Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

D15B7 valves - osvat, muzimo, ITM, sealed power, DNJ, or what? i wanna order tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 09:59 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default D15B7 valves - osvat, muzimo, ITM, sealed power, DNJ, or what? i wanna order tomorrow

U guys know me and my shot out d15b7 head. I'm fixing it in the mean time so I can get my new inspection sticker, and start fixin' leaky.

what valves should I get? Them OSVAT are everywhere on the net. And sealed power claims all sorta of fancy extra **** like chrome and nitrided coatings. Muzimo sells all 16 valves for 100$ shipped. Beck arnley is about the same price, but I haven't been happy with their stuff before. They all seem sorta crappy though. I want some solid middle of the line stuff, not badass stuff, not Chinese crap.

I'm trying to spend less than 200$ on the valves, I gotta buy a timing belt kit, gasket overhaul kit, oil pan, helicoils, a few other things.. I would rather not spend much on this engine, I wanna get into dat vtec lyf bwwaaaa. Not that I'm driving around an EH9 atm or anything
Old 04-08-2014, 10:11 PM
GDD Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: osvat, muzimo, ITM, sealed power, DNJ, or what? i wanna order tomorrow

I order Subaru **** from Mizumo all the time, I didn't know they sold Honda stuff.

I'd just go there if they have them, it's cheap, it's super fast delivery, and the parts work fine.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:19 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: osvat, muzimo, ITM, sealed power, DNJ, or what? i wanna order tomorrow

Originally Posted by slomofo
I order Subaru **** from Mizumo all the time, I didn't know they sold Honda stuff.

I'd just go there if they have them, it's cheap, it's super fast delivery, and the parts work fine.
you've used their engine components before? I dont need to replace valves again in a few months. Ima do an oil cooler to hopefully prevent further problems, but I'd rather spend a lil more coin now to save myself from buying **** again later.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:47 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I just looked on their site, looks better than it did on eBay. But they have terribly mixed reviews, some people claim their experience was OK. Many people claim their parts didn't fit, mostly gasket sets.

im getting felpro gaskets, maybe cometic if it doesn't cost much more, if they even sell 1.5 crap..

I just want some good, middle of the line valves. My seats actually look okay buy ima grind em. I'm gonna do a 5 angle valve grind on my valves too. And prolly port the ports with extra port.

Last edited by P-M-B,93EXsedan; 04-08-2014 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:51 PM
GDD Member

I use their Subaru valves all the time. I do Subaru head gaskets at least once a week. I'm in Utah, they're in California so I usually get parts within 24 hours of ordering too. Since you're in jersey and they use FedEx it'll probably take 3 days but the price makes it well worth it.

Check the valves in a valve grinder prior to seating though. I've purchased well over 200 valves from that company but always check them and had ONE valve that was bent straight out of the box. It was a one time occurrence but still worth the ten minutes to check all your valves.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:06 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I use their Subaru valves all the time. I do Subaru head gaskets at least once a week. I'm in Utah, they're in California so I usually get parts within 24 hours of ordering too. Since you're in jersey and they use FedEx it'll probably take 3 days but the price makes it well worth it.

Check the valves in a valve grinder prior to seating though. I've purchased well over 200 valves from that company but always check them and had ONE valve that was bent straight out of the box. It was a one time occurrence but still worth the ten minutes to check all your valves.
that's a worthwhile review if I have ever read one, and 85$ retail is badass.

what do you think about my guides? If they're bad where should I get those? I didnt get that far yet in my quest for cheap and effective parts.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:47 PM
GDD Member

What happened to your head that makes you think the guides could have damage?

Guides don't typically go bad. I rarely replace guides and when I do, I buy them from machine shops locally. I have no clue where they source them from. I typically buy guides, piston rings, and engine bearings from machine shops and let them choose the proper sizes because I'm not set up to press in guides, bore cylinders, align hone blocks, or recondition rods.

Sent from my Nokia 5190 using IB AutoGroup
Old 04-09-2014, 10:28 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

What happened to your head that makes you think the guides could have damage?

Guides don't typically go bad. I rarely replace guides and when I do, I buy them from machine shops locally. I have no clue where they source them from. I typically buy guides, piston rings, and engine bearings from machine shops and let them choose the proper sizes because I'm not set up to press in guides, bore cylinders, align hone blocks, or recondition rods.

Sent from my Nokia 5190 using IB AutoGroup
I dont think they're actually bad, I turned the cam over like 50 times and they all move fine. I'm just trying to plan ahead, trying to have the car fixed in the next two weeks
Old 04-09-2014, 10:37 AM
GDD Member

If everything moves fine, why are you replacing the valves?

Pull the cam out, set the head on it's side, then pour some mineral spirits into each of the intake ports. Flip the head over and do the same thing for the exhaust ports.

Do you see fluid coming out of your valves? If not, then I would just send it to a machine shop for a good cleaning, resurfacing, then replace the valve seals. No need to spend money where it isn't needed.

If your valves leak, pull them out of the head and check to see if they're bent. If not bent, do a 3 angle valve job and put em back in the head.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:15 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

If everything moves fine, why are you replacing the valves?

Pull the cam out, set the head on it's side, then pour some mineral spirits into each of the intake ports. Flip the head over and do the same thing for the exhaust ports.

Do you see fluid coming out of your valves? If not, then I would just send it to a machine shop for a good cleaning, resurfacing, then replace the valve seals. No need to spend money where it isn't needed.

If your valves leak, pull them out of the head and check to see if they're bent. If not bent, do a 3 angle valve job and put em back in the head.
cyl #3 has cracked exhaust valves, and they're all quite brittle. The intake valves aren't in any better condition, pretty much all of the exhaust valves look like they have stress fractures. They move fine, but that's about it. The valves themselves look like they went thru hell.

I hope I dont end up needing to replace more than the valves and re-seal the head. My block is actually perfect, but the head needs help. None of them have any leakage except cyl #3. But I feel like if they're starting to break its time to replace em all

Last edited by P-M-B,93EXsedan; 04-09-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:09 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: D15B7 valves - osvat, muzimo, ITM, sealed power, DNJ, or what? i wanna order tomo

bump for more advice plz guys.

p.s. thx slowpoke