Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

D15Z1 short block with Y8 head ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 03:41 PM
tdo
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D15Z1 short block with Y8 head ?

hey im new to SOHC motors and wanted to know if i can put a Y8 head onto a D15Z1 block.

i searched but couldnt find my answers.

i ask because i have a D15Z1 block and a friend of mines has a Y8 head he'll sell to me.

i dont really care for performance because im building a LS motor on the side, im just concerned about reliabilty issues. Will this last a while?

sorry for so many questions but i dont really work with SOHC motors much.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:43 PM

Default Re: D15Z1 short block with Y8 head ? (tdo)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1670633

talk to bense
Old 06-29-2006, 04:03 PM
tdo
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D15Z1 short block with Y8 head ? (knockout)

thnx, i also searched some more and found this another thread on it also.

just wanna know what i gotta uses for it.

Y8 head gasket and what else?

how about timing belt?
Old 06-29-2006, 04:07 PM

i dont have experience with mini-me's, i think its y8 timing belt, but i'd check around first.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:10 PM

ive done a b7/z6 mini.
i blieve you will want y8 belt and head studs or bolts
Old 06-29-2006, 04:11 PM
tdo
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D15Z1 short block with Y8 head ? (knockout)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by knockout &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont have experience with mini-me's, i think its y8 timing belt, but i'd check around first.</TD></TR></TABLE>

im checking around right now. seems like this setup isnt great for performance (but i can care less its a DD) because of the compression when you put a y8 head on.

im just concerned with what belt to uses.

i got the TB, IM, Head, y8 head gasket, not sure on the belt still.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:13 PM
tdo
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tatmark1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tatmark1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ive done a b7/z6 mini.
i blieve you will want y8 belt and head studs or bolts</TD></TR></TABLE>

thnx for the info

ill get the head studs from him too.

anything else i should know?

edit - i should be using a P28 ecu right ?
Old 06-29-2006, 04:21 PM

Default Re: (tdo)

you want the ecu that goes with the head unless converting to obd1. p28= obd1
get NEW head studs
Old 06-29-2006, 04:24 PM
tdo
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tatmark1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tatmark1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you want the ecu that goes with the head unless converting to obd1. p28= obd1
get NEW head studs</TD></TR></TABLE>

my car is obd1 so im gonna convert it, im gonna be using my chipped P72 so i can put whatever program i want on it. so i guess im gonna uses a p28 program.

thnx for the help guys
Old 06-29-2006, 05:31 PM

good luck with the build

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tdo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
seems like this setup isnt great for performance</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea but it'll last you about 300,000 miles
Old 06-29-2006, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you will lose power when you do this. compression drops from 9.2:1 to like 7.8:1 just buy a swap.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:38 PM

Default Re: (schardbody)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by schardbody &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you will lose power when you do this. compression drops from 9.2:1 to like 7.8:1 just buy a swap.</TD></TR></TABLE>
he can just buy some higher compression pistons for about the same price as OEM.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (knockout)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by knockout &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">he can just buy some higher compression pistons for about the same price as OEM.</TD></TR></TABLE>

really, name what piston works in the z1, i know what works, and there is 1 piston that will work, but i bet you dont know what. and in my opinion, a swap is easier than a bottom end build, for a beginner atleast. less can go wrong. and in a bottom end build (swap) if something goes wrong he will be swapping the motor anyways.

dont waste time on the z1, just swap it. oh and look at my SIG, if you want to know more just ask.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:54 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by schardbody &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

really, name what piston works in the z1, i know what works, and there is 1 piston that will work, but i bet you dont know what.</TD></TR></TABLE>
lets not play the "who knows more?" game

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by schardbody &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">in my opinion, a swap is easier than a bottom end build
</TD></TR></TABLE>
no question, but maybe he just wants to get his hands dirty.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by schardbody &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oh and look at my SIG, if you want to know more just ask.</TD></TR></TABLE>
how was that drift competition with your civic?
Old 06-29-2006, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (knockout)

i wasnt saying i know more, but you give a suggestion of a piston swap, which i garentee he doesnt want to have to pay to have the 12.5:1 combination tuned. in my opinion messing w/ the internals of a z1 is point blank retarded (with the exception of what bense is doing because its actually going to be a D16 bottom end and fully tuned, not just a mini me/piston swap thrown in w/ a p28). period.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:57 PM
tdo
Honda-Tech Member

maybe you didnt read what i wrote earlyer.

im doing this for a daily driver and i can care less for performance.

I already got a z1 block, ex/si tranny, and a friend of mines has a y8 head so why not do it and save some money. i dont wanna spend money on a swap if i dont have to.

like i said before i have a LS block im building on the side for boost. This motor is just for daily driving.

thnx for the help though. i dont really mess with d series, only B and H.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thats all fine and dandy, but have fun driving that 7.8:1 compression motor daily. you know stock tune isnt going to run it, NO oem tune will. you will be uber rich across the board on a p2p bin or a p28 bin, and lean on a p07 bin. just sounds like a waste of time, effort, money, to me. but its your time, money, effort, so whatever.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:06 PM
tdo
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by schardbody &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thats all fine and dandy, but have fun driving that 7.8:1 compression motor daily. you know stock tune isnt going to run it, NO oem tune will. you will be uber rich across the board on a p2p bin or a p28 bin, and lean on a p07 bin. just sounds like a waste of time, effort, money, to me. but its your time, money, effort, so whatever.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i also have a wideband, so ill just street tune it. happy?
Old 06-30-2006, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you dont have to make me happy, im just trying to save you all the time and effort.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:50 PM
tdo
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by schardbody &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you dont have to make me happy, im just trying to save you all the time and effort.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thnx for the help though. gave me some good info

i just dont wanna spend money on a sohc swap when im gonna be boosting a built ls motor later on anyways.

as long as this freak show of a mini me im doing last me a good while and is reliable then thats all that matters
Old 06-30-2006, 02:03 PM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Re: (tdo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tdo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

thnx for the help though. gave me some good info

i just dont wanna spend money on a sohc swap when im gonna be boosting a built ls motor later on anyways.

as long as this freak show of a mini me im doing last me a good while and is reliable then thats all that matters </TD></TR></TABLE>

have fun with the p28 and p2p maps.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:07 PM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Re: (Bense)

oh yeah, and when you get confused on the headbolt to use near the vtec solenoid:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1635057
Old 06-30-2006, 02:54 PM
tdo
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bense)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

have fun with the p28 and p2p maps. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i got a wideband, ill street tune it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oh yeah, and when you get confused on the headbolt to use near the vtec solenoid:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1635057</TD></TR></TABLE>

thnx that was very helpfull.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

seriously man, tune aside, you really want to drive around w/ less than 70whp???? MPG will be crazy low, probably less than 30mpg, and your car isnt going to get out its own way. im only trying to help you from making a huge mistake. so dont take all this the wrong way.

there probably isnt many people on this board that know more about the z1 and D series in general than me and bense, take that for what its worth.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:30 PM
tdo
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by schardbody &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">seriously man, tune aside, you really want to drive around w/ less than 70whp???? MPG will be crazy low, probably less than 30mpg, and your car isnt going to get out its own way. im only trying to help you from making a huge mistake. so dont take all this the wrong way.

there probably isnt many people on this board that know more about the z1 and D series in general than me and bense, take that for what its worth.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok, ok.

i also got a d15b i got from someone but i think it has a blown head gasket. the thermostat and everywhere where there was a coolant hoses theres orange stuff.

would i need to resurface or can i just put on a head gasket and go from there.

Quick Reply: D15Z1 short block with Y8 head ?