way because of your age.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Instead of making your car more powerful, why not try making it more fuel efficient? Considering this is only a "temporary" car and that you already have an idea of what you're getting next, why not just save money for your ideal car?
Old 09-19-2015, 04:30 PM

<p>
So, you're saying that just because I'm young, I'm stupid and don't know how to drive? I'm a pretty good driver; better than most people I know.
</p><p>That's exactly what I'm saying. &nbsp;You think you're a good driver. &nbsp;In reality, you aren't. &nbsp;You're just a cocky kid. &nbsp;Knock the attitude down a peg, and go learn how to drive properly. &nbsp;You will gain more from sport driving training than you will from any bolt on. &nbsp;Period. &nbsp;End of story.</p><p>
I'm not looking to do an engine swap. I was just wondering what mods can be done to my engine now. If it comes to engine swaps to get more power, I'd personally just be buying another car. My Honda is just a temporary project until I eventually get a V35 Skyline or 350Z. By engine mods I also mean forged pistons, injectors etc. Just want to know what people would suggest to do with my engine now, no swaps and no turbos. It's a cheap car to modify, hence the reason I'm looking at all the mods. I'm not on here to get into an argument. It just annoys me when people comment on you're driving skills in a negative way because of your age.
</p><p>Do you need me to say it again? &nbsp;Bolt ons won't get you a damned thing. &nbsp;Injectors won't magically make your car go faster. &nbsp;Pistons will require rods, which will require new bearings, and machine work, and all new gaskets and seals, and a tune, and...see where I'm going with this? &nbsp;You can't just toss mod 1 in and expect magic to happen. &nbsp;Mod 1 requires supporting mods 1, 2, and 3, and supporting mods 1, 2, and 3 require further supporting mods 4, 5, and 6.&nbsp; $1500+ for engine work&nbsp;to make an extra what, 40 or 50 horsepower? &nbsp;Are you daft?&nbsp;</p><p>The fact that you still haven't bothered to read the FAQ sticky further confirms your young ignorance. &nbsp;Stop thinking you're an awesome driver and a special snowflake. &nbsp;We all have much more experience with this than you do. &nbsp;We know what we're talking about. &nbsp;You came to us for advice. &nbsp;Now sit down and take our advice. &nbsp;Go read the FAQ sticky, and then accept the fact that any money you try to put into a D series to make it go faster will be a waste of money.</p>
Old 09-19-2015, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
<p></p><p>That's exactly what I'm saying. &nbsp;You think you're a good driver. &nbsp;In reality, you aren't. &nbsp;You're just a cocky kid. &nbsp;Knock the attitude down a peg, and go learn how to drive properly. &nbsp;You will gain more from sport driving training than you will from any bolt on. &nbsp;Period. &nbsp;End of story.</p><p></p><p>Do you need me to say it again? &nbsp;Bolt ons won't get you a damned thing. &nbsp;Injectors won't magically make your car go faster. &nbsp;Pistons will require rods, which will require new bearings, and machine work, and all new gaskets and seals, and a tune, and...see where I'm going with this? &nbsp;You can't just toss mod 1 in and expect magic to happen. &nbsp;Mod 1 requires supporting mods 1, 2, and 3, and supporting mods 1, 2, and 3 require further supporting mods 4, 5, and 6.&nbsp; $1500+ for engine work&nbsp;to make an extra what, 40 or 50 horsepower? &nbsp;Are you daft?&nbsp;</p><p>The fact that you still haven't bothered to read the FAQ sticky further confirms your young ignorance. &nbsp;Stop thinking you're an awesome driver and a special snowflake. &nbsp;We all have much more experience with this than you do. &nbsp;We know what we're talking about. &nbsp;You came to us for advice. &nbsp;Now sit down and take our advice. &nbsp;Go read the FAQ sticky, and then accept the fact that any money you try to put into a D series to make it go faster will be a waste of money.</p>
You're over reacting a bit to my comments... I'm sorry if I've come across the wrong way to you, but I don't see why your comments need to be so harsh. I'm not cocky, I'm really the opposite. I know I'm not an awesome driver, but I also know I'm not horrible either. Obviously I'm on here for advice. I know that 1 mod turns into many, costing more, and magic doesn't happen with one mod. To be honest, I'm only new to the street car scene. I'm a 4WD guy. I know heaps about 4WD's, and 4WD modifications. Modifying a street car like the Civic is new to me, hence the reason I posted on here. Yes, driver training would be a benefit. But I'm not looking down that road at the moment. The topic at hand was engine mods, not driver training.

Thank you for your input though.
Old 09-19-2015, 05:20 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

want to have fun with that car? 1. understand that without a snail on it, it will NEVER be fast, quick, sporty, etc. 2. focus on brake and tire upgrades. 3. autox.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:44 PM
Fish Twig

the jew charger...I heard many miracles happening every thanksgiving.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bottom line a D16 will always be a D16 no matter how much money you put into it. Basically all those "mods" are eye candy under the hood which is why you aren't getting the answer you want.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Unless you're into quarter mile runs and/or racing tools in Mustangs daddy bought for them, concentrate on the suspension and steering. Civics are low lo the ground stock and even more so if lowered so there's good times to be had in corners and winding roads in what amounts to an advanced go-kart.
Assuming (because you didn't specify) your car is stick shift learn as much about rev matching and skillful driving as NARC suggested. If you don't need the back seats..perhaps pull them out and do other things to lightened the car as much as possible. Don't necessarily need to have speed to have fun. Again, using a go-kart as a reference they're fun because their lightweight, low to the ground and a driver gets direct response from suspension and steering,
Old 09-20-2015, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=Bently_Coop;50538799]Not sure you should be giving out life advice in tech.[QUOTE]

I'm not giving life advice I'm just telling OP how it is. I wish I would have took that advice, I been in OP's shoes for a whole, but I'm not complaining.