Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

D vs B

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D vs B

ok guys ive been thinkin about this n talking about this subject with my friends for a while now (duh all of us owns a civic ek some with the D n some with an engine swap)

i just wanted to know what you guys think about both engines

ex:

D: Pros
Cheap to build n find
Cheap parts for it
Some people say it has better torque when its hooked up ("_)?
More engine space for upgrades

D: Cons
B has more power n torque even with bolt on upgrades on the D
I havent seen to many show cars with a D

B: Pros
More power then the D
Has more parts for it
theres different generations n classes
Looks wicked under the hood
Can handle more power then the D ("_)?

B: Cons
Expensive as hell
to many engines to choose from b16a, b16a2, b16b get the point?

So ya i would like to hear your opinions about these two great engines
Old 02-24-2007, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: D vs B (WanderingSamurai830)

this has being covered way to many times...
search.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:54 PM

short answer, no.

if your budget allows you to buy a b, by all means go for it.
if you can't really afford it, then don't.
when buying a major part for your car, think worst scenario...

if the engine blows or after the swap the car runs like ****....
can you afford to buy a new engine?
can you afford to be without your vehicle until the problem is resolved?

you decide.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:54 PM

look at the 1st thread on this forum
Old 02-24-2007, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

actually D has more torque due to a longer rod/stroke ratio

check out turbo d/b cars teh ds have a closer torque to hp then B s do.

i am a die hard D fan.

and there are just as much engines to choose from with D

ZC yes its a d basicly....Z6,Y8,Y7,A6 blah blah....as stated do a search...you will find people who love Ds and peopel who love Bs

but the saying goes i like my girls like i like my motors With Ds not Bs.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:04 PM

Money makes power, regardless if its d or b.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:08 PM

Default Re: (The Lobster)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The Lobster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">actually D has more torque due to a longer rod/stroke ratio

check out turbo d/b cars teh ds have a closer torque to hp then B s do.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I doubt that but if anything a D has relatively more torque in comparison to a B. As in per cc, a D may make more than a B (although I'm not 100% sure on this one).

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by F’NfastSOHCturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Money makes power, regardless if its d or b. </TD></TR></TABLE>

but real power makes money.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

they do. trust me its all about the rod/stroke ratio.

im to lazy to look go check out the FI section.

D s are making 404 hp and 34x lbs of torque

while bs are making 420 hp and 318 lbs of torque

same turbo and set up and such D does have to raise the boost just a tad more but still.

in the end if you have a D motor making the same power as B ON THE Drag strip the D will always win.

the extra torque will get you up to speed faster
Old 02-24-2007, 02:19 PM

Okay well with the addition of boost, I wont doubt a D makes great torque for its size. But I'm not sure when it comes to natural aspiriation.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:20 PM

Turbo your d & smoke your friends....
Old 02-24-2007, 02:23 PM

Default Re: (knockout)

Yeah n/a d's are not that great. Cost as must as a turbo set-up, possible more & have less power. A long time ago I thought to build a n/a d 1.6. Man did I see the light. It was a turbo.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (F'NfastSOHCturbo)

GO D all the way...........!
Old 02-24-2007, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (knockout)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by knockout &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Okay well with the addition of boost, I wont doubt a D makes great torque for its size. But I'm not sure when it comes to natural aspiriation.</TD></TR></TABLE>

N/A also makes good torque with basic tuning and boltons for a fraction of the cost of a B !
Old 02-24-2007, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you want to stay N/A then go with the B but if not stay with the D and boost...if i didn't live in CA i would definatly go boost on my Y8...damn carb laws....
Old 02-24-2007, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this is the ongoing battle isnt it? everyone says its cheaper to go the route of the d-series engine. but in my opinion, in the end you're going to need to kick out more money for a d-series motor to kick out more power. its just physically easier to make more power out of a DOHC motor. but its your car, its up to you.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:15 PM

Default Re: (ItR_98)

Like I said before. If you want to go fast your gonna spend money. I love d series. My new engine set-up on a sohc is close to $20,000. Basically set a goal & go for it. Me 700hp & 9 sec ET in sfwd. Once you set yours just stick to it & spend that $$$.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (ItR_98)

This hasn't been sorted out since both D and B motors started being produced at the same time and it won't be resolved in this thread . Everybody has a different opinion and there's no "right" answer.

Though I do have to say, I found some ambiguities in some of your statements.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WanderingSamurai830 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">D: Pros
Cheap to build n find
Cheap parts for it
Some people say it has better torque when its hooked up ("_)?
More engine space for upgrades

D: Cons
B has more power n torque even with bolt on upgrades on the D
I havent seen to many show cars with a D

B: Pros
More power then the D
Has more parts for it
theres different generations n classes
Looks wicked under the hood
Can handle more power then the D ("_)?

B: Cons
Expensive as hell
to many engines to choose from b16a, b16a2, b16b get the point?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't know what idiot told you it has more torque than a B when "hooked up" but that's COMPLETELY variable to the setup and is NOT true that either engine has more or less when "hooked up." Until you're talking about ABSOLUTE MAXIMUMS (maximum ever recorded) in which case I'm pretty sure the B marked higher in terms of torque. Very stupid phrase of a "pro" or a "con." COMPLETELY variable to the build.

More engine space? WTF does that mean? More upgrades doesn't have a direct correlation with how much space it's taking up under the hood.

Comparing it to another engine isn't fair to say it's a "con." Compared to a blown *** K20 it's got more torque - so you can't compare it saying it's a con.

You haven't seen that many show cars that have D series motors? So because YOU haven't seen that many d-series motors in show cars it's automatically a negative aspect about the motor? Haha. Talk about egocentric.

As for your B series remarks...

In 100% stock form...yes...but you can boost a D to own a ITR, GSR, or B16 for less than the swap would cost. So that's a VERY vague argument.

What the HELL does that mean, there's different generations and classes....there's different generations of D series motors too, what the hell does that mean, that part COMPLETELY lost me.

It looking "wicked" under the hood is an appearance OPINION, not backed by fact, therefore CANNOT be used as a "positive aspect about B series motors"

There's NOT too many engines to choose from, it's idiots that don't know anything about them that make it seem that way. I can't even believe you're using that as a con - that there's too many to choose from, that's like saying "women suck, there's too many to choose from."

ANALYSIS:
Basically your "pros vs cons" argument is so f8king flawed in just its statements that nobody could give you an accurate depiction of what's better (D v B) based on that anyways. Talk about ambiguity to the 20th power, hells yeah.

Also, like I started out the post, this hasn't been figured out in the last decade and a half and it won't be solved in this post. If you want to figure it out, do the following:

1) Decide what your budget is.
2) Decide what your goal(s) are.
3) Decide your possibilities.
4) Decide how much access to tools/garage you have.
5) Decide how mechanically able you are to do each possibility.

Basically if you do your research right and decide your budget and goals properly it will be a snap to decide what engine is best for your needs.

Old 02-24-2007, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This hasn't been sorted out since both D and B motors started being produced at the same time and it won't be resolved in this thread . Everybody has a different opinion and there's no "right" answer.

Though I do have to say, I found some ambiguities in some of your statements.

I don't know what idiot told you it has more torque than a B when "hooked up" but that's COMPLETELY variable to the setup and is NOT true that either engine has more or less when "hooked up." Until you're talking about ABSOLUTE MAXIMUMS (maximum ever recorded) in which case I'm pretty sure the B marked higher in terms of torque. Very stupid phrase of a "pro" or a "con." COMPLETELY variable to the build.

More engine space? WTF does that mean? More upgrades doesn't have a direct correlation with how much space it's taking up under the hood.

Comparing it to another engine isn't fair to say it's a "con." Compared to a blown *** K20 it's got more torque - so you can't compare it saying it's a con.

You haven't seen that many show cars that have D series motors? So because YOU haven't seen that many d-series motors in show cars it's automatically a negative aspect about the motor? Haha. Talk about egocentric.

As for your B series remarks...

In 100% stock form...yes...but you can boost a D to own a ITR, GSR, or B16 for less than the swap would cost. So that's a VERY vague argument.

What the HELL does that mean, there's different generations and classes....there's different generations of D series motors too, what the hell does that mean, that part COMPLETELY lost me.

It looking "wicked" under the hood is an appearance OPINION, not backed by fact, therefore CANNOT be used as a "positive aspect about B series motors"

There's NOT too many engines to choose from, it's idiots that don't know anything about them that make it seem that way. I can't even believe you're using that as a con - that there's too many to choose from, that's like saying "women suck, there's too many to choose from."

ANALYSIS:
Basically your "pros vs cons" argument is so f8king flawed in just its statements that nobody could give you an accurate depiction of what's better (D v B) based on that anyways. Talk about ambiguity to the 20th power, hells yeah.

Also, like I started out the post, this hasn't been figured out in the last decade and a half and it won't be solved in this post. If you want to figure it out, do the following:

1) Decide what your budget is.
2) Decide what your goal(s) are.
3) Decide your possibilities.
4) Decide how much access to tools/garage you have.
5) Decide how mechanically able you are to do each possibility.

Basically if you do your research right and decide your budget and goals properly it will be a snap to decide what engine is best for your needs.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

THANKYOU SIR!

you know i can not say this too many times on honda-tec but you make some VERY good and FAIR points you sir are a credit to the D and to honda tec i could not have said the above better my self

Old 02-24-2007, 05:36 PM

Default Re: (richard7968)

like others have said ... it what you want the engine to be ... some people like n/a d series motors and they may get only 150 whp .. and they love that engine others not so much

personaly i like D-series motors ...

what do you want in your engine ?

that all you have to think about ... what are your goals ... reach a resonable goal ... and the set another goal for the future ... build for yourslef not for others .
Old 02-24-2007, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HCJDM1)

The way I look at it is, I can buy 3 or 4 D's for the price of a B. Simple as that. Unless I decide to go NA, D series it is.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dann6968)

covered plenty of times
Old 02-25-2007, 02:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbociviccoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ItR_98 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this is the ongoing battle isnt it? everyone says its cheaper to go the route of the d-series engine. but in my opinion, in the end you're going to need to kick out more money for a d-series motor to kick out more power. its just physically easier to make more power out of a DOHC motor. but its your car, its up to you.</TD></TR></TABLE>

not trying to hate on you but thats well words fail me

why because there is more to a fast car then just the power you make for example WEIGHT! and as people have said the torque is better on the D compared to the b16 and torque is what gets you down the line!
Old 02-25-2007, 03:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (richard7968)

I SAY GO B SERIES CAUSE IT LOOKS WICKED

leave the D's to us...
Old 02-25-2007, 04:08 AM
GarageAlchemist

Default Re: (7808)

yea stay away from d series. There slow and only have one camshaft. Passwordjdm has b16 swaps for 2 grand.. you can even get vtec and 15 second qt/r passes
Old 02-25-2007, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The Lobster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">they do. trust me its all about the rod/stroke ratio.

im to lazy to look go check out the FI section.

D s are making 404 hp and 34x lbs of torque

while bs are making 420 hp and 318 lbs of torque

same turbo and set up and such D does have to raise the boost just a tad more but still.

in the end if you have a D motor making the same power as B ON THE Drag strip the D will always win.

the extra torque will get you up to speed faster </TD></TR></TABLE>

That is simply not true. The B (assuming same car, ect.) will beat the d. Simply because of the shorter gearing, and the ability to rev higher.

Quick Reply: D vs B