Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

D15 noob question

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D15 noob question

So I have a pretty much stock, and slightly abused, 92 Honda Civic four door. I am used to seeing the B16 and B18 motor swaps, and have heard of, but not with much detail, of a H24 (Probably wrong with the letter ) swap. But recently, I heard from what I would not consider a reliable source, that people are looking for D15's. I think that it was that they can handle higher compression, than the B16's/18's. If anyone can give me any help, links to threads, whatever, that would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:15 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: D15 noob question (Lament)

Oh where to start.

The biggest thing I could ask you to do is read the stickies at the tops of the forums.

I've never in my honda-money-pitted career have heard of an h24.

The h22 and h23 are H-series motors.

As far as the s compression difference you spoke of, it's differen't for each motor in each series. There are d-series engines with higher and lower compression than b-series.

Read the swaps thread at the top of the forum here.

People aren't necessarily "starving after" d-series either. They're a dime a dozen and worth exponentially less than a b/h/k/f series swap. However they do hold potential most cost effectively in the boost area. Going n/a on them is going to be expensive and net little results. A b-seires would be better for n/a, an h probably better. A k-series even more so.

Their 4bangers, what they all respond to best is a boost application. For the smaller displacement, specifically tubo applications. Superchargers aren't all that common among small displacement engines for a good reason.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:18 PM

Now everything that you are telling me sounds exactly what I have understood over the years. I figure that I was off on the letter for the size, it was probably more like a K24.

Thanks for the info, again, everything I prety much already knew, but I figured that people here would be better able to confirm or deny everything.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:42 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: (Lament)

k20/k24 require a lot of fabrication, not to mention $$$

There are more bang for buck setups out there.

with better transmissions too IMO.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:21 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (ek forever guy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">k20/k24 require a lot of fabrication, not to mention $$$

There are more bang for buck setups out there.

with better transmissions too IMO.</TD></TR></TABLE>

lemme guess, h2b?
Old 05-04-2007, 02:26 PM

Default Re: (ek forever guy)

True. But I am not actually interested in doing a swap or anthing. As I said, the car is a bit abused. The engine runs great, but the transmission is pretty much shot. There are other problems with the car, and hence, I have replaced it. I was just trying to get a guage if it was better to take care of some of the problems and sell the car as a whole, or if it might net me a few more bucks to part it out.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:29 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: (Lament)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by doood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

lemme guess, h2b? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ding ding ding ding.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lament &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">True. But I am not actually interested in doing a swap or anthing. As I said, the car is a bit abused. The engine runs great, but the transmission is pretty much shot. There are other problems with the car, and hence, I have replaced it. I was just trying to get a guage if it was better to take care of some of the problems and sell the car as a whole, or if it might net me a few more bucks to part it out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That all depends on your budget. If it's auto i'd just sell the car.

ANYTHING you do is going to depend on your budget, time, skill, goals.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:57 PM

Yeah, it's an automatic. Just wanted to get an idea. Thanks for your help.