Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

The CX was awesome.....while it lasted....

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 02:45 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The CX was awesome.....while it lasted....

Whats up everybody...
As most of u know me and H-T member Hatch-E have been in the process for the last couple days of trading chassis. Well tonight we both got both swaps complete, no CEL's, no problems. We signed titles over to make the deal complete. I get home, realize I need some gas and wanted to drive the CX a little more, so I decide to head over to the gas station and fill up. I fill up and roll out of the gas station then the unthinkable happened. The car shut off. I pulled over to the side of the road(literally just out of the gas station parking lot), and popped the hood. What do i find? A shredded timing belt(#2 to be exact, the first belt was an OEM belt and i learned my lesson when u have high lift cams, so I got the PE belt). The timing belt was Power Enterprise and I am not blaming the belt or installion error. The belt has been on the car for awhile and has not shown any signs of wear or fatigue. I EVEN checked it while at the QT and it was fine. Ken(Black R) runs PE belts on his ITR and EF hatch and has had no problems, same goes for many others w/ high lift cams such as Toda B, C, or Skunk2's, etc.
Tomorrow im getting it towed to a shop (raceworks in oakwood) so they can access the damage, hopefully since i was basically just above idle(I was coasting to a stop), the valves are ok and i'll just need a new belt. If the head needs to be redone, then I guess i'll have to sell it to the shop, seeing as how I have no job nor money to fix it. The CX was really fun for the 3miles I put on it testing it out. mad.gif
I made a few phone calls and a friend was able to come give me a ride back to my apt. . I havent slept yet and doubt I will be able too until I find out what the CX's fate is.
I'll keep everyone updated on the news *Crossing fingers*
Old 10-27-2004, 04:07 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: The CX was awesome.....while it lasted.... (blykins)

WTF mate?

Dude you seriously have the shittiest luck when it comes to engines. I'm so sorry Brett.

Is swapping in a borrowed/given SOHC an option rather than having to sell the car or engine to a shop?
Old 10-27-2004, 04:11 AM
Banned

Default Re: The CX was awesome.....while it lasted.... (B18C5-EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">WTF mate?

Dude you seriously have the shittiest luck when it comes to engines. I'm so sorry Brett.

Is swapping in a borrowed/given SOHC an option rather than having to sell the car or engine to a shop?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I guess I could do that. Selling the car is definitely NOT what i want to do, seeing as how I've waited like 2yrs for a CX chassis and the night I get it, my t-belt breaks. We'll have to see what the damage is and go from there. I'll try to post pics if I can. I'm sure other PE users are concerned.
On a "lighter" note, the CX is a BIG difference from the 94 Si I previously had. I noticed the most difference in braking and top end. Low/mid range felt the same suprisingly.

Modified by blykins at 8:23 AM 10/27/2004
Old 10-27-2004, 04:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

.....well I know the belt was installed and tensioned correctly.

What valve lash is on there?

Cut cover?
Old 10-27-2004, 05:05 AM
Banned

Default Re: (Black R)

Valve lash: Toda spec (.2mm cold)
Cut valve cover? Yes (pic)

Old 10-27-2004, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blykins)

When Eric (P1mpslap) and I put his new T-belt on after this piston install, he got a small rock lodged in the timing cover somehow. It wedged itself between the ribbing at the bottom of the block and the belt. It shredded the living hell out of it.
Old 10-27-2004, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The CX was awesome.....while it lasted.... (B18C5-EH2)

sohc
Old 10-27-2004, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (94si94cx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94si94cx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When Eric (P1mpslap) and I put his new T-belt on after this piston install, he got a small rock lodged in the timing cover somehow. It wedged itself between the ribbing at the bottom of the block and the belt. It shredded the living hell out of it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

.....what was the damage aside from the shredded belt?

Forced full rebuild?
Old 10-27-2004, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No damage other than the belt itself. We drove it around with the rock and we could immediately smell the belt. Upon inspection everything was ok other than the belt.

Take in mind that the belt never completely separated. It only became shredded and weaker.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:36 AM
Banned

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Black R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">.....what was the damage aside from the shredded belt?

Forced full rebuild?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I had no idea eric went thru a t-belt. My bottom end is forged(JE/Eagle rods) so hopefully it survived. I found a place that sells PE belts(b18C) for 130 shipped. I'll prolly just order a belt from them.(www.injectedperformance.com)
Old 10-27-2004, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh no!!!
Old 10-27-2004, 07:41 AM
Banned

Ok i made up my mind. I ordered the PE belt a few minutes ago but had it shipped to the shop, after thinking about stuff im going to get the car towed back to the hanger where we did the swapparoo, and possibly try to figure out wtf happened. On friday ill go up to the shop and get the PE belt and then this weekend maybe vteckidd, ken, johnzm, etc can come and we can have a little "fix the cx" meet at the hanger. The camera is at the hanger so i'll post pics once i get back here from there.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yo yo! Hit me up and let me know when the "Fix the CX" meet is gonna be
Old 10-27-2004, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blykins &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Cut valve cover? Yes </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 10-27-2004, 11:46 AM
Banned

Default Re: (owen_the_soyboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by owen_the_soyboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> </TD></TR></TABLE>

It was cut for tuning purposes(to access the cam gears). All timing belt covers are on(looks like the top one got torn off).
Pics of what happened:

Old 10-27-2004, 11:50 AM

Nice rims! Look just like mine
Old 10-27-2004, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (veetekstud)

Hey those are my old wheels!!!
Old 10-27-2004, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blykins &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
It was cut for tuning purposes(to access the cam gears). All timing belt covers are on(looks like the top one got torn off). </TD></TR></TABLE> its still stupid to run with the timing belt having ANY access/holes open to it. you proved why. what a waste of time and money because you want to save what, 5 minutes of removing the valvecover when you are tuning? pfffffffffffffft

<U>sorry </U>it happened but man, you asked for it.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:03 PM
Banned

Default Re: (owen_the_soyboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by owen_the_soyboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> its still stupid to run with the timing belt having ANY access/holes open to it. you proved why. what a waste of time and money because you want to save what, 5 minutes of removing the valvecover when you are tuning? pfffffffffffffft

<U>sorry </U>it happened but man, you asked for it.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Whatever u say mr. smartypants.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That doesn't look pretty.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:36 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (Inspector Gadget)

i heard the toda is notorious about breaking belts.. but im not really sure if its there cam gears that is doing it or there cams... i dont think that really ever been solved yet.. sinc ei think most of the people that has toda cams has toda gears also, i have ran skunk2 s3 with skunk2 gears and never had any problems with breaking belts like that..and this was a 10k rpm all motor b16 that i had built a few years ago.. this is also when skunk2's cams were kinna new also
Old 10-27-2004, 01:08 PM

Default Re: (ShowTymers619)

I'm running a toda belt and mine's holding strong. Knock on wood of course.

I wouldn't trust an oem belt, schucks, or any of those with a built motor.

Hopefully everything turns out ok with your motor.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:56 PM
len
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (HyBriDcxR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HyBriDcxR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm running a toda belt and mine's holding strong. Knock on wood of course.</TD></TR></TABLE>

A Toda belt is a red Power Enterprise belt with Toda part number and Logo on it.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (len)

hey i just read your other post about swapping chassis'....

just so you know, my friend snapped his h22 belt at a pretty much standstill too, so there wasn't any internal damage. replaced the belt and he was on his way.

good luck to ya
Old 10-27-2004, 08:08 PM

Default Re: (jdmsiR20)

well it looks like the cams are pretty lined up in that pic, according to the timing marks. you may be just fine, if you didnt try to start it after it stalled that is.

Landon

Quick Reply: The CX was awesome.....while it lasted....