Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

D15b throttle lag?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D15b throttle lag?

I have a jdm d15b swapped 95 ex been running this swap for about 5 months has I/H/E and running on usdm p28 ecu. Ever since the swap the throttle response has been a little laggy up until 2.5k you can feel it, see it in the gauge, and hear it in the exhaust. Even if you floor it it still lags, it hasn't really bothered me but I'm just wondering what can be causing this. Do you think its the p28 fuel maps? It passed smog/emissions well and has new o2 sensor also. Do you think if I chip it it will run better? Any input is good. Thanks -ejoner
Old 11-18-2007, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: D15b throttle lag? (ejoner)

Bump cuz my **** is the same !!! And i want to hear a answer! By the way Ejoner what tranny you running?Im changing mine with a Si one hopefully thats whats been giving me lag
Old 11-18-2007, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ejoner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a jdm d15b swapped 95 ex been running this swap for about 5 months has I/H/E and running on usdm p28 ecu. Ever since the swap the throttle response has been a little laggy up until 2.5k you can feel it, see it in the gauge, and hear it in the exhaust. Even if you floor it it still lags, it hasn't really bothered me but I'm just wondering what can be causing this. Do you think its the p28 fuel maps? It passed smog/emissions well and has new o2 sensor also. Do you think if I chip it it will run better? Any input is good. Thanks -ejoner</TD></TR></TABLE>

I had the same problem, but this only happened when I switched out my dizzy, because it died on me. I fixed this by adjusting my ignition timing. It was off a couple of degrees.

mortificationrock hows the lighten flywheel and clutch. Did you notice a major difference with your flywheel. Horsepower wise.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D15b throttle lag? (adobospoon)

Well my car takes of good !!! Really wont know till i finish changing my tranny then i definately will notice! I currently have the long as LX tranny But yeah they are awsome the only reason im running a Stage3 clutch is im boosting my car early January and didnt want o end up buying another clutch since i replaced everything when i did my swap! Light Flywheel FTW
Old 11-18-2007, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D15b throttle lag? (mortificationrock)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mortificationrock &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well my car takes of good !!! Really wont know till i finish changing my tranny then i definately will notice! I currently have the long as LX tranny But yeah they are awsome the only reason im running a Stage3 clutch is im boosting my car early January and didnt want o end up buying another clutch since i replaced everything when i did my swap! Light Flywheel FTW </TD></TR></TABLE>

I thought long gearing is good for turbo, but yeah the LX gearing are long. Quick question. Where did you swap in the d15b? Was it an ex, vx, lx. Let me know. Needing help on wiring my o2 sensor. I have a vx and tried to convert it to a 4 wire. Im not sure if I still have to pin a wire to the ecu or are all the wires there from the 5 wire o2.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adobospoon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I thought long gearing is good for turbo, but yeah the LX gearing are long. Quick question. Where did you swap in the d15b? Was it an ex, vx, lx. Let me know. Needing help on wiring my o2 sensor. I have a vx and tried to convert it to a 4 wire. Im not sure if I still have to pin a wire to the ecu or are all the wires there from the 5 wire o2.</TD></TR></TABLE>Well actually i swapped it into a LX! And cant you just buy a 4wire sensor? If not i think you should be able to wire it,i would just buy a complete ex engine harness if its too much hassle
Old 11-18-2007, 11:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D15b throttle lag? (mortificationrock)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mortificationrock &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well actually i swapped it into a LX! And cant you just buy a 4wire sensor? If not i think you should be able to wire it,i would just buy a complete ex engine harness if its too much hassle </TD></TR></TABLE>

haha yeah I was thinking about doing that. Its much easier. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:08 PM

I'm running the ex/si tranny and I'm not saying take off is slow due to the tranny. I'm just saying that throttle response isn't really there before 2.5k and I doubt thats the way it should be.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ejoner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm running the ex/si tranny and I'm not saying take off is slow due to the tranny. I'm just saying that throttle response isn't really there before 2.5k and I doubt thats the way it should be.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok well im telling you it could either be your ignition timing or maybe your throttle cable is lose, you should tighten it.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:20 PM

Wrong ECU there killer. Yopu need a P08 ECU. Even if you have p08 maps on the p28 it will not run correctly due to the o2 sensor being a 1 wire. Quit half assing it and get the right ECU from Hmotors.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:21 PM

it is your timing so buy a cam gear and get that timing set perfect!!!! the adjustable cam gear makes it way easier to set timing LOL i had same problem!!! do you have any CEL's
Old 11-19-2007, 02:28 PM

BTW. I swapped this same motor into my del sol. I have no CEL and I'm running a p08 ecu. My engine runs flawlessly and my throttle response is instant with zero problems.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D15b throttle lag? (BUDtoker)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BUDtoker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it is your timing so buy a cam gear and get that timing set perfect!!!! the adjustable cam gear makes it way easier to set timing LOL i had same problem!!! do you have any CEL's</TD></TR></TABLE>

Im sure you don't need to buy a cam gear in order to set your timing to stock. Just get a timing light and play with your dizzy. There is 3 bolts. Loosen them up and adjust your timing there. Make sure you are before 16 degrees.

here is a diy http://www.g2ic.com/tegtips/engine/7.html
Old 11-19-2007, 02:41 PM

Now that I think about it more. You know that when you adjust your timming that you have to jump the ECU while adjusting it right?

Maybe you need to adjust your idle air screw. Your tach should read 750rpms with the IACV unplugged when you adjust it. Dont forget to reset your ECU after adjusting it too.

OR...You may need to adjust your TPS. I cant explain that on here. You'll just have to buy a haynes manual and do it.

Another thought. Bleed your coolant system and check for vaccume leaks. If your coolant is real low your car will run like ***.

My money is on the ECU thing though.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:49 PM

Default Re: (Bejita)

Lol, I work at a shop and did this swap myself and have done other swaps also. I know how to adjust timing and its dead on. How is a one wire o2 going to make the engine run better? All the o2 sensor does is give the ecu a voltage. weather its 1/4/5 wire they all do the same thing. Having the throttle cable loose will not give you lag up until 2.5k ROFL you will just have extra play in the pedal before the rpms even move. Whats the point in an adjustable cam gear if the motor is almost stock with no milling of the head or anything, I'm setting it to stock specs lol. Your probably going to say why not go with a p08 ecu? I live in cali and my car has to pass emissions/smog. Sooner or later I'm just gonna buy a chipping kit from phearable.net and see if that fixes it. If not what ever.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ejoner)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ejoner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Lol, I work at a shop and did this swap myself and have done other swaps also. I know how to adjust timing and its dead on. How is a one wire o2 going to make the engine run better? All the o2 sensor does is give the ecu a voltage. weather its 1/4/5 wire they all do the same thing. Having the throttle cable loose will not give you lag up until 2.5k ROFL you will just have extra play in the pedal before the rpms even move. Whats the point in an adjustable cam gear if the motor is almost stock with no milling of the head or anything, I'm setting it to stock specs lol. Your probably going to say why not go with a p08 ecu? I live in cali and my car has to pass emissions/smog. Sooner or later I'm just gonna buy a chipping kit from phearable.net and see if that fixes it. If not what ever.</TD></TR></TABLE>

im not to sure what else to tell you, I have the exact same swap, but on a vx, Im running on a stock p28. I never had this problem till i switched out my dizzy, but i guess if you have to chip it then so be it. Im not to sure if that will help. Good luck though!
Old 11-19-2007, 07:42 PM

Well on D-series.org there are a whole bunch of guys running P08 ECU's who live in cali and managed to pass....go figure.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bejita)

Yea im also running a D15b with a p28 and i have this same lag. &gt;&lt; Sometimes i have to rev the motor up to 2-2.5 rpms to get a smooth take off.