Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Cylinder 2 Misfire out of F'in no where? How?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cylinder 2 Misfire out of F'in no where? How?

Alright, a 00 Civic EX with a stock y8. (parents car). The car was sitting for a couple weeks withoutbeing driven, well one morning my mom tries to start the car and says it ran like **** so she tuned it off and took another car. Today run the code and cylinder 2 misfire. The car ran perfect before the 2 week break. how all of a sudden did this happen? how can i fix it?
Old 11-24-2004, 03:28 PM
All Motor Mentor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Cylinder 2 Misfire out of F'in no where? How? (SiBuddy00)

check your plug wires,, specifically the cylinder #2 but they are probably due for replacement.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:32 PM

Default Re: Cylinder 2 Misfire out of F'in no where? How? (00Red_SiR)

yep check the wires and the plugs themself... if that dosnt help you mught wanna look into the dizzy
Old 11-26-2004, 11:34 AM
KSE

Default Re: Cylinder 2 Misfire out of F'in no where? How? (unbelievableEG)

I had that problem before. Changed my spark plugs, removed the backup fuse for 10 seconds, and no more Check engine light.
Old 11-27-2004, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cylinder 2 Misfire out of F'in no where? How? (KSE)

spark plugs were good and so is the wires could it be the injector?
Old 11-27-2004, 11:36 AM
All Motor Mentor

no, misfire is spark related. How did you determine your plug wires and plugs were ok?
Old 11-27-2004, 02:44 PM

also may look at the dizzy cap and or rotor. but usually the altercation would ba wire .
Old 11-28-2004, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00Red_SiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no, misfire is spark related. How did you determine your plug wires and plugs were ok?</TD></TR></TABLE>
swapped plugs and did a currency test on the wire. could it be the injector? thats next on the things to check list. I just don't get it, car runs so perfect, sits for a week or so, start it up, and the #2 cylinder is misfiring, what kinda bullshit is that, how does that just "happen" from sitting?
Old 11-28-2004, 03:18 PM
All Motor Mentor

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SiBuddy00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
swapped plugs and did a currency test on the wire. could it be the injector? thats next on the things to check list. I just don't get it, car runs so perfect, sits for a week or so, start it up, and the #2 cylinder is misfiring, what kinda bullshit is that, how does that just "happen" from sitting?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, fuel injectors have to do with fuel delivery, not spark delivery and that's what a misfire is. Moisture buildup from sitting around after being driven can trigger a misfire. Try misting water over your plug wires with the car running in the dark and look for any arcing. Also mist the water heavily over and around the distributor cap looking for the same thing. If the car's due for plugs or wires or cap and rotor to be changed then do it. If the car seems to be fine now then it's just an intermittent problem with the electrical system (cap/wires/plugs) caused by moisture or sometimes it's a loose plug wire.
Old 11-28-2004, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00Red_SiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No, fuel injectors have to do with fuel delivery, not spark delivery and that's what a misfire is. Moisture buildup from sitting around after being driven can trigger a misfire. Try misting water over your plug wires with the car running in the dark and look for any arcing. Also mist the water heavily over and around the distributor cap looking for the same thing. If the car's due for plugs or wires or cap and rotor to be changed then do it. If the car seems to be fine now then it's just an intermittent problem with the electrical system (cap/wires/plugs) caused by moisture or sometimes it's a loose plug wire.</TD></TR></TABLE>
car doesn't have that many miles on it. would it just work itself out? So if it was moisture could it be out of that stage now? like it might just be ok now?
Old 11-28-2004, 08:56 PM
All Motor Mentor

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SiBuddy00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
car doesn't have that many miles on it. would it just work itself out? So if it was moisture could it be out of that stage now? like it might just be ok now?</TD></TR></TABLE>

well if it's just a moisture issue it will work itself out by being driven regularly because the heat from the engine will naturally evaporate moisture around the electronics. If it was a loose plug wire, you checking them out would have probably fixed it by pushing them all back on tight. If it's a plug with a hairline crack in it's upper insulator it will happen again eventually but in the new cylinder you put it in.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the car was running for awhile, then all of a sudden it started to idle perfect but a bunch of white smoke came out , could that be all the excess gas burning up from it starting to fire again or is that mean, bad ****
Old 11-29-2004, 02:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

White smoke or even a little blue is not unusual on an engine that has been missing or wont start. If the smoke clears up within 30 seconds or so and the car is running fine there is no worries. The worst case however could be that you have a blown head gasket that dripped coolant into that cylinder causing it to miss fire for a few minutes. If this is the case however, the problem will surly return.

Did you check for moisture inside the spark plug well? Many after market (or old OEM) wires do not seal tightly around the valve cover. A small amount of moisture down around the spark plug can cause the spark to jump to the inside of the well rather then through the plug. Usually this happens if you wash your engine. Also, a 'miss fire' is not exactly talking about the spark on the spark plug miss firing. It's talking about the cylinder miss firing. A faulty or sticking injector can also cause an intermittent or constant miss fire due to lack of fuel in the combustion chamber to burn.. though this is highly unlikely it can cause the same symptoms. This is sometimes diagnosed by simply listening to the injector in question while the car is running.

If its a constant miss fire.. meaning running on 3 cylinders at all times.. run it for about 15 seconds and check the plug in that cylinder.. if the plug is wet your getting fuel but no spark to burn it.
Old 11-29-2004, 06:59 AM
All Motor Mentor

Default Re: Cylinder 2 Misfire out of F'in no where? How? (spdweb.net)

I can tell you right now it's NOT a fuel injector. The white smoke coming out of the back of the car is mostly just moisture being burned off from the exhaust system from sitting around. If it was to last quite a while I'd be more concerned.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I fired it up and the car ran for around 10 seconds and the cel started to blink. The car wasn't running perfectly smooth but not too bad. No white smoke at the time, but I only ran it for around 20 seconds.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright let it run for awhile this time, reset the ecu, cel blinks, check it, and it remains to be cylinder #2. White smoke only starts to come out after the cars been running for 30 seconds or so. It's constant after that. Thinkin im gunna try swappin the injectors tomorrow as thats the next troubleshooting guide in the Honda Server Manual. Car is really ******* pissing me off now, I have another thread on how the SRS light wont go off no matter what. I swear I'm going to run this thing off a cliff. Any more suggesttions before minor surgery begins, let me know please.
Old 09-10-2015, 01:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 00Red_SiR
no, misfire is spark related. How did you determine your plug wires and plugs were ok?

Correction a bad injector can cause a misfire