Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

D-series turbo.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D-series turbo.

Ok. From what I have been reading the D-series turbo is a nice setup. What I would like to know is what I need in way of parts that are necessity. I was thinking of getting a Drag Gen turbo kit and a bigger fuel pump but what I wasn't sure of is the other things that I would need e.g. other engine components. Also I have been reading that ppl boost at 10 psi why not higher are they daily driving at 10 or lower and is there any way to boost higher what more would I have to do.

What I am asking is for some links to where I can read up I tried doing searches but I have been coming up a lil empty handed. let me know.
Old 12-26-2003, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D-series turbo. (Daikirai)

10 psi is a nice number for a daily driver (thats a little high IMHO, but oh well). I run at about 8psi daily. You don't run tons of boost daily because it's not what our motors were designed for and they destory themselves more quickly the higher the boost. You will need all of the necessary turbo components (Fuel management, turbo, turbo manifold, etc...) and the only other thing I have upgraded on my car was the stock fuel pump. If you want to run more boost you need to build the bottom end. (rods/pistons, etc..) but your clutch will give up long before the block will. Try to read up in the FI forum and learn all you can about boost or you will end up paying TONS of money to have other people do it. Also, boost is going to be expensive no matter how you do it. If money is tight, keep saivng or try another option other than boost.

EDIT: Check this thread out. It has a bunch of D series dedicated forums
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=683947
Old 12-26-2003, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bump
Old 12-26-2003, 09:52 PM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (thrty8street)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thrty8street &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bump</TD></TR></TABLE>

Instead of bumping this up try the forced induction forum...
thats what its there for!
Old 12-26-2003, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (USDMDC2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by USDMDC2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Instead of bumping this up try the forced induction forum...
thats what its there for!</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah your a jew, go back to the sinagug
Old 12-26-2003, 10:59 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (thrty8street)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thrty8street &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yeah your a jew, go back to the sinagug</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you serious?
Old 12-26-2003, 11:16 PM

Default Re: (Dengar)

lol, i thought that was actually kind of funny

http://www.homemadeturbo.com
Old 12-26-2003, 11:27 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Daikirai &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok. From what I have been reading the D-series turbo is a nice setup. What I would like to know is what I need in way of parts that are necessity. I was thinking of getting a Drag Gen turbo kit and a bigger fuel pump but what I wasn't sure of is the other things that I would need e.g. other engine components. Also I have been reading that ppl boost at 10 psi why not higher are they daily driving at 10 or lower and is there any way to boost higher what more would I have to do.

What I am asking is for some links to where I can read up I tried doing searches but I have been coming up a lil empty handed. let me know.</TD></TR></TABLE>

D as is dual cam turbo? Muah ha ha ha..... if B series is an option i would go for it turbo instead! SOHC is fun but it really depends on what your long term engine goals are. Also....learn all you can about turbo motors in general as well as maintenence and all of that because they do take much more TLC than your NA motor.
Old 12-26-2003, 11:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Del_Slowest)

http://www.turbod16.com

First off do the hack, get DSM injectors w/ resistors its so much easier. Upgrade the fuel pump, clutch, and ignition. Get it tuned. Have fun beating Mustang GT's.
Old 12-27-2003, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

buy the book maximum boost by cory bell. u will learn alot.

also DSM 390s from an auto tsi or GSX are your best bet for daily driving. 450s are over kill on 8-10psi daily. i had the hardest time trying to get them to idle right. good luck with the setup.
Old 12-27-2003, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

When you add that turbo kit, your only issues will be fuel system mainly. The fuel mods I've done are RC Engineering 440cc injectors, Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump, and the A'pexi SAFC-II. If you get these three things, you'll be perfectly fine. The other things you have to worry about (after about 1 year with racing every now and then) is a new clutch/flywheel. I have a turbo d16 myself.
Old 12-27-2003, 10:04 AM

Default Re: D-series turbo. (mastarolla)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mastarolla &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

D as is dual cam turbo? Muah ha ha ha..... if B series is an option i would go for it turbo instead! SOHC is fun but it really depends on what your long term engine goals are. Also....learn all you can about turbo motors in general as well as maintenence and all of that because they do take much more TLC than your NA motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

dude, seriously... lay off the crack
Old 12-27-2003, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, I am running 9psi on my wifes 98 Civic Ex Sohc with an Apexi BB Turbo Kit. RC440cc, Hondata S200B, Apexi TC BOV, and Turbo XS MBC.. The car pulls really good for a daily driver. She has no problems spanking most cars that try her. It's been running good and solid for about 8-9 months. The only issues that we have run into is the Hondata acting up on us. You may run into a small traction issue, however other than that make sure you tune it right or have someone to tune it for you.
Old 12-27-2003, 12:49 PM
Multi-paradigm

Default Re: D-series turbo. (dabrown)

http://www.turbod16.com

A must-visit for SOHC Turbo n00bs.
Old 12-27-2003, 11:42 PM

Default Re: D-series turbo. (uranazo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by uranazo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

dude, seriously... lay off the crack</TD></TR></TABLE>

what crack... i just feel that DOHC motors are a better platform to build turbo off of. It also is true that you have to spend more time maintaining the engine, i know what im talking about, i just dont think it made much sense in my post above
Old 12-27-2003, 11:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

4-6 PSI ; upgrade clutch, exhaust system

7-9 PSI ; upgrade clutch, exhaust system, fuel system

10+ PSI ; upgrade clutch, exhaust system, fuel system, ignition system, radiator

I wouldn't go over 7 PSI in a daily driver. ACT (clutch), Thermal (exhaust) , AP'EXi (fuel), MSD (ignition), and any 94-01 Integra radiator. Personnally I'd go with a Integra Fluidyne. Maybe an GReddy Oil Cooler too?

All just IMHO.
Old 12-28-2003, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D-series turbo. (D16Z6racing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D16Z6racing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">4-6 PSI ; upgrade clutch, exhaust system

7-9 PSI ; upgrade clutch, exhaust system, fuel system

10+ PSI ; upgrade clutch, exhaust system, fuel system, ignition system, radiator

I wouldn't go over 7 PSI in a daily driver. ACT (clutch), Thermal (exhaust) , AP'EXi (fuel), MSD (ignition), and any 94-01 Integra radiator. Personnally I'd go with a Integra Fluidyne. Maybe an GReddy Oil Cooler too?
All just IMHO.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well said.

Also... dont forget about turbod16.com Great site
Old 12-28-2003, 07:01 AM
Vice President/CEO

Default Re: D-series turbo. (Typesi2nv)

The d-series setup is perfect for those who don't have the $$ for a swap. I mean ****, you could piece together a decent setup for way less then a swap, and the HP gain would totally make the car hella' fun to drive..

i'd rock the sohc w boost.
Old 12-28-2003, 07:19 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mastarolla &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

D as is dual cam turbo? Muah ha ha ha..... if B series is an option i would go for it turbo instead! SOHC is fun but it really depends on what your long term engine goals are. Also....learn all you can about turbo motors in general as well as maintenance and all of that because they do take much more TLC than your NA motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Man some people should use there brain before they open there mouth. If you want to go turbo D series there is a ton of info to be found. Like everyone said, read in the fi forum. The search button is your friend. Make sure to search in the archives. D series motors are cheap to replace if you blow it. Cost is about the same to build it up as a b series. The key to it all is finding the right combo of parts that work correctly together. My goal on my turbo d is to have 300whp on a completely stock internal'ed motor with the greddy kit. I am almost there. See my sig for my numbers. We are going to be tuning for 1 bar soon and i think that will get me to where i want to be. This is a daily driver that runs 10 psi full time on pump gas. Once again the search button is your friend.Hth
Toby
Old 12-28-2003, 09:08 AM

SOHC--------------&gt;the best yO!
Dont be hating on the singles
Old 12-28-2003, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D-series turbo. (norcalcrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by norcalcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Man some people should use there brain before they open there mouth. If you want to go turbo D series there is a ton of info to be found. Like everyone said, read in the fi forum. The search button is your friend. Make sure to search in the archives. D series motors are cheap to replace if you blow it. Cost is about the same to build it up as a b series. The key to it all is finding the right combo of parts that work correctly together. My goal on my turbo d is to have 300whp on a completely stock internal'ed motor with the greddy kit. I am almost there. See my sig for my numbers. We are going to be tuning for 1 bar soon and i think that will get me to where i want to be. This is a daily driver that runs 10 psi full time on pump gas. Once again the search button is your friend.Hth
Toby</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good luck with the plans. again on the numbers on 10psi with a greddy and z6. What's funny is that people switch to b series, build the block, buy a 3k turbo kit minus the cost of engine management, make these same type of numbers, and leave it alone lol. That **** is just STUPID. I don't see why everyone that wants a quick daily driver doesn't keep the D. SOHC rules bang for buck !
Old 12-28-2003, 10:18 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

what crack... i just feel that DOHC motors are a better platform to build turbo off of. It also is true that you have to spend more time maintaining the engine, i know what im talking about, i just dont think it made much sense in my post above</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is fine, but one major thing is that if you blow a d series motor you can get another one for around 500 bucks. We can sit and argue which is a better motor to build for boost, but the bottom line is that you can make very substancial power with a d series motor for much less than you can with a be series.

And to the guy who said he wouldn't daily drive more than 7 psi why?
That is all in the tune. If you have your setup tuned properly you can daily drive just about any amount of boost.
Old 12-29-2003, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D-series turbo. (D16Z6racing)

4-6 psi : upgrade fuel, VAFC 390cc injectors
7-10 psi : clutch, fuel, exhaust
11+ psi : clutch, Fuel managment, Exhaust, pistons, rods, headgasket, turbo cam.

under 10 psi u don't even really need a new clutch, it just depends on how many miles are on yours.

thats my 2 cents.
Old 12-29-2003, 08:32 AM
Snipper Snapper

good info everyone... thanks
Old 12-29-2003, 08:44 AM

Default Re: (IceCivic18s)

this is how i would do it:

1-10 psi: upgrade clutch, fuel system, exhaust.
10-100 psi: upgrade clutch, fuel system, exhaust, sleeve block, forged pistons, forged rods, rod bolts, new oe rod bearings, head studs, head gasket