Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

d15b engine trouble

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default d15b engine trouble

recently swapped my 95 civic to another d15 now it wont start i have fuel but not sure if maybe the dizzy is bad when i try to fire it up it has a high pitched sound almost like when you take plugs out to build oil pressure any ideas? Motor came out of a runnin car only thing I've changed was the fuel rail injectors an dizzy all from my previous motor

Last edited by HondaMike2112; 07-06-2019 at 06:57 AM.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Re: d15b engine trouble

Spinning like there is no compression suggests that-- well the new engine may have no compression. Check the cam timing and do a compression test. Always disconnect the harness plugs from the distributor while performing a compression test.
The following users liked this post:
Old 07-05-2019, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 328 Likes on 308 Posts

Cranking that sounds like no compression also could be due to cylinders flooding with fuel.

Also check for bright white spark at the plugs.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cylinders flooding with fuel increases compression, it doesn't remove compression. Therefore if it is whining like it has no compression either the timing belt is broken, the head gasket is completely blown or the engine simply has no compression due to broken rods/pistons/valves/etc.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jimster480
Cylinders flooding with fuel increases compression, it doesn't remove compression.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not sure why you think this is funny?
The motor will not be turning over faster because the cylinders are filled with fuel.
its quite the contrary and you can hydrolock an engine with fuel.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:47 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Old 07-06-2019, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The motor will not be turning over faster because the cylinders are filled with fuel.
its quite the contrary and you can hydrolock an engine with fuel.
Thanks for adding some comic relief to this otherwise boring forum.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like as if you took the plugs out to build oil pressure in the head on a fresh build if that makes any sense thanks for the tips as well.
Old 07-06-2019, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by muellersfan
Thanks for not knowing how engines work. It adds facepalm with the side of comic relief.
If you really are unable to understand how engines work; please read up before posting incorrect information in the future.
Originally Posted by HondaMike2112
sounds like as if you took the plugs out to build oil pressure in the head on a fresh build if that makes any sense thanks for the tips as well.
The engine has no compression then.
Either the timing belt is broken or the valves do not seal or there is something else wrong (rods / pistons broken, crank severed, starter not touching flywheel, etc)

Are you sure the engine is actually turning over when you turn the key? I would check that first before checking into the other possible engine problems.
If you see the crank pulley turning over then I would check the cam pulley and see if it is also turning over. If both are turning over then there is catastrophic engine failure either in the head or block.
Old 07-06-2019, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cylinders flooding with fuel increases compression, it doesn't remove compression..
Thanks for not knowing how engines work.
Old 07-06-2019, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not sure why you think your lack of knowledge is funny.

In all honesty; you need to read up.
Old 07-06-2019, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the same issue i Just needed to change the distribute
Old 07-06-2019, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not sure why you think your lack of knowledge is funny.

In all honesty; you need to read up.

Please keep the comedy coming!
Old 07-06-2019, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Distributor will not lower or raise the compression of your engine.
It can just not start because the distributor is bad, but if the engine is making a high pitched whine then it is one of the things I said above.
Old 07-06-2019, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rolento316
I had the same issue i Just needed to change the distribute
And it fired right up?
Old 07-06-2019, 06:18 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Cylinders flooding with fuel increases compression, it doesn't remove compression. Therefore if it is whining like it has no compression either the timing belt is broken, the head gasket is completely blown or the engine simply has no compression due to broken rods/pistons/valves/etc.
This is incorrect.

Fuel washes the oil film away, it's this oil film that seals the rings and creates compression.

Yes you can hydro lock the motor if enough fuel is flooded in but most flooding isn't severe enough to hydro lock but is bad enough to reduce compression.

https://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/so...flooded-engine

Originally Posted by ericthecarguy
There is something else that can cause a loss of compression that does not involve a mechanical failure. Your cylinders can actually lose compression due to too much fuel getting into the cylinder; this is referred to as flooding. This washes the oil away from the cylinder walls, so the piston rings can’t seal. When you try to start an engine with this condition, it spins very fast and doesn't sound normal at all. It sounds like it has no compression.
It's also stated by knowledgeable people on the rotory forums and other spots if you do enough research.

I do apologize that muellersfan isn't very tolerant of misinformation and can be very obtuse in teachings or the lack thereof but he is usually pretty accurate in what he states. I can count his errors on one hand in all the years I've known him.

If anything, you may wish to start double checking your knowledge before posting misinformation.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TomCat39
This is incorrect.

Fuel washes the oil film away, it's this oil film that seals the rings and creates compression.

Yes you can hydro lock the motor if enough fuel is flooded in but most flooding isn't severe enough to hydro lock but is bad enough to reduce compression.

https://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/so...flooded-engine

It's also stated by knowledgeable people on the rotory forums and other spots if you do enough research.

I do apologize that muellersfan isn't very tolerant of misinformation and can be very obtuse in teachings or the lack thereof but he is usually pretty accurate in what he states. I can count his errors on one hand in all the years I've known him.

If anything, you may wish to start double checking your knowledge before posting misinformation.
While a bit of fuel can cause compression to lower.... I've never seen an engine sound like it has no compression due to fuel.
Rotaries are different because they do not have valves. Therefore when you flood a rotary engine it does affect the apex seals and it just spins around and sounds very different than it normally would.

Otherwise I can tell you that in all my years of building Honda's (especially D series engines)... I have never encountered a time where the engine sounded like it had no compression due to fuel in the cylinders.
I've gone through ECU failures.... fpr failure and ICM failures so.... the cylinders of my civic especially have been flooded with fuel more times than I have fingers to count.
Never once did it sound like it didn't have compression.

Now I can tell you that after blowing the head gasket (on high boost) it did sound like it didn't have compression (because it didn't).... and One time my timing belt was completely off timing and it sounded like it only had compression on every 5th stroke in one cylinder....

Otherwise no; I haven't ever experienced a piston engine sounding like it has no compression due to fuel. It can sound like it has reduced compression (because it does) but a "high pitched whine" as the OP suggested has never personally happened to me or anyone I know. Fuel simply doesn't reduce the compression that much and as I said originally.... if you keep flooding the cylinder with fuel it will eventually lock up as there will be nowhere for the fuel to go.

My friends father did buy an RX-8 one time with a "blown engine" that turned out to be flooded with fuel because the engine sounded like it had no compression.
They brought the RX-8 to a mechanic who told them the engine was blown and decided to sell the car for cheap. My friend and his dad knew rotaries and suspected this problem.... they were lucky that they were right and they had an RX-8 for only a couple thousand (about 1/4 the value at the time).

Also as you mention "all the years you have known him" and yet hes only been a member here for 1 year. I can tell you my return to this forum is incredibly disappointing.
The people who are "helping out" these days have very little knowledge and threads seem to go on for a while without any fixes figured out.
Old 07-06-2019, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cylinders flooding with fuel increases compression, it doesn't remove compression.
While a bit of fuel can cause compression to lower...
Old 07-06-2019, 09:12 PM
Hysterically Calm

I appreciate your perspective but you don't necessarily know the full picture at times as has been evident multiple times in just 48 hours.

This is why I suggested you do double checks before posting (writing in stone) your information. There sadly are quite a few egos residing on these forums that will ridicule erroneous information at the drop of a hat. It's in my signature the human nature of it all.

I don't agree with his methods and can totally understand your disappointment with how you've been treated, in a large part by him.

And by the way his join date is actually 2008 long before I was a member here, the account you see now is a newer account, but the individual has been, shared and seen more information on the 5th and 6th gen Honda's than most all people I know personally combined. But once again, you make assumptions based on your perspective instead of pausing to question why someone is saying whatever it is they are saying. Someone may know a tidbit you don't and if you head butt them for disagreeing, it doesn't usually go well.

I speak from experience on this matter as I to went through the learning curve of checking my beliefs of knowledge of Honda's when posting. I was bitten many times for incorrect information. Now I usually tend to verify what I think I know. And even then I remain open to the possibility I'm mistaken.

For example, the 96-00 civic USDM market does not have a bleeder screw, flooding can cause loss of compression, and muellersfan has been a part of this site since at least 2008. That is 3 errors I've observed of yours in less than 24 hours. To be fair, you wouldn't necessarily know the last one if you have been present for awhile.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I appreciate your perspective but you don't necessarily know the full picture at times as has been evident multiple times in just 48 hours.

This is why I suggested you do double checks before posting (writing in stone) your information. There sadly are quite a few egos residing on these forums that will ridicule erroneous information at the drop of a hat. It's in my signature the human nature of it all.

I don't agree with his methods and can totally understand your disappointment with how you've been treated, in a large part by him.

And by the way his join date is actually 2008 long before I was a member here, the account you see now is a newer account, but the individual has been, shared and seen more information on the 5th and 6th gen Honda's than most all people I know personally combined. But once again, you make assumptions based on your perspective instead of pausing to question why someone is saying whatever it is they are saying. Someone may know a tidbit you don't and if you head butt them for disagreeing, it doesn't usually go well.

I speak from experience on this matter as I to went through the learning curve of checking my beliefs of knowledge of Honda's when posting. I was bitten many times for incorrect information. Now I usually tend to verify what I think I know. And even then I remain open to the possibility I'm mistaken.

For example, the 96-00 civic USDM market does not have a bleeder screw, flooding can cause loss of compression, and muellersfan has been a part of this site since at least 2008. That is 3 errors I've observed of yours in less than 24 hours. To be fair, you wouldn't necessarily know the last one if you have been present for awhile.
What was his previous account? As you see I've been on this forum since 2008 and I helped out everyone in this section for years.

#1. Yes my 97 had a bleeder screw when I bought it. I just went to take a picture but I remembered that I now have a Z6 head. My Y8 head had a bleeder screw.
Look here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/96-00-Honda...-/231554086394
http://images1.americanlisted.com/nl...d_35017617.jpg <---- This one doesn't have anything but its a 1999. Its been a long time since I've looked for heads but.... looking at ebay here it looks as if 96-98 have a place for a bleeder and 99-00 do not.
Sure looks like thats a Y8 head with a place for a bleeder screw.
#2. While FUEL CAN cause a loss of compression.... flooding a cylinder doesn't necessarily lower compression and you can definitely hydrolock a motor with fuel. It all depends on how much fuel you are putting in there while attempting to start it. More fuel WILL create more compression as fuel will not all pass easily through the cylinder rings. It will take time for it to seep down.... unless you rings are ruined.
#3. Refer to above. What was his original username? Why does he not have his original account? I literally helped people here every night for years until I gave up due to the forum going to crap and me moving away from the Honda scene in general.
Old 07-07-2019, 05:45 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

an account name means nothing. if you understand what their comments mean it says much about what they know. theres always room for debate but if you can't counter then....well...
Old 07-07-2019, 07:25 AM
Hysterically Calm

@HondaMike2112, did you check for bright white spark?

You could put a small amount of oil into each cylinder and see if it holds compression with the gas pedal mashed to the floor (clear flood state) when cranking in spurts.
You did say the fuel rail changed? You could have leaky injectors that's constantly putting fuel into the cylinders causing the cylinder wash and loss of compression.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

@HondaMike2112, did you check for bright white spark?

You could put a small amount of oil into each cylinder and see if it holds compression with the gas pedal mashed to the floor (clear flood state) when cranking in spurts.
You did say the fuel rail changed? You could have leaky injectors that's constantly putting fuel into the cylinders causing the cylinder wash and loss of compression.
it would honestly be easier to check the things I mentioned first without taking the plugs out. If all those things check out then he could try putting oil in the cylinders. He should also check for spark as you mentioned.
i've seen plenty of times where there is no spark due to something being left unplugged during the swap.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
an account name means nothing. if you understand what their comments mean it says much about what they know. theres always room for debate but if you can't counter then....well...
This does actually matter.
Considering that he would have been around at the same time as me. Then I would know who he is.

Unless someone is lying about their time here. Which honestly would be pretty sad.