Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

D15B Swap Cranks and Turns over but wont fire

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D15B Swap Cranks and Turns over but wont fire

Is it possible for the timing to be off? it starts and cranks over and sometimes acts like it fires but wont stay on i guess u can say. Using a VX Harness. The following are not hooked up V-tec pressure switch ,v-tec solenoid and o2 sensor
Old 12-24-2006, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D15B Swap Cranks and Turns over but wont fire (92EG8)

Sorry was in a rush to post that let me make my problem more clearer.I just swapped in a running D15B from a(VX Hatch) motor into my 92 Civic LX SDN. I used the harness it came with (VX harness im guessing has a 1 wire o2 sensor but no v-tec wiring CX possibly?). Well I just finished my swap everything is connected. Fuel lines, radiator lines, etc. I have no loose hosing or anything. Only thing I do not have plugged in is V-TEC Solenoid...Pressure Switch and the O2 Sensor(because the harness has 1 Wire and I have a 4 wire O2 how can i solve this)?. Basically I tried starting my car with open headers....I tried with my stcok P06 computer the motor cranks and turns over and feels like it comes on for a second and off the next.So I was guessing maybe the ECU fuel maps are messed up. So threw in the P28 same thing again as the P06. There are no leaks...anywhere so everythingmust be connected. my car right now is sitting on two jacks pretty high off the ground. and i have just a little bit above the E. THE ONLy thing that was removed from the engine was the distributor. So I know the timing is off on that .but cam timing wasn't touch. Could a distributor timing cause the engine not to start at all?
Old 12-24-2006, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When i mean it fires the engine makes a popping sound not repeatedly but after every2-5 seconds in different orders(start up sound with open header)
Old 12-24-2006, 03:32 PM

First things first. Are you getting spark? What about fuel? Those two are really essential if you know what I mean. When you turn the key to the on position do you hear the fuel pump priming? If I am remembering right there is a valve on the fuel rail that you can press (like a tire valve?) to see if you have fuel pressure.

Pull a plug out of the motor and take a look at it. Sooty, wet with fuel, burnt looking? When was the last time a tune-up was done?

While the plug is out put it in it's wire and with it dark out turn the motor over. What color is the spark? Is there spark?

If there is spark what color is it? Orangy could mean that your coil is weak.

No spark? Check your ignition control module. (Manual for this). Check the cap and rotor for corrosion.

Sorry it's not that much, but mayber it's a start.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok im almost postitive i hear my fuel priming .Spark unsure of! I will take out the spark plug see how it looks . Last time a tune-up was done is unknown I just bought the motor!.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:49 PM

Understandable.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

But like I said motor came off the car running. The only thing we removed and put back the distributor so I KNOW for sure the timing is off. But does the Distributor Timing make a engine NOT start? or No matter were the timing may be on the distributor it will start? Because if the distributor timing sometimes not allow a car to start thats my problem. 99% sure just trying to see what people have done
Old 12-24-2006, 04:04 PM

Yea, it can cause it not to start.

Also, check all the fuses. Even the ones under the hood. Might be a another thought.
Old 12-24-2006, 04:31 PM

Default Re: (92EG8)

i know that this probably isn't it but i recently got really pissed at my car and solved the problem, i have a d15b in my civic and ever since i put it in my 2 door from my 4 door it has been some what unreliable, it would do that start but die crap your talking about. well what happened was whenever you turn the key to battery or whatever you hear a humm for like 8 seconds or so and that is the fuel pump running to build up enough fuel pressure in the line, well anyways there is a relay (main fuel relay) that runs that and it was bad so the fuel pump would turn on once every like 30 tries (EXTREMELY ANNOYING) so i finally went to the junk yard and got one and put it in and it fires up everytime.

again probably not the issue but hey i hope it is cause then it would mean i helped fix it
Old 12-24-2006, 05:08 PM

your spark plug wires are in the wrong firing order on the dizzy cap..
Old 12-24-2006, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm i dunno im pretty sure i got them right

1 4
2 Thats how i got them so they must be right? Also im gonna go ahead and do some fuse checking and im gonna change the harness to a B7 Harness because 1 wire o2 sensor is rediculous!.
Old 12-24-2006, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So timing on the distributor side will cause a engine not too start?
Old 12-25-2006, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump anyone else ?
Old 12-25-2006, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default UPDATED INFO FOUND!!! Maybe Gas?

Ok well today I checked all fuses as everyone said to do . ALL had spark seemed in good condition. I smelled for gas had a weak scent of it . I tried cranking it after checking spark plugs and fire order (which is still correct). Nothing now it wont pop at all. SO SINCE MY FUEL GAUGE IS PRETTY MUCH READIN EMPTY. I sprayed WD-40 down Cylinder 1 with the spark plug off then I put some on the spark plug tip and put it in (WD-40 acts just like Carb Cleaner...Starter Fluid) Cranked the key boom it popped.. So I`m guess if I got Air,Spark Its missing fuel and my car is sitting unleveled (FRONT HIGH OF GROUND ,BACK ON FLOOR). Im guessing I reall am out of gas??? So im gonna fill up the tank with about two gallons and see what results I get.
Old 12-25-2006, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 12-26-2006, 07:48 AM

hopefully its that simple, waiting to find out....
Old 12-26-2006, 09:03 AM

Default Re: UPDATED INFO FOUND!!! Maybe Gas? (92EG8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92EG8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> SO SINCE MY FUEL GAUGE IS PRETTY MUCH READIN EMPTY. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You made this big long post and this whole time there is a possibility that your out of gas? wow
Old 12-26-2006, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That possibility is elminated...I put about two gallons in and nothing it popped here there but nothing... i tried changing the firing order....a little bit more pops here and there but of course it wasnt gonna start cuhz it was the wrong firing order....so whats causing it not to start?
Old 12-27-2006, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone help further diagnosis this..Well The only things that I think is keeping it from starting is the Distributor (Timing since the distributor was removed and then reinstalled) or the CX/VX Harness the engine has going to my 92 Civic LX Chassis(maybe not all the pinout match? Anyone who knows about the (orignal)harness can that really affect my car from starting? I was thinking of putting my B7 harness and giving it a try
Old 12-27-2006, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Up need some help
Old 12-27-2006, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 12-27-2006, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the distributor timing would not keep the car from starting, no matter if you retard or advance the timing. first ill see if you sparking by pulling out a spark plug along with the spark plug wire and grounding it to see if it sparks. if it doesnt, i would think its the ignitor or coil inside the distributor.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Laosakademiks)

also the firing order is 1,3,4,2
1 being top left
3 being top right
4 being bottom right
2 being bottom left
Old 12-27-2006, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah firing order is right....and there is spark in every spark plug.. and spark plug wire
Old 12-27-2006, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

did you say your fuel pump was turning on? when you put the key on the on position do you hear a noise, or do you see you check engine light come on then go away?..if not its fuel problem

and if its not a fuel problem, i would think theres a blown fuse somewhere

Quick Reply: D15B Swap Cranks and Turns over but wont fire