Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

d series swap HELP! ON A COUPLE THINGS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default d series swap HELP! ON A COUPLE THINGS?

Alright, I have pulled my motor, d16y7 and will be replacing it with a d15b7..... just a cheap longblock that I picked up.

Questions:

****UPDATE******* O.k. I have installed everything.....connected all the plugs and hoses etc.. etc.... I finally got the car to start and now the tranny seems to be acting up! WTF...??!!! I drove it just fine for about two blocks, no sign of anything wrong....then all of a sudden the tranny just came out of gear and....nothing.....not hooking up when I shift..... just revs???!!!

HELP!!

I need to transfer the tranny from my y7 to the new motor, anything special I should know? (other than bolt off, and bolt on)

Next, I'm noticing a difference in the mounting of my distributor? Can I use my obd2 distributor off of my d16y7 for the d1b7?

And Lastly, I noticed that the alternator that I currently have has a separate wiring harness that feeds into the lower timing belt cover...... however the new block doesn't have this.....do I need a new alternator? One that has this plug right on it?

Thanks for your help, this has been a huge undertaking for me. lol

Modified by Ron Burgandy at 3:45 PM 1/30/2007

Modified by Ron Burgandy at 10:13 PM 2/1/2007
Old 01-27-2007, 09:30 AM

Default Re: d series swap HELP! ON A COUPLE THINGS? (Ron Burgandy)

stay classy san diego
Old 01-27-2007, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ron Burgandy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Alright, I have pulled my motor, d16y7 and will be replacing it with a d15b7..... just a cheap longblock that I picked up.

Questions:

I need to transfer the tranny from my y7 to the new motor, anything special I should know? (other than bolt off, and bolt on)

Next, I'm noticing a difference in the mounting of my distributor? Can I use my obd2 distributor off of my d16y7 for the d1b7?

And Lastly, I noticed that the alternator that I currently have has a separate wiring harness that feeds into the lower timing belt cover...... however the new block doesn't have this.....do I need a new alternator? One that has this plug right on it?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

The tranny is bolt off and bolt on. Not too sure about the distributor, but I think you can interchange the distributors since they are both non-VTEC. Lastly, the separate plug is for the crank fluctuation sensor (CFK). The D15B7 will not have it because it's only on the newer Y7/Y8 blocks.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: d series swap HELP! ON A COUPLE THINGS? (BlueIntegraBoy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueIntegraBoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The tranny is bolt off and bolt on. Not too sure about the distributor, but I think you can interchange the distributors since they are both non-VTEC. Lastly, the separate plug is for the crank fluctuation sensor (CFK). The D15B7 will not have it because it's only on the newer Y7/Y8 blocks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

A couple of questions, will the CFK sensor cause me problems if it is not hooked up?

And is there any special process in re-filling the transmission fluid (does it need to be blead etc....)

thanks so much
Old 01-27-2007, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ron Burgandy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Alright, I have pulled my motor, d16y7 and will be replacing it with a d15b7..... just a cheap longblock that I picked up.

Questions:

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Tranny is bolt off bolt on.

The dizzies are different, you need to use the B7 dizzy re-wired for the Y7 plug to fit. As in chop the plug end off the Y7 dizzy and wire it onto the plug end of the B7 dizzy. Just chop the plugs off of each one and wire up the Y7 plug on the B7 wires that are hanging off.

Just match and solder the wires, here's a pic:

The alternator plug you speak of is I believe the crank positioning sensor - OBD-I (the B7) doesn't have one, OBD-II (the Y7) does have one - you'll be using an OBD-I ECU which won't look for it - just tie it off, you need not worry about it.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ron Burgandy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

A couple of questions, will the CFK sensor cause me problems if it is not hooked up?

And is there any special process in re-filling the transmission fluid (does it need to be blead etc....)

thanks so much</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, the ECU won't look for it. You won't have a problem.

Just un-do the VSS and the top fill hole, fill it up through the VSS hole (it's wider) and when it starts to pour out the top hole stop filling). Then cap 'em both back off.

Shouldn't need any special process for it.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Any d series trans will mate up with any d series motor. You will need the obd1 dizzy. (TD-42U, I believe) Please dont do all-motor with a d. Boost that *****!
Old 01-27-2007, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: d series swap HELP! ON A COUPLE THINGS? (maynards_ek)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by maynards_ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Please dont do all-motor with a d. Boost that *****! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Turbo install is happening simultaneously

Old 01-27-2007, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Syndacate, thanks for your posts! That is really helpful.

Old 01-27-2007, 11:46 AM

just curious......why do u want a d15y7.......thats a 1.5L. are they better ? jw.....
Old 01-27-2007, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: d series swap HELP! ON A COUPLE THINGS? (deesixteen)

this is not a built motor or anything, it is a daily driven turbo car..... thats all. So in answering your ? 1.6 lt or 1.5 lts of displacement makes no difference.

Anyway, the block was cheap, and available so I bought it.

*****UPDATE***** MOTOR is in with new tranny bolted up, thanks for all the help, now I've just got to find a DISTRIBUTOR THAT WILL FIT.

if anyone knows of one lyin around that would be great thanks.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: d series swap HELP! ON A COUPLE THINGS? (deesixteen)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by deesixteen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just curious......why do u want a d15y7.......thats a 1.5L. are they better ? jw.....</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's a D16Y7, that's 1.6L

He's putting in a D15B7, that's 1.5L

It really doesn't make a difference, both are non-VTEC.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

need more help
Old 01-30-2007, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ttt
Old 01-30-2007, 10:57 PM

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1029958

the y8/y7 distributor has the same bolting mounts as a 92-95 dx/lx so that shouldnt be an issue....i thought that if the crank sensor wasnt reading that the ecu wouldnt allow the car to turn on? someone might want to clarify that but i bet 5 bux thats what it is...try splicing it like the link above says and let us know...hopw this helps
Old 01-31-2007, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: d series swap HELP! ON A COUPLE THINGS? (morningstar)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1029958
The dizzies are different, you need to use the B7 dizzy re-wired for the Y7 plug to fit. As in chop the plug end off the Y7 dizzy and wire it onto the plug end of the B7 dizzy. Just chop the plugs off of each one and wire up the Y7 plug on the B7 wires that are hanging off.

</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1029958

<U>the y8/y7 distributor has the same bolting mounts as a 92-95 dx/lx so that shouldnt be an issue[u/]....i thought that if the crank sensor wasnt reading that the ecu wouldnt allow the car to turn on? someone might want to clarify that but i bet 5 bux thats what it is...try splicing it like the link above says and let us know...hopw this helps </TD></TR></TABLE>

I think I got some bad info from syndacate above.....

Also, I will be using a p06 ecu obdI so that shouldn't look for the Crank sensor right? And finially can anyone verify that the wiring diagram posted above is for a d-series motor and not for a B- series???
Old 01-31-2007, 04:55 PM

syndacate, when you fill the tranny up, you let it flow from the top vent?

how do you know this is level with the drain hole?

reason i ask is im looking for a better way than getting under my car, and never really though about the vent hole would be level with the drain
Old 01-31-2007, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (YoungKadafi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by YoungKadafi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">syndacate, when you fill the tranny up, you let it flow from the top vent?

how do you know this is level with the drain hole?

reason i ask is im looking for a better way than getting under my car, and never really though about the vent hole would be level with the drain</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hi there! and welcome to my thread......although I am sure you are aware that you are adding nothing to help MY questions......you could exhibit a little courtesy and keep your questions to someone else to a PERSONAL MESSAGE...... thanks
Old 01-31-2007, 05:21 PM

oh im sorry buddy, just trying to stay classy, you bet next time i will keep it to a pm, and not destroy your already burning to the ground thread. Now since you dont know what the hell your doing, i will shed some light.

I believe your going obd2a, to obd 1, now you obviously dont know what the hell your doing, else your car would be running, i assume your dropping this in an OBD2 car. funny
Old 01-31-2007, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (YoungKadafi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by YoungKadafi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oh im sorry buddy, just trying to stay classy, you bet next time i will keep it to a pm, and not destroy your already burning to the ground thread. Now since you dont know what the hell your doing, i will shed some light.

I believe your going obd2a, to obd 1, now you obviously dont know what the hell your doing, else your car would be running, i assume your dropping this in an OBD2 car. funny</TD></TR></TABLE>

I really didn't expect you to get mad at me for telling you to please keep your comments and questions about your stuff to yourself.....WOW!

As for this thread burning to the ground???? ????lol ok drama queen.....i ask questions when i need them and get some answers....I don't get you.

And as for me not knowing what the hell I'm doing......well, I know a enough to get by and seems like this site is up here for a reason.......or maybe i'm wrong on that. I am not a mechanic, and like to save a bit of money doing things myself..... sohc honda motors are not all that complex, im sure you would agree. However before I dive into something I have not done before I get a little backup knowledge.....I think you need to get over yourself and not get so hostile. I'm sure others would agree.

Now as for the swap, yes it's an obdI motor in an obdIIa car....... not a big deal, its done all the time......but of coarse you know this......fuel pump works but there is an issue with the dizzy.....not getting spark to the plugs......and I replaced the coil so that is not the prob.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:01 AM

Default Re: (Ron Burgandy)

ok it sounds like youre converting to obd1 so i assume you got the harness for the ecu...if not go get one...that will alleviate alot of the problems....like i said the y7 dizzy should bolt up to the d15...if you have any pics of how its mounted please post them up...
Old 02-01-2007, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you test the dizzy to make sure it does work? just to make sure you installed everything corrctly. Are any spark plugs getting spark?
Old 02-01-2007, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, have the jumper harness......and none of the plugs are getting spark.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, I just inspected the distributor plug that I spliced..... and all the wires are hooked up to the corresponding colors, the only wires that there was even a chance of being incorrect were the lightish pink (almost white looking) and the light white wires...... but they are also spliced with their exact color match....???
Old 02-01-2007, 06:07 PM

Default Re: (Ron Burgandy)

check the ignitor, the coil and the main relay...also check your fuses...its probably something dumb

Quick Reply: d series swap HELP! ON A COUPLE THINGS?