Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

cv axels -- when to fix

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cv axels -- when to fix

Ive got a 95 civic, the driver side cv axel has been clicking for a week or two, how long before it breaks? i think its started clicking more today. will it just break off while im going 80 miles an hour down the highway?

any help would be apreciated
Old 04-02-2006, 05:14 PM

Default Re: cv axels -- when to fix (yaced)

have u looked at the axle cv boot to see if it has busted? i.e. grease on suspension parts or on the inner side of the wheel?
Old 04-02-2006, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should replace them right away. THere is no way to tell how long they will last.

Old 04-02-2006, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Land of the Hillbillies and Shotguns, Ontario, Canada
Default Re: cv axels -- when to fix (Slopoke)

When A C/V Axle is bad. It will emit a clicking noise especially during sharp turns. That clicking noise is the worn out ball bearings which hold up the outer yokr to the axle itself as one piece. Once those bearings slide out of place that's it.

Once you hear that clicking, you probably have less than 6 months to replace it before it's totally gone. Your wheel is held on to the Hub, to the sterring knuckle tothe control arms to the body, and the steering rack will still remain connected. In other words your wheel should not fall off nor should you loose steering. What you will loose is the power transfer from the transmission to your wheel. So you will not be going anywhere. You may be on the left lane and will not be able to speed up and reach over to the right shoulder of the highway (most people with this problem get stuck on the left lane of the highway which is DANGEROUS)
Old 04-02-2006, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Land of the Hillbillies and Shotguns, Ontario, Canada
Default Re: cv axels -- when to fix (Rayz_Si)

I say replace it as soon as you can, once your cash permits.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my friends snaped going 10mph in a parking lot once.. the car fell on a side...
Old 04-03-2006, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: cv axels -- when to fix (john666)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by john666 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my friends snaped going 10mph in a parking lot once.. the car fell on a side...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Fell on a side?
Not from an axle. Maybe a ball joint or something.
The axles do not support the vehicles weight.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cv axels -- when to fix (Slopoke)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Slopoke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Fell on a side?
Not from an axle. Maybe a ball joint or something.
The axles do not support the vehicles weight.</TD></TR></TABLE>

must've fell on his head.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=382416 for replacing axles

NOTE: You shouldn't have to change the tranny fluid, you can check it while you're down there but you shouldn't lose too much...

rebuilt axle is ~$60 after you give the core back

Magic trick lower ball joint seperation: Loosen castle nut on lower ball joint. Jack up suspension and insert 1/2" drive ratchet (or other similar sized metal object) where the yellow box is then lower the suspension till it pops off...
Old 04-04-2006, 08:26 PM

Default Re: cv axels -- when to fix (miahmouse)

^^^^^^^^^^^ the above metohd works everytime
Old 04-04-2006, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: cv axels -- when to fix (Rayz_Si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rayz_Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Once you hear that clicking, you probably have less than 6 months to replace it before it's totally gone. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I had mine go the next day after it had started clicking. It sucks. tow truck and the hassle is not worth the price of a new one. Just replace it. Hell, replace both at the same time. As soon as one goes the other one is probably not far behind.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cv axels -- when to fix (eK9aT10pSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eK9aT10pSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^^^^^^^^^^^ the above metohd works everytime </TD></TR></TABLE>

So does a pickle fork.

Replace that shiot ASAP. Can't take any chances on a DD.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:50 AM

hey newbie actually you should get them replaced asap same thing happened to me i didnt have enough money at the time...was being cheap...now im paying $1600 to get a tranny overhaul and new cv's. same year and everything. GET EM FIXED!!!
Old 04-05-2006, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cv axels -- when to fix (boo bees)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boo bees &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

So does a pickle fork.

Replace that shiot ASAP. Can't take any chances on a DD.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I used to use a pickle fork or the hammer method till I ran into one that gods will was holding together. The magic trick is more powerful than gods will
am I gonna go to hell for saying that?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by metalmex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey newbie actually you should get them replaced asap same thing happened to me i didnt have enough money at the time...was being cheap...now im paying $1600 to get a tranny overhaul and new cv's. same year and everything. GET EM FIXED!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

How the hell did a cv joint cause damage to your tranny??? I've had plenty of axles go bad and break and not a single tranny problem. Seriously, that's like saying "I didn't want to replace the plug wires, and now I need new plug wires and a valve job!!!". He may be a newb, but what you just said is f-n stupid
Old 04-05-2006, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cv axels -- when to fix (miahmouse)

Mine clicked for at least 8 months, took it out when I had the time/money and axle moved around fine after all of that abuse, just sounded a little abrasive when I moved it around in my hand.

Bottom line, bunch of noobs here are coming in with "@#$# must fix ASAP" and don't really know what they're talking about. It might want to sieze, it might want to just give up and break causing free spinning, both of those are bad but they aren't going to take out other parts of the car or cause the car to fall.

It's broke, you should fix it, but don't quit your job or cancel doctors appointments so you can fix it this weekend.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:11 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by miahmouse &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">must've fell on his head.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=382416 for replacing axles

NOTE: You shouldn't have to change the tranny fluid, you can check it while you're down there but you shouldn't lose too much...

rebuilt axle is ~$60 after you give the core back

Magic trick lower ball joint seperation: Loosen castle nut on lower ball joint. Jack up suspension and insert 1/2" drive ratchet (or other similar sized metal object) where the yellow box is then lower the suspension till it pops off...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

hahaa i thought i was the only one who did this ;x . the pickle fork always rips the ball joiint boot for me

-joseph
Old 04-05-2006, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cv axels -- when to fix (john666)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by john666 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my friends snaped going 10mph in a parking lot once.. the car fell on a side...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for that, I needed a good laugh, made me feel better about rota's.